General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

Computer restarted on its own and now it won't boot past Windows XP loading screen...

My computer is about 7 or 8 years old now, it's one I built myself, and I've never had any trouble with it until today. I was browsing, and out of nowhere it restarted itself, and now it just keeps restarting over and over again and won't boot past the Windows XP loading screen. The blue bar on the loading screen goes through once, then it stops and restarts. Did my main HD go out?? I have no idea what would cause this all the sudden other than HD failure. Thanks for any help. I need it for school, so I hope I can get it back up and running as soon as possible.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Coqui

Do you see a split second of a BSOD?

Chances are your MBR is messed up so yeah you might need to replace the HD

fieroloki

Boot off the XP cd and do a repair. The first repair option. do the fixmbr and fixboot commands

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Do you see a split second of a BSOD?

Chances are your MBR is messed up so yeah you might need to replace the HD
why would he need to replace the hard drive because some ones and zeros got switched around.

OP. First try to boot into safe mode. If that doesnt work, try the "boot with last known good settings option". Its rather amazing how often that works when you've got boot issues.

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
why would he need to replace the hard drive because some ones and zeros got switched around.

OP. First try to boot into safe mode. If that doesnt work, try the "boot with last known good settings option". Its rather amazing how often that works when you've got boot issues.

I tried both of those options before I made the thread, neither worked. It gets to the same point on the boot screen and then restarts. I never saw BSOD.

If I boot off the CD and do the repair option, will any of my files on the HD be affected?

M-Unit
Master-B and is gay lover Jumbypunk = OWNED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
I tried both of those options before I made the thread, neither worked. It gets to the same point on the boot screen and then restarts. I never saw BSOD.

If I boot off the CD and do the repair option, will any of my files on the HD be affected?

they'll all still be there. It just replaces windows files.

"All messages posted become the property of General Mayhem, LLC."

fieroloki

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Unit View Post
they'll all still be there. It just replaces windows files.

Correct. All the repair does is repair.

Forever Domon

Quote:

you very likely are getting a BSOD. The default windows setting is "restart on BSOD" and it does it so fast you dont even see the bsod sometimes

hawk82
[G]enerous [M]otherucker

If you think the harddrive may have some issues, then run the diagnostics that are provided for free from the various harddrive manufacturers.
Western digital data lifeguard diagnostics cd, download and burn to cd with another computer: http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...sid=30&lang=en
Seagate Seatools: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD
Samsung ES Tool: http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ort_in_es.html
etc etc

Run the diagnostics. If it says the harddrive is bad, you can try using the tool to "repair" the drive. However, I'd make sure your data is backed up first.

After repairing the drive, I'd then boot off of the XP install disc, then go into the recovery prompt, and run "chkdsk /r" which will further scan, "repair" files and sectors.

Then reboot into XP and see if she goes. If not, try doing a repair Windows XP install, which simply overwrites the Windows system files. All of your files and applications should remain intact. You may need to reinstall any Windows Updates after the repair is finished however.

BTW, your computer probably displays a BSOD on boot, but your computer is probably set to automatically reboot when a BSOD is encountered. this is annoying since those error messages may have a clue as to why Windows is failing to boot properly. You can turn this off one time during the boot process by hitting F8 and selecting "don't automatically restart" or something like that. If you get a BSOD, copy down the error message, which is something like 0x0000000XX or thereabouts. Include any text after it, like if it says "IRQL_LESS_THAN_ZERO" or something.
http://www.fuckingright.com/genmay/funnypics/
http://www.fuckingright.com/genmay/funnypics_2007-01-30.rar

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroloki View Post
Boot off the XP cd and do a repair. The first repair option. do the fixmbr and fixboot commands

I did this, and I'm back on it now. Everything seems to be working. I'll probably back-up the stuff on my main HD just to be safe, but so far so good. Thanks for the help. Not sure why this happened all the sudden after all this time, especially since all I was doing was browsing the web, but at least it was relatively easy to fix once you guys told me what to do.

fieroloki

When was the last time you formatted and reinstalled? Windows likes to just go tits up sometimes. And yes, please back up your data.

g|aSsJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroloki View Post
When was the last time you formatted and reinstalled? Windows likes to just go tits up sometimes. And yes, please back up your data.

It has been a while. Usually once or twice a year I'll wipe it clean and start fresh. I have back-up drives that I keep data on, so I might back everything up that's on my master and reformat later tonight.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post

Because in my experience, it's meant the hard drive was going.

topcat989

Quote:
I did this, and I'm back on it now. Everything seems to be working. I'll probably back-up the stuff on my main HD just to be safe, but so far so good. Thanks for the help. Not sure why this happened all the sudden after all this time, especially since all I was doing was browsing the web, but at least it was relatively easy to fix once you guys told me what to do.

Might need to pull off the HSF, clean, and apply fresh thermal compound. I've had systems start BSOD and memory/HD corruption, random reboots that were cured when this was done.