General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Seikan

Seeking advice on buying a used car

Seeking the advice of a seasoned Automay veteran on which route to take on buying a used car. Leaning towards a certified pre owned from a dealership or something. Max price is 3 grand. Preferably decent on MPG. It's for my girlfriend.

My MAIN desire is just something reliable like a civic or corolla. How can I be sure I'm getting something solid? Carfax? What are a few options for ~$3k? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for your input and ideas Automay

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Curmudgeon

Three grand is going to get you a high mile, as-is shitbox from a dealer. Better find a lot more money if you want a certified, pre-owned anything.

stapler
Fear my nazi SuparMod powers!

yeah.... um. at 3 grand you're much better off going private sale and having it checked before buying while understanding that a 3 grand anything is going to need a bit of work at time of purchase or shortly thereafter.....

EDIT: if you don't have the resources/ time/ knowledge to repair an old car or have it repaired and not get completely pwned by a shop think about using 3 grand as a downpayment for a small loan to get something nicer or find a lease. if you need reliable transport and barely have enough cash for expenses a 3k car will likely be a rough choice. downtime and repair costs add up. think about what you can afford and options available to you.

Briandl79

LOL @ 3K CPO

canker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Three grand is going to get you a high mile, as-is shitbox from a dealer. Better find a lot more money if you want a certified, pre-owned anything.

or buy a focus instead of a civic/toyota
irc.slashnet.org #cartalk

VoodoochildBC
cutie patootie <3 bonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canker View Post
or buy a focus instead of a civic/toyota
No way, for $3k a Focus is still going to have 130k+ miles on it from a dealer..

If you're going to spend 3k and want something reliable that's used, you'll need to do a private sale and go for something that was $10-15k when it was new.