General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

HotLikeSalsa

Help Me Pick One Of These 3 Laptops

I've narrowed it down to these three, lets take a look.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834152251
My original choice was this one, Equipped with an i5, 6GB of RAM, and the slowest video card of the three a geforce gt 425m.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834220733
Second laptop has the best video card out of the bunch, a geforce GTX260m also comes with 6GB of ram but falls short in the processor category with a core 2 duo.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834220796
Third laptop also comes with an i5, a geforce GTS 360m, but only has 4gb of ram.

Which would you guys suggest?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Perry County

Do you plan on gaming much? Also, RAM is cheap and easily upgradable. The first one has the fastest processor and isn't a 17" monster.

HotLikeSalsa

Yeah I do plan on gaming, I sold my desktop so I'm looking for something that's more of a replacement. I'll be lugging it around school also. Is the GT 425 decent for gaming?

Perry County

Define "decent"? I have a similar-ish laptop to those (i5@2.53ghz with a 5470 and 4GB of RAM) and I get ~20 fps in Mass Effect 2 with everything turned on except the film grain @1366x768. The GT425 is ~30-40% better depending on the game/benchmark.

HotLikeSalsa

Hmm well I have no Idea what to pick between the three. I'm not a graphics whore but it would be nice to run anything that comes out in the next few years on medium-ish settings. I'm tempted to get one with the GTX 260 but I really want to get out of the core 2 duo family.

WILLIAM NOT
theLiberator
"I hate my hair in these anigifs, I'm glad I'm shooting myself in the head in at least one of them f

If you plan on gaming, get a MSI GX640.

Major: Physics, Minor: Chemistry, Life: Non-existant

2[H]4U

Ditch them and go with the MBP.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

MACBOOK AIR!!!1

Or if you aren't a poofter with too much money to burn and looking for a desktop replacement go for #2. The C2D will hardly be overpowered by anything you do..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

wilse

Will you be gaming on the go or just gaming when you're home?

If you just game at home, you could maybe consider a better traveling laptop - lightweight with just integrated graphics and then use a DIY ViDock to hook up a desktop graphics card for gaming at home.

HotLikeSalsa

Haha If buying a MBP laptop was in my budget I'd say f that and get an SLI laptop for the same price, I mean the MBP 15" STARTS at $1799.. and it comes with a Radeon 6490m which is actually worse than any of the cards in the three I was considering, It also has 2GB less RAM. The only thing it bests them in with it's I7 but that does not justify a $1000 price increase. If I really want to run MAC OS you can install it on a PC pretty easily, but what's the point, if I was going to choose any other OS I'd throw linux on at least it looks nice with all it's fancy compiz animations, but even then sitting at my desk spinning the desktop cube get's boring after a while.

HotLikeSalsa

Dbl post :/

Perry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLikeSalsa View Post
Haha If buying a MBP laptop was in my budget I'd say f that and get an SLI laptop for the same price, I mean the MBP 15" STARTS at $1799.. and it comes with a Radeon 6490m which is actually worse than any of the cards in the three I was considering, It also has 2GB less RAM. The only thing it bests them in with it's I7 but that does not justify a $1000 price increase. If I really want to run MAC OS you can install it on a PC pretty easily, but what's the point, if I was going to choose any other OS I'd throw linux on at least it looks nice with all it's fancy compiz animations, but even then sitting at my desk spinning the desktop cube get's boring after a while.

Word.

HotLikeSalsa

Thanks for the help, I just ordered the first one. I don't fell like lugging a 17" laptop around campus.