General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post

That's kinda how I feel about it. I shocked the shit out of myself once when I fucked up using a timing light. I can't imagine doing that intentionally.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SmashingPumpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
That's kinda how I feel about it. I shocked the shit out of myself once when I fucked up using a timing light. I can't imagine doing that intentionally.

thats why you stick a screwdriver in and ground it to something for a spark

if you don't have a screwdriver or wrench or whatever you should prolly wait for someone else to help

RazorWind

Update:

The problem appears to be the DME relay. When attempting to start the car, the fuel doesn't run. If I remove the DME relay, and insert a wire into the corresponding pins on the connector for it, the fuel pump runs. Apparently, not even a real porsche dealer stocks that part, so we had to order one from the internets.

d114

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Update:

The problem appears to be the DME relay. When attempting to start the car, the fuel doesn't run. If I remove the DME relay, and insert a wire into the corresponding pins on the connector for it, the fuel pump runs. Apparently, not even a real porsche dealer stocks that part, so we had to order one from the internets.

I have to ask - Is the car yours now?

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post
I have to ask - Is the car yours now?

No, but upon closer inspection, I'm kinda glad about that. It has an overly aggressive clutch that makes it very difficult to drive. The outside of it actually looks pretty good, but the interior looks kinda ratty, and because it has a slightly leaky targa top, it has a little bit of a funk.

The owner (my girlfriend's dad) offered to sell it to me once, but given that a clean one of these apparently goes for $15K - $20K, I decided that even if I could buy this one for $8K - $10K, it'd be a little rich for my blood. I think it's lived in Texas most of its life, though, so there's no rust. It'd make a good candidate for someone interested in a resto-mod.

Edit: It's a hoot to drive, though. I think it makes about 220 horsepower, which is about 80 more than my MR2 Spyder. The sound it makes is totally fucking awesome - an angry lawnmower to the Spyder's polite dishwasher. I didn't get to drive it terribly fast, but from what I could tell puttering around Dallas, its behavior is an awful lot like my old first generation MR2, but just a little more extreme.

Last edited by RazorWind; 08-19-2010 at 06:41 AM..