General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

?psalus
Apsalus

MS Security Essentials is being mussed v. probably infected.

My MSE icon disappeared from my systray in Win7 (it had been hidden I later found) so I went to open it via the Start menu where I was informed that the "msseces.exe has been changed or moved so the shortcut will no longer work properly."

I'm pretty sure I've picked something nasty up. msseces.exe is still running, but it doesn't pick anything up after a full scan. What should I do? Shut it down and grab Nod32 or use an online scanner?

-e- I also ran Spybot S&D after MSE came up empty-handed, but I haven't been paying attention to whether or not SB S&D is still a valid tool anymore, as it only found one tracking cookie.

Last edited by Apsalus; 04-21-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

fieroloki

safemode with networking and run malwarebytes, superantispyware and combo fix

hawk82
[G]enerous [M]otherucker

If the above doesn't fix the issue, or doesn't find any suspicious files, then try:

Reinstall MSE. I've seen issues where the update from the older version to the newer version (sorry can't remember the version numbers, newer version has a grey background with an offwhite netting) didn't work 100%. Reinstalling MSE fixed the issue.
http://www.fuckingright.com/genmay/funnypics/
http://www.fuckingright.com/genmay/funnypics_2007-01-30.rar

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroloki View Post
safemode with networking and run malwarebytes, superantispyware and combo fix
I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk82 View Post
If the above doesn't fix the issue, or doesn't find any suspicious files, then try:

Reinstall MSE. I've seen issues where the update from the older version to the newer version (sorry can't remember the version numbers, newer version has a grey background with an offwhite netting) didn't work 100%. Reinstalling MSE fixed the issue.
Ah, interesting. I saw that attributed to my symptoms while pawing through the Google results, but after that hot piece of home video throwing a MSE red flag, I wasn't so sure that MSE in fact killed everything that I inadvertently unleashed. First infected .MOV that I've ever encountered (Rebhip.A worm).

Typhoon43

combofix is always my absolute first step. Then I follow with SAS or Malwarebytes. Never had that combo not work. Good luck man.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Weird... thankfully, I'm using NOD32, but I've been playing ALOT with themes and such, and had some oddball issues, so I thought I'd DL combofix and give it a whirl. Since upgrading to the newest Firefox, I got the little VirusTotal right-click tool, and so far it's coming back with some hits on the scans, which has me wondering if combofix itself isn't a fucking virus!!

Eh, I think I'll stick to the usual trio (NOD32, S:S&D, SAS, and MB), until something else comes up.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

fieroloki

Spybot isnt near as good as it used to be.... I dont even mess with it anymore.

zeos

here is what i do, assuming you can get into safe mode and explorer loads.

safe mode:
1. purera -> check all and run
2. ccleaner -> make sure to clear prefetch and java in addition to defaults
3. hijackthis -> remove stuff (if you don't know what to remove don't use hijackthis)
4. run malwarebytes, spybot, superantispyware, a-squared, and avira
5. after the programs have done their thing restart

regular mode:
1. combofix -> let install recovery console if it asks
2. rootkit revealer if 32bit os
3. remove and reinstall anti-virus program if necessary
4. reset ie
5. update system, java (remove old versions), flash, and adobe reader (if installed)

i uploaded this zip file with the programs that i mentioned.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5glch23r4bit0qm

in the anti-spyware folder there is the command line version of a-squared with a batch file that will update and scan, purera, ccleaner, malwarebytes, spybot, super antispyware portable, combofix, and hijackthis; malwarebytes and spybot are the only programs that require an install.

in the antivirus folder there are removal tools for several anti-virus programs and the command line version of avira with a batch file that updates and scans.

in the repair folder there are various utilities such as dial-a-fix, winsockfix, autoruns, processexplorer, etc.

fieroloki

Why would you have him run any cleaning tools in normal mode? You want to run them in safe mode.

zeos

in my experience combofix has always worked better in normal mode.

fieroloki

Odd