General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

wingedbuttmonkey

found a good argument on another forum:

Quote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the consitution’s privacy language protects Americans from “unreasonable” searches and seizures. Is being asked to show your receipt to prove you purchased items before you exit a retail store unreasonable?

I don’t think so at all.

This is why most libertarians aren’t taken all that seriously. We talk about limited government and individual freedoms and everything is well and good, then someone refuses to do something as simple as show a receipt and suddenly the lot of you start acting like people are being herded off into ghettos.

Get a grip. Being asked to show a receipt is not an unreasonable search, nor is it unreasonable for a retail store manager to call the police when someone refuses to show one and walks out of a store with merchandise.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

uhm ok i think im hallucinating today..

cromicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedbuttmonkey View Post
found a good argument on another forum:
That isn't a good argument at all. The constitution is supposed to govern your interactions with government, not your interactions with other individuals. In fact, it would be an infringement on the rights of the store if you were to prevent them from setting up a receipt checking policy.

wingedbuttmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
That isn't a good argument at all. The constitution is supposed to govern your interactions with government, not your interactions with other individuals. In fact, it would be an infringement on the rights of the store if you were to prevent them from setting up a receipt checking policy.

If this is the case then the argument the other way around that the constitution protects them from the store is also a bad argument.

cromicus

Quote:
If this is the case then the argument the other way around that the constitution protects them from the store is also a bad argument.
And it is. You protection from the store arises from private law and criminal law, not constitutional law. However, the government should not be able to make laws that prevent making receipt checking a condition of customers' access to the store.

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

meh i did this for 3.5 years at best buy, if someone refused to show you their receipt, well that was that. corporate made a big deal about not detaining anyone unless you were 100% sure they'd stolen something AND could prove it. anyone who didn't follow that was promptly fired. most people comply without incident. in the 3.5 years i did it i can only remember about 2 people refusing to show a receipt.

wingedbuttmonkey

Quote:
And it is. You protection from the store arises from private law and criminal law, not constitutional law. However, the government should not be able to make laws that prevent making receipt checking a condition of customers' access to the store.

so if I read that correctly, you say that a store can make it a condition and that the customer has to abide by it?

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Do you guys who are getting all offended at getting asked for your receipt get pissed when you're asked for ID when you buy alcohol? OMG they're accusing you of trying to buy booze underage!

Terribly different situation. But, again, I don't get offended when people ask for my receipt, I get offended when they don't take no for an answer.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcric View Post
meh i did this for 3.5 years at best buy, if someone refused to show you their receipt, well that was that. corporate made a big deal about not detaining anyone unless you were 100% sure they'd stolen something AND could prove it. anyone who didn't follow that was promptly fired. most people comply without incident. in the 3.5 years i did it i can only remember about 2 people refusing to show a receipt.

Exactly, which is what I've been saying this entire thread. Some people think you should of had the right to detain those two people just by them not showing their receipt, though, which is hilarious.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

wingedbuttmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
Exactly, which is what I've been saying this entire thread. Some people think you should of had the right to detain those two people just by them not showing their receipt, though, which is hilarious.

I wish I had the right to kill them so the world wouldn't have to deal with their superiority complexes.

cromicus

Quote:
so if I read that correctly, you say that a store can make it a condition and that the customer has to abide by it?
If they enter the store knowing about the condition, yes. It's the same as any contract.

deltabourne
Mike27 is my bestest friend in the whole wide world.

Quote:
If they enter the store knowing about the condition, yes. It's the same as any contract.
No it isn't. Although the store can (and should be able to) ban you from their store for not showing a receipt, they can't DETAIN you for not showing one. Maybe that's what you mean. Hence why I'd show a receipt at Costco (so I don't get my membership revoked) but not at Best Buy.

Quote:
I wish I had the right to kill them so the world wouldn't have to deal with their superiority complexes.
Read this sentence again and tell me who the one with the superiority complex is.

Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer came down upon her head
Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer made sure that she was dead

Last edited by deltabourne; 03-04-2008 at 08:00 PM..

FM 2347
I am offended by the world isajeep.

Someone probably has posted this already but I was in Fry's once and some old man got upset and in a fit because he didn't think it was right to show is receipt. I guess I can let those people fight the system for me. I could use that 20 minutes I would have used to fight them to fap for 20 minutes when I get home or get something else done.

deltabourne
Mike27 is my bestest friend in the whole wide world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2347 View Post
Someone probably has posted this already but I was in Fry's once and some old man got upset and in a fit because he didn't think it was right to show is receipt. I guess I can let those people fight the system for me. I could use that 20 minutes I would have used to fight them to fap for 20 minutes when I get home or get something else done.

Except he didn't have to stop at all and thus expend 0 minutes.

Personally I love breezing by the line of res waiting patiently in line when the store's busy to get their receipt checked. They all look on in horror as I just walk out the store untouched.

Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer came down upon her head
Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer made sure that she was dead

Arakith

So, what’s the actual law regarding this? Or is there one? Can the store legally detain you if they have "reasonable suspicion" such as not showing a receipt? Or can you tell them to fuck off and keep walking?