General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lewism1987
High 5, down low, 2 slow!

this thread is full of fucking stupidity, god damned americans.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

wingedbuttmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabourne View Post
I think I'm going to start walking up to random people on the street and asking them to prove they bought all the purchases they have on them. Surely none of you fine upstanding citizens would object - if you have nothing to hide, just show it to me. If you don't show it to me I'll call the police because you've obviously stolen something. Think of how many thieves I'll catch! Right?

thats the biggest fucking strawman argument ive ever seen posted.

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

Quote:
I think I'm going to start walking up to random people on the street and asking them to prove they bought all the purchases they have on them. Surely none of you fine upstanding citizens would object - if you have nothing to hide, just show it to me. If you don't show it to me I'll call the police because you've obviously stolen something. Think of how many thieves I'll catch! Right?
It has nothing to do with being upstanding, having nothing to hide, not being a thief. It has everything to do with agreeing to produce a receipt, and then not doing so.

deltabourne
Mike27 is my bestest friend in the whole wide world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedbuttmonkey View Post
thats the biggest fucking strawman argument ive ever seen posted.

Not really. I view the situations as being the same. Why does Best Buy have any more right to see a receipt for my stuff than you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
It has nothing to do with being upstanding, having nothing to hide, not being a thief. It has everything to do with agreeing to produce a receipt, and then not doing so.

No. You implicitly agree that if you don't follow their policies they can ban you from the store. But they can't force you to show a receipt, which is the issue at hand. Even at Costco, where you sign a contract stating you'll show a receipt, they can't detain you for not producing a receipt. They can revoke your membership though. That's a risk you take if you choose not to show the receipt.

Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer came down upon her head
Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer made sure that she was dead

wingedbuttmonkey

Quote:
Not really. I view the situations as being the same. Why does Best Buy have any more right to see a receipt for my stuff than you do?

Because you are on their property. That gives them more of a case than I would have.

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
Because you are on their property. That gives them more of a case than I would have.

So I have the right to detain someone on my property if they can't prove that something is theirs?

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

cromicus

Quote:
No. You implicitly agree that if you don't follow their policies they can ban you from the store.
They can ban you from the store no matter what, you don't have to agree to anything for that. But you really need to bifurcate this problem: having an obligation (by operation of law, by contract, etc.), and the remedies available in the event of a failure to oblige. You seem to obsess over what they can do to enforce the right, which is obscuring whether or not the right actually exists.

Quote:
That's not enough.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:

yes because you carry with you, an eerie similarity much like a store worker does when he's trying to you know, do his fucking job

cromicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
yes because you carry with you, an eerie similarity much like a store worker does when he's trying to you know, do his fucking job
That's not enough either. Just because it's your job to do something illegal does not make the thing legal.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
That's not enough either. Just because it's your job to do something illegal does not make the thing legal.

I know you better than this, so I'd rather not explain an issue that is very common sense to someone who's very disconnected from reality.

But of course, in the libertarian world, a random guy asking for a receipt in the middle of the street with no affiliation whatsoever to the person being asked the receipt, is entirely same than a store worker wanting to find out has an item their store carries been purchased. Bravo

Lewism1987
High 5, down low, 2 slow!

the only thing i hate about the pit, you guys take the most dull and fucking boring stories that happen thousands of times across the world every day and about 50 posts in talk about the constitution.

fuck.

Straw Man
RuHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewism1987 View Post
the only thing i hate about the pit, you guys take the most dull and fucking boring stories that happen thousands of times across the world every day and about 50 posts in talk about the constitution.

fuck.

don't hate the game, hate the players

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by UID=30151 View Post
Because the government has something to do with retail stores checking receipts right?

If it doesn't have enough to do with it that you notice it now, trust me it can very soon. Flown a plane since 9/11? Walked by the military guards with M-16s? Just imagine those troops checking your receipt. Oh yes, it will happen. All it takes is some nutcase going on TV and making up a link between ordinary goods bought at an electronic store and building a bomb.

isugoat

Quote:
don't hate the game, hate the retards

fixt for pit

cromicus

Quote:
But of course, in the libertarian world, a random guy asking for a receipt in the middle of the street with no affiliation whatsoever to the person being asked the receipt, is entirely same than a store worker wanting to find out has an item their store carries been purchased. Bravo
Nobody said it's the same thing, it's just that nothing turns on the fact that "the guy's just doing his job"