General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
So not a single person saw him stuff FOUR FUCKING SPEAKERS in his coat and try to skip the lines and walk out? Sounds like the employees suck.

He was an idiot for bringing a receipt at all.

Why did you assume a coat? He had a shopping cart, and a receipt. He walked in, grabbed four off the shelf, and tried to explain to me that he was "getting them installed in his car outside." Looked like normal behavior to employees, up until he showed me a dated receipt.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mathlete
I'm the cheapest person on this planet, maybe the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by :ninja: View Post
You don't really understand the concept, do you? The loss prevention officer at the door is simply there to deter would-be thieves... not catch them. Most of the time the guy doesn't even check what's in the bag, he just waves his highlighter over the thing. He's going to discourage more thieves from stealing than he his while walking around the store.

And for the record, you're not supposed to be forced to show your receipt. This Wallmart case is a rare incident and they were out of line.

Fair enough, I see your point. Since most shoplifters are morons, they will be scared away by that. Nonetheless, if I refuse, they should be fully aware they can't do a goddamn thing about it.

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Quote:
So not a single person saw him stuff FOUR FUCKING SPEAKERS in his coat and try to skip the lines and walk out? Sounds like the employees suck.
Have you ever stepped foot into a Fry's on a busy day?

Quote:
He was an idiot for bringing a receipt at all.
No shit, that's why he got caught.

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
That's retarded. The store should be allowed to question anything you clearly have not brought in. The clothes you're wearing is a dumb example, since they can check the security cam to verify anyways, but if you're walking out with an item the store stocks than the employee is just doing their job. Otherwise, people would be walking out with all sorts of items that are small but carry no alarm tag and shoplifting would skyrocket.

I'm not questioning the right for them to ask me for a receipt. They can ask me for one all they want. If they try to detain me solely on me saying no to a receipt check, though, then they've broken the law, as they've kidnapped me.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

Quote:
Fair enough, I see your point. Since most shoplifters are morons, they will be scared away by that. Nonetheless, if I refuse, they should be fully aware they can't do a goddamn thing about it.
The loss prevention officers are supposed to be trained with legal procedures and whatnot. Sounds like this Wallmart incident was due to some guy who was daydreaming about being a superhero.

edit: Sir Tex, which Fry's did you work at?

mathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
Why did you assume a coat? He had a shopping cart, and a receipt. He walked in, grabbed four off the shelf, and tried to explain to me that he was "getting them installed in his car outside." Looked like normal behavior to employees, up until he showed me a dated receipt.

Okay, no one saw him skirt the checkout lines then?

Well, I'm glad he was a total idiot then.

mathlete

Quote:
The loss prevention officers are supposed to be trained with legal procedures and whatnot. Sounds like this Wallmart incident was due to some guy who was daydreaming about being a superhero.

You're right. I'm just particularly aggravated by the people who don't fully appreciate why we have such rights, regardless of whether you may have to be an asshole or not if you choose to exercise them.

Soybomb

Quote:
Blame it on shoplifters. If a private business wants to attempt to cut shrinkage, then good for them. There are negative externalities to shoplifting that affect all customers, since losses due to theft are passed onto you, either by increased prices or increased restocking fees.
But eventually a business has to decide if shrinkage will be a larger loss than the customers you'd drive away with whatever counter measure you have in mind and the cost of implementing it. If its too costly to have enough eyes on the registers to ensure that no one is walking past it might be cheaper to eat whatever walks out through the doors without a bag that LP didn't observe being stolen than drive off customers with annoying practices like receipt check points where some old woman puts a highlighter mark on receipts. Or even worse yet risk a lawsuit when your employees confront a customer and another customer gets involved on your property.

I think it compares a little to DRM. I sure bought more dvd's back in the day before every disc started prohibiting me from hitting title to skip to the menu. Why does a copied disc provide a more friendly experience to me than the one I paid $20 for? I've just download cd's I would have paid for because I knew they had copy protection that would keep me from ripping them easily. I won't hassle with software or operating systems that require me to call for activation. Not taking any losses comes at a price.

Last edited by Soybomb; 03-04-2008 at 12:05 AM..

Quote:
Ok let me clarify. I havn't looked up the legalities surrounding detaining someone under these circumstances. That last line was supposed to be a sarcastic joke, and I thought that was pretty clear but in retrospect maybe it wasn't. Anyway, what I'm saying here is that the employee was doing what he was hired to do. If the guy isn't producing any proof he bought a store stocked item, than that's reasonable grounds to suspect he's shoplifting and reasonable grounds to initiate countermeasures against that. These people that are complaining asking to check his recipt is harassment is more towards what I was addressing.
I can't even say there's a fine line between what the store should do to prevent losses and what is morally right to do given the circumstances. It's more like a giant gray area.
Usually situations like these are taken care of in a peaceful manner because the loss prevention officer politely explains why the customer is suspected of theft, and the customer will politely comply because of course he's not stealing and he's got a receipt.
In this case, it sounded like both parties were being stubborn. Though if the store doesn't have proof of theft (caught in the act) then they legally can't touch the guy. Wallmart was at fault in this situation, and the customer probably was not cooperative because the employee was too direct, perhaps. Who knows.

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
You are fucking naive. How about a guy with four $200 car speakers and a dated receipt from two weeks ago? "Oh yeah man, I uhhh forgot the right receipt." Like I said, fucking naive. Come talk to me when you've worked LP at Fry's before.

And something like that absolutely could not be caught on camera?

Your scenario depends on thief stupidity, showing an old receipt, and someone not watching store cameras.

Despite this, would you of physically detained him if he refused to show a receipt?

Quote:
This is what managers are for. You have no idea what you're talking about.
We've caught people at my Target doing exactly what I said through receipt checks. Yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

sir tex

Quote:

edit: Sir Tex, which Fry's did you work at?

Webster one, in South Houston.

Quote:
Webster one, in South Houston.
I was computer sales at the San Diego store.

Fuck Fry's.

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

Quote:
If the guy isn't producing any proof he bought a store stocked item, than that's reasonable grounds to suspect he's shoplifting and reasonable grounds to initiate countermeasures against that.
You might be surprised to learn that this isn't true in Canada. In order to justify a detention, a crime must actually have been committed by someone (regardless of how suspicious it may seem to the shopkeeper) and there must be reasonable grounds for suspecting that the detained person committed it.

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
And something like that absolutely could not be caught on camera?

Your scenario depends on thief stupidity, showing an old receipt, and someone not watching store cameras.

Despite this, would you of physically detained him if he refused to show a receipt?
No, that's wasn't my job. I'd just call LP and he'll watch him drive off, get his plates, and they'll deal with it from there. Done that before. The Wal-Mart retard was way out of line doing what he did, but the incident shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Quote:
We've caught people at my Target doing exactly what I said through receipt checks. Yes, I do know what I'm talking about.
Target is not Fry's and has vastly different procedures. At Fry's a manager must OK employee discounts, and the employee must walk out with the customer. But thanks for playing!

sir tex

Quote:
I was computer sales at the San Diego store.

Fuck Fry's.

Yeah, I don't go there anymore either .