Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by red|dragon View Post
BECAUSE HE'S STILL IN THE STORE.

IT LOOKS LIKE HE IS STEALING.

HE HAD NO BAG ON HIS ITEM.

He could have at least gotten the cashier's attention so she could say something like "yeah, he's ok"

Imo, the guy is a dumb ass. All he had to do was show the receipt.

Yep

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mathlete
I'm the cheapest person on this planet, maybe the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
These people must have a pretty sad existence if they have to make a huge scene about "standing up for their rights" over completely trivial events on a routine basis. You're not getting strip searched, you're getting asked for a reciept. People steal an ungodly amount of stuff from stores like Walmart, taking 2 seconds to comply with the theft-prevention person is a trivial price to pay for helping reduce OTHER thefts and not making a huge fucking scene.

Yeah, you don't legally HAVE to play along, but there's really no reason to be a jackass about it.

I personally find it incredibly insulting to have my receipt checked. Most of the time if the alarm goes off when I walk out, I ignore it and keep walking. No one has ever stopped me. I'm really not sure what they would do anyway; I would sure as fuck not submit to a search by an employee.

As trivial as it may seem, I feel it is necessary for us to make it abundantly clear: corporations are private entities just like us. They do not have any more rights than we do. If they want to harass typical customers on a routine basis to stop a minority of shoplifters (those not already caught in the act on camera or by an employee), I'm sure there are other stores willing to take their place.

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
That's retarded. The store should be allowed to question anything you clearly have not brought in. The clothes you're wearing is a dumb example, since they can check the security cam to verify anyways, but if you're walking out with an item the store stocks than the employee is just doing their job. Otherwise, people would be walking out with all sorts of items that are small but carry no alarm tag and shoplifting would skyrocket.
After working for a very, very large retail store, I've noticed that if a customer is about to leave the store with an item we stock, that is actually his, he has no problem explaining to us that he owns it. The only people who do are assholes like the prick in the article, who just want to be jackasses.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedbuttmonkey View Post
Ah yes, the right to life, liberty, happiness, and choosing not to show your reciepts to walmart employees. My favorite right of all.

It was in the original draft of the constitution. The Freemasons edited it out.

True story.

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
You've "caught" someone stealing simply by checking receipts, sans video surveillance or anything? That's pretty amazing. What'd they do, admit guilt on the spot?

The only way I can see that happening is if the people have additional things in their bags that aren't on the receipt, but once again, you'd have to have video proof that they put those things in the bags in the first place. Lack of receipt will mean jack shit in court when the person is tried for shoplifting.
You are fucking naive. How about a guy with four $200 car speakers and a dated receipt from two weeks ago? "Oh yeah man, I uhhh forgot the right receipt." Like I said, fucking naive. Come talk to me when you've worked LP at Fry's before.
Quote:
You mean that they're there to make sure cashiers aren't dropping prices intentionally for friends.
This is what managers are for. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Soybomb

It sounds like walmart messed up to me. If your loss prevention team stops people without bags then no customer should leave the checkouts without a bag. Perhaps they need to develop a more effective technique for screening potential shoplifters instead of relying on something that dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
I personally find it incredibly insulting to have my receipt checked.
Blame it on shoplifters. If a private business wants to attempt to cut shrinkage, then good for them. There are negative externalities to shoplifting that affect all customers, since losses due to theft are passed onto you, either by increased prices or increased restocking fees.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
Precisely

You are in walmart, which has no right to detain you, search you, or take anything from you, without just cause.

Not showing them a piece of paper is not just cause.

THey have no right to do so, and even their executives bend when complaints about the issue are brought up [and the act of checking is usually abolished at the offending store], So I fail to see how it is an act of wrong.

Yes it is just cause. If you're walking out with a store stocked item and you don't have a way of proving you just bought it, then the store cannot just assume you did and let you keep going. That's grounds to be suspicious. He had two courses of action anyone who isn't a retard could have figured out. Action one was show your recipt, action two was get the cashier to vouch for you. He did neither and deserved to get detained, if not for anything but being a complete retard.

mathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
You are fucking naive. How about a guy with four $200 car speakers and a dated receipt from two weeks ago? "Oh yeah man, I uhhh forgot the right receipt." Like I said, fucking naive. Come talk to me when you've worked LP at Fry's before.

So not a single person saw him stuff FOUR FUCKING SPEAKERS in his coat and try to skip the lines and walk out? Sounds like the employees suck.

He was an idiot for bringing a receipt at all.

Quote:
Yes it is just cause. If you're walking out with a store stocked item and you don't have a way of proving you just bought it, then the store cannot just assume you did and let you keep going. That's grounds to be suspicious. He had two courses of action anyone who isn't a retard could have figured out. Action one was show your recipt, action two was get the cashier to vouch for you. He did neither and deserved to get detained, if not for anything but being a complete retard.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Everything you just said is completely false, legally.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
Guilty until proven innocent.

You must crap your pants everytime you shop at Costco I take it.

mathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
Blame it on shoplifters. If a private business wants to attempt to cut shrinkage, then good for them. There are negative externalities to shoplifting that affect all customers, since losses due to theft are passed onto you, either by increased prices or increased restocking fees.

Instead of having that fucking employee wasting everyone's time checking the receipts, maybe they could be walking around the store keeping an eye on things?

And fortunately, our rights can't be sacrificed in the name of lower prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Instead of having that fucking employee wasting everyone's time checking the receipts, maybe they could be walking around the store keeping an eye on things?

And fortunately, our rights can't be sacrificed in the name of lower prices.
You don't really understand the concept, do you? The loss prevention officer at the door is simply there to deter would-be thieves... not catch them. Most of the time the guy doesn't even check what's in the bag, he just waves his highlighter over the thing. He's going to discourage more thieves from stealing than he his while walking around the store.

And for the record, you're not supposed to be forced to show your receipt. This Wallmart case is a rare incident and they were out of line.

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

Quote:
Yes it is just cause. If you're walking out with a store stocked item and you don't have a way of proving you just bought it, then the store cannot just assume you did and let you keep going.
The law says they have to.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. Everything you just said is completely false, legally.

Ok let me clarify. I havn't looked up the legalities surrounding detaining someone under these circumstances. That last line was supposed to be a sarcastic joke, and I thought that was pretty clear but in retrospect maybe it wasn't. Anyway, what I'm saying here is that the employee was doing what he was hired to do. If the guy isn't producing any proof he bought a store stocked item, than that's reasonable grounds to suspect he's shoplifting and reasonable grounds to initiate countermeasures against that. These people that are complaining asking to check his recipt is harassment is more towards what I was addressing.