General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red|dragon View Post
So Greg. If you owned a small gay porn shop and you saw some guy walking out of the store with one of your gay porn magazines, then asked him to see his receipt and he said "No."

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

This assuming my gay porn shop is small, had one register, one employee, and no security guard, if he said no, I'd let him walk off, knowing my cameras got his face and his license plate number, and report him to the police. I could restrain him once he walked out the door, since he was on camera the entire time and was never observed stealing, and thus could prove in court that he did steal from my shop, but then I'd leave my gay porn shop open to more thieves.

What's your point?
__________________
Moose's brother.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET
Old 03-03-2008, 07:35 PM Mr. Greg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#31  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedbuttmonkey View Post
He then proceeded to not show the receipt which further eluded that he had not purchased the item.



A judge/jury's going to convict someone of shoplifting just because he didn't show a receipt?
__________________
Moose's brother.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 PM Mr. Greg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#32  

red|dragon
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
Proposition.


I'm running down the sidewalk away from a store, with an object in my hand.


Running from the store + object = guilty?

Sorry, but if I saw someone running out of a store with an object such as something they sell in the store, I'm going to be thinking "Hmm... looks like he is stealing", not "I guess he's in a hurry".
Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 PM red|dragon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#33  

Komataguri
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red|dragon View Post
Sorry, but if I saw someone running out of a store with an object such as something they sell in the store, I'm going to be thinking "Hmm... looks like he is stealing", not "I guess he's in a hurry".

Guilty until proven innocent.


I love how the extreme minority makes the vast majority live in such torrid fear of wrongdoing.


edit

the above is not a comment about the subject a hand, but an observation about how easily skewed human logic and thinking is.
__________________
hey guys I have a sig, look!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 PM Komataguri is offline  
Reply With Quote
#34  

red|dragon
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
This assuming my gay porn shop is small, had one register, one employee, and no security guard, if he said no, I'd let him walk off, knowing my cameras got his face and his license plate number, and report him to the police. I could restrain him once he walked out the door, since he was on camera the entire time and was never observed stealing, and thus could prove in court that he did steal from my shop, but then I'd leave my gay porn shop open to more thieves.

What's your point?

No lets assume your gay porn shop is huge, has multiple registers open with tons of people in the store. Your saying that if you saw some guy walking towards the door with something in his hand, not in a bag, not carrying a receipt and then refused to show receipt when you asked him, you would just let him walk, shrug your shoulders and carry on?

Or how about this. You have an employee who works at your store. You are the owner, but you are not there. The employee sees some guy walking out of the store with something, no bag, no receipt and when asked to show a receipt says no and keeps walking. You want that employee to just say ok bye and go on about his business???

And you know big businesses like Walmart have lots of theft. You wouldn't want your employees to be proactive about stopping potential theft?

You're either stupid, or nuts. That's the point. Rot in hell.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 PM red|dragon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#35  

red|dragon
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
Guilty until proven innocent.


I love how the extreme minority makes the vast majority live in such torrid fear of wrongdoing.


edit

the above is not a comment about the subject a hand, but an observation about how easily skewed human logic and thinking is.

If you saw some guy running out of a store with an item in his hand and no bag and no receipt, you would NOT even the slightest think that he could possibly be stealing? C'mon. Big Retail store, not convenient store.

edit: I don't think I've ever seen someone leaving walmart without any walmart bags now that I think about it.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 PM red|dragon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#36  

wingedbuttmonkey
 
wingedbuttmonkey's Avatar
 
ok look I get it, he had the "right" to not show the receipt. I don't care. The fact that he did it just to be a dick about it is fucking despicable. The employees job is to check receipts to try and prevent shoplifting. If you could stop for 3 fucking seconds to show a receipt instead of being a massive douche about it there will never ever ever be any problems.

This is just like those pricks who will sue you for anything just because they can. Where has common courtesy gone?

Also, if there was a sign at the entrance of the store indicating a receipt must be shown then security CAN detain the customer.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 PM wingedbuttmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#37  

Komataguri
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red|dragon View Post
If you saw some guy running out of a store with an item in his hand and no bag and no receipt, you would NOT even the slightest think that he could possibly be stealing? C'mon. Big Retail store, not convenient store.

edit: I don't think I've ever seen someone leaving walmart without any walmart bags now that I think about it.

I do it all the time.

Why waste time and dealing with a bag when I'm walking out with a pack of lightbulbs or some menial thing thats pointless to waste a bag over?
__________________
hey guys I have a sig, look!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:58 PM Komataguri is offline  
Reply With Quote
#38  

red|dragon
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
I do it all the time.

Why waste time and dealing with a bag when I'm walking out with a pack of lightbulbs or some menial thing thats pointless to waste a bag over?

Where, at Walmart?

You should be more concerned with the GAS you are waisting and POLLUTION from your car from driving to the store just to get a pack of light bulbs, if you are concerned about a little plastic bag.

You know you can reuse plastic bags right? Packaging insulation, trashcan liner for bathroom, put raw meat byproducts and trash in and using it to carry something else in the future.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:02 PM red|dragon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#39  

Komataguri
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red|dragon View Post
Where, at Walmart?

You should be more concerned with the GAS you are waisting and POLLUTION from your car from driving to the store just to get a pack of light bulbs, if you are concerned about a little plastic bag.

You know you can reuse plastic bags right? Packaging insulation, trashcan liner for bathroom, put raw meat byproducts and trash in and using it to carry something else in the future.

Wal-mart, grocery store, mall, etc.


btw, nice strawman argument.
__________________
hey guys I have a sig, look!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:04 PM Komataguri is offline  
Reply With Quote
#40  

wingedbuttmonkey
 
wingedbuttmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
Proposition.


I'm running down the sidewalk away from a store, with an object in my hand.


Running from the store + object = guilty?

nice straw man argument
Old 03-03-2008, 08:06 PM wingedbuttmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#41  

red|dragon
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
Wal-mart, grocery store, mall, etc.


btw, nice strawman argument.

So everywhere you go, you say "Oh no. I don't need a bag." Then proceed to run out of a store with items in your hand? And nobody looks at you funny because your running out of a store with items not in bags?

I have no idea what the "strawman argument" comment means...?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 PM red|dragon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#42  

wingedbuttmonkey
 
wingedbuttmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red|dragon View Post
So everywhere you go, you say "Oh no. I don't need a bag." Then proceed to run out of a store with items in your hand? And nobody looks at you funny because your running out of a store with items not in bags?

I have no idea what the "strawman argument" comment means...?

A straw man argument can be set up in several ways, including:

1. Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent's position and then refuting it, thus giving the appearance that the opponent's actual position has been refuted.[1]
2. Quoting an opponent's words out of context -- i.e., choosing quotations that are not representative of the opponent's actual intentions (see contextomy and quote mining).[2]
3. Presenting someone who defends a position poorly as the defender and then refuting that person's arguments, thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position, and thus the position itself, has been defeated.[1]
4. Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs that are criticized, such that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
5. Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking the simplified version.


Your argument was more of a recomendation/option than a strawman argument.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 PM wingedbuttmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#43  

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy
 
cromicus's Avatar
 
They have every right to make receipt-checking a condition of being in their store. You don't, of course, agree to something that you have no advance notice of, so putting a big sign outside the store saying something along the lines of "by entering this store you agree to be searched and present your receipt on demand" would be good enough. Then, if you don't like that policy, you can avoid the store. If you didn't agree to something like that, you should have every right to ignore them and defend yourself, if necessary.

At what point can they start hitting you? If you've stolen something from them then they should be allowed to use force to recover it, but they'd better be right about it first. It's generally good store policy to let the guy go unless you've caught him red-handed, otherwise you'll end up paying far more in personal injury than you are in inventory shrink.
__________________
you shall see hail fall from a clear sky
Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 PM cromicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#44  

red|dragon
 
Last post, I gotta go study.

Point is: Everyone has this "I do what I want, I'm an American, I have rights, I'll sue you" attitude where people completely disregard respect and courtesy towards others. It's really sad. With all the other issues going on in the world, we hear about some Walmart employee who tackles some guy because he is leaving the store without a bag and refusing to show a receipt. Wow.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 PM red|dragon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#45  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.