General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy
 
cromicus's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red|dragon View Post
Last post, I gotta go study.

Point is: Everyone has this "I do what I want, I'm an American, I have rights, I'll sue you" attitude where people completely disregard respect and courtesy towards others. It's really sad. With all the other issues going on in the world, we hear about some Walmart employee who tackles some guy because he is leaving the store without a bag and refusing to show a receipt. Wow.
Attending to those kinds of problems (i.e. ensuring privacy and bodily integrity) is why America is so much better than the rest of the world.
__________________
you shall see hail fall from a clear sky
Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 PM cromicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#46  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius
 
These people must have a pretty sad existence if they have to make a huge scene about "standing up for their rights" over completely trivial events on a routine basis. You're not getting strip searched, you're getting asked for a reciept. People steal an ungodly amount of stuff from stores like Walmart, taking 2 seconds to comply with the theft-prevention person is a trivial price to pay for helping reduce OTHER thefts and not making a huge fucking scene.

Yeah, you don't legally HAVE to play along, but there's really no reason to be a jackass about it.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#47  

Jason
 
Oddly enough I know that here Fry's cannot even require that you show them a receipt. I of course do anyway just because I like the pink highlighter marks on all my receipts in case of return and less hassle, but I could just walk out. I often tell the receipt checker that I will only show them because I feel like being nice, but I could walk out if I wanted. Spread knowledge.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 PM Jason is offline  
Reply With Quote
#48  

Komataguri
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
These people must have a pretty sad existence if they have to make a huge scene about "standing up for their rights" over completely trivial events on a routine basis. You're not getting strip searched, you're getting asked for a reciept. People steal an ungodly amount of stuff from stores like Walmart, taking 2 seconds to comply with the theft-prevention person is a trivial price to pay for helping reduce OTHER thefts and not making a huge fucking scene.

Yeah, you don't legally HAVE to play along, but there's really no reason to be a jackass about it.

I find it sad, as an American, that we no longer care about our rights, no matter how Trivial they are.


How we just throw them away simply because we don't want to question the authority that wants to take it, How we willingly give away that what makes the US what it is due to the complacency of man and the sake of " not dealing with it "



Small things add up, into bigger and much more dangerous things. Such as the patriot act, warrantless wiretapping, etc. before anyone attempts to strawman me, no receipt checks do not equal government. But the complacency they bring certainly do.
__________________
hey guys I have a sig, look!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:52 PM Komataguri is offline  
Reply With Quote
#49  

sir tex
 
sir tex's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Oddly enough I know that here Fry's cannot even require that you show them a receipt. I of course do anyway just because I like the pink highlighter marks on all my receipts in case of return and less hassle, but I could just walk out. I often tell the receipt checker that I will only show them because I feel like being nice, but I could walk out if I wanted. Spread knowledge.

you are so cool
Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 PM sir tex is offline  
Reply With Quote
#50  

Jason
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
you are so cool

Indeed I am. You should have seen me playing Rock Band in-store today.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 PM Jason is offline  
Reply With Quote
#51  

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.
 
:ninja:'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
Guilty until proven innocent.


I love how the extreme minority makes the vast majority live in such torrid fear of wrongdoing.


edit

the above is not a comment about the subject a hand, but an observation about how easily skewed human logic and thinking is.
Dear lord you're a fucking moron. Innocent until proven guilty is about the outcome of the trial. You are at the trial because you are suspected of committing a crime. Someone running away from a store with an unbagged product in his hand would appear suspicious. It doesn't mean he's guilty. It doesn't mean you can detain him. But for christ's sake asking to see a receipt is well within the bounds of acceptable behavior.

edit

__________________
Use Linux and BSD
Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 PM :ninja: is offline  
Reply With Quote
#52  

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy
 
cromicus's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
These people must have a pretty sad existence if they have to make a huge scene about "standing up for their rights" over completely trivial events on a routine basis.
If it was so trivial why was he beat up over it?
__________________
you shall see hail fall from a clear sky
Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM cromicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#53  

Jason
 
A previous incident involving showing receipts and reference to legal opinions...
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...100.xml&coll=2
and the guy blogged quite a bit about it.
http://www.michaelrighi.com/2007/09/...-circuit-city/
Old 03-03-2008, 09:44 PM Jason is offline  
Reply With Quote
#54  

Ralph
 
Even though I agree you shouldn't be REQUIRED to show receipts I think you're just a jackass if you don't...

Do you want to pay higher prices thanks to shoplifting s? Is it that hard to have the cashier give you the receipt and hold it in your hand for 5 seconds as you walk to the door?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:47 PM Ralph is offline  
Reply With Quote
#55  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
If it was so trivial why was he beat up over it?

Showing your receipt is trivial. He turned a trivial event (showing the receipt) into a non-trivial one by insisting on his rights to the letter. These theft prevention people have no way to know that he didn't just walk with the mercandise. Sure the employee reacted incorrectly, but he basically created the situation himself.

Or more correctly, legions of actual thieves created the situation and he wasn't willing to accept an extremely minor inconvience caused by other people being slime.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#56  

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy
 
cromicus's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Even though I agree you shouldn't be REQUIRED to show receipts I think you're just a jackass if you don't...

Do you want to pay higher prices thanks to shoplifting s? Is it that hard to have the cashier give you the receipt and hold it in your hand for 5 seconds as you walk to the door?
If you give a mouse a cookie...
__________________
you shall see hail fall from a clear sky
Old 03-03-2008, 09:56 PM cromicus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#57  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
I find it sad, as an American, that we no longer care about our rights, no matter how Trivial they are.


How we just throw them away simply because we don't want to question the authority that wants to take it, How we willingly give away that what makes the US what it is due to the complacency of man and the sake of " not dealing with it "



Small things add up, into bigger and much more dangerous things. Such as the patriot act, warrantless wiretapping, etc. before anyone attempts to strawman me, no receipt checks do not equal government. But the complacency they bring certainly do.

Slippery slope!

What rights are being eroded by mild theft prevention efforts at stores? Your right to not spend two seconds having some Walmart employee scribble on your reciept?

The legal opinion on this seems to be: The store cannot search you without permission. But they can detain you (without using force, apparently) if they think you are shoplifting. Refusing to show a receipt is acceptable as reasonable suspicion for this.

So you're perfectly free to be a jackass and stand up for your right. But you have no room to bitch if they detain you for a while until the police show up and search you. If your rights mean that much to you, hey, knock yourself out. Enjoy making lots of scenes and becoming close personal friends with the local police.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#58  

Xayd
 
what the hell, this is not what I intended to do...sorry Xayd

Last edited by PopeKevinI; 03-03-2008 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: umm...oops
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 PM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#59  

sir tex
 
sir tex's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
A previous incident involving showing receipts and reference to legal opinions...
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...100.xml&coll=2
and the guy blogged quite a bit about it.
http://www.michaelrighi.com/2007/09/...-circuit-city/

what a dick
Old 03-03-2008, 10:06 PM sir tex is offline  
Reply With Quote
#60  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.