General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

eem
pwned

Knowing what happens at death?

So imagine if you knew what happened at death, wouldn't that just answer so many questions about life? What you should do with life, how it should be lived, what you need to do before death. More than that, it would just end all debate concerning 'religious', 'spiritual' or 'secular' ponderings about 'afterlife' or what happens at death. In fact alot of the worlds major religious and philosophical views all rely upon base assumptions about the nature of the afterlife and are largely separated by their beliefs about the afterlife. If you actually knew what happened at death then the correct philosophical, spiritual or other viewpoints would become glaringly obvious to you.

But of course the typical thought concerning this is, it's not possible to know what happens at death.

Why do you think it's not possible?

Certainly 'knowing' what happens at death is impossible, because how could you 'know' as in 'come to learn and then know' what happens at death without actually dying for good? This is true. However one thing most people miss in relation to this is that, learning the truth about what happens at death has absolutely nothing to do with 'knowing' or 'learning', rather it has only to do with remembering.

The place you go to at death is the same place you came from before birth. All you have to do is remember where you came from and you will know where your going at death and what happens at death. Then through that, you will easily be able to discern what ethos are true.

Now if your somewhat daft you may be thinking "I came from my mom's vagina, and I am going to return to my mom's vagina?" No no, before the vagina. Remember farther back, keep going back, eventually you will recognize a space, or rather a state of being, the existence of which, is readily available and connected to both birth and death.

How do you remember something which you have so deeply forgotten? Well the same way you try to remember anything else you have forgotten. You know, you walk into the kitchen, you get there and forgot what you went in the kitchen for, and then you stand there with a blank mind waiting for the memory to come back to you. You do pretty much that exact same thing, except your trying to remember what happened much much farther back. So you are going to have to sit, with a blank mind, for a much longer time in order to allow that memory to resurface.

I personally feel that this is an incredibly important thing for all of you to do. I mean, if you don't know whats going to happen to you at death, how can you possibly have any accurate viewpoint about life?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

have you been able to remember all the way back?

wwilliam54

While I agree with your position, It seems that you have falsely come to the conclusion that this is some deep and important discovery.

edit: needs less weed I bet

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Your ghost makes crop circles(the real ones not the fake ones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
have you been able to remember all the way back?

his mind is certainly blank enough

Last edited by TheMorlock; 10-22-2010 at 05:50 AM..

loner

Re: Knowing what happens at death?

I grew up in a very religious home, and aside from your somewhat trippy analysis at the end, this is one of the lines of thinking that really made me question religion. I know there was time before I existed, but I don't remember experiencing it, which allowed me to conclude that a likely outcome after death is that time would continue on without me, and I would not experience that, either. There seems to be nothing that asserts that I will have an eternal spirit if I can't recall any of the time before I was born.
Pascal's wager keeps me in church, however.

TheMorlock

not very good odds

Runding

Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post

Haha, this needs quoting just from pure awesomeness. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eem View Post
So imagine if you knew what happened at death, wouldn't that just answer so many questions about life? What you should do with life, how it should be lived, what you need to do before death. More than that, it would just end all debate concerning 'religious', 'spiritual' or 'secular' ponderings about 'afterlife' or what happens at death. In fact alot of the worlds major religious and philosophical views all rely upon base assumptions about the nature of the afterlife and are largely separated by their beliefs about the afterlife. If you actually knew what happened at death then the correct philosophical, spiritual or other viewpoints would become glaringly obvious to you.

But of course the typical thought concerning this is, it's not possible to know what happens at death.

Certainly 'knowing' what happens at death is impossible, because how could you 'know' as in 'come to learn and then know' what happens at death without actually dying for good? This is true. However one thing most people miss in relation to this is that, learning the truth about what happens at death has absolutely nothing to do with 'knowing' or 'learning', rather it has only to do with remembering.

The place you go to at death is the same place you came from before birth. All you have to do is remember where you came from and you will know where your going at death and what happens at death. Then through that, you will easily be able to discern what ethos are true.

Now if your somewhat daft you may be thinking "I came from my mom's vagina, and I am going to return to my mom's vagina?" No no, before the vagina. Remember farther back, keep going back, eventually you will recognize a space, or rather a state of being, the existence of which, is readily available and connected to both birth and death.

How do you remember something which you have so deeply forgotten? Well the same way you try to remember anything else you have forgotten. You know, you walk into the kitchen, you get there and forgot what you went in the kitchen for, and then you stand there with a blank mind waiting for the memory to come back to you. You do pretty much that exact same thing, except your trying to remember what happened much much farther back. So you are going to have to sit, with a blank mind, for a much longer time in order to allow that memory to resurface.

I personally feel that this is an incredibly important thing for all of you to do. I mean, if you don't know whats going to happen to you at death, how can you possibly have any accurate viewpoint about life?

You're assuming what comes after death is the same as before life. You don't know that, and you can't remember it(unless the shrooms are really good that day). But you are right in that you can't have an accurate viewpoint about life until you come to an understanding of why you're personally living and where you're assuming you'll go.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
Haha, this needs quoting just from pure awesomeness. :-)

awesomely bad. Problem with pascals wager it assumes a set dichotomy. Christian vs Atheist.

since there have been a few million religions since man figured out that sticking your dick in a bitch led to whiny teens, I would assume that Active worship of the wrong god would be more likely to be problematic (thou shalt have no god before me) versus non worship because you do not have the info to pick the right one.

Runding

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
awesomely bad. Problem with pascals wager it assumes a set dichotomy. Christian vs Atheist.

since there have been a few million religions since man figured out that sticking your dick in a bitch led to whiny teens, I would assume that Active worship of the wrong god would be more likely to be problematic (thou shalt have no god before me) versus non worship because you do not have the info to pick the right one.

From an extremely logical, reasoning viewpoint you're right.

I just thought it was funny because either nothing happens after death and he's going to go where everyone else does -- or he'll be right, and go to heaven. Either way, he's safe.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
From an extremely logical, reasoning viewpoint you're right.

I just thought it was funny because either nothing happens after death and he's going to go where everyone else does -- or he'll be right, and go to heaven. Either way, he's safe.

Ummm no, from the most basic reasoning...

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
Ummm no, from the most basic reasoning...

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

Except Pascal's wager undermines the entire basis of Christianity.

Perhaps it is applicable to Islam (though I'm not educated enough to say for sure)

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
Except Pascal's wager undermines the entire basis of Christianity.

Perhaps it is applicable to Islam (though I'm not educated enough to say for sure)

Electrikfuzz050

Quote:

Pretty sure an omnipotent god would know the difference between believing and pretending to believe.

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eem View Post

this is retarded

drawing an analogy between a supernatural concept of an afterlife or "pre-life" to walking around your house is the realm of the mental midget. you're either not smart enough to come up with a better explanation or you're just like the fucking idiot preachers and evangelicals whose only method of explaining their sky monster is through goddamn childish fairy tales

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post

because if there is a god he's totally going to be cool with "i only believe in your just in case"