General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

jaXonbrown
I'M THE FUCKING FAGGOT THAT CREATED THE "Post kool gifs" THREAD. THIS IS MY FUCKING TITLE.

When assisted suicide becomes the norm in the US

do you think old people will be pressured to "do the right thing" and off themselves so they don't become financial burdens to their families? would assisted suicide become the noble thing to do?

it would be a terrible thing to be old and sick and have your family make subtle hints about finances.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

PopeKevinI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaXonbrown
do you think old people will be pressured to "do the right thing" and off themselves so they don't become financial burdens to their families? would assisted suicide become the noble thing to do?

it would be a terrible thing to be old and sick and have your family make subtle hints about finances.

Eventually we'll be required by law to off ourselves at 60 years of age. One day a brilliant scientist on the verge of saving the world will turn 60 and face a major dilemna: suicide, or salvation of the species.

/obscure Trek reference

Nuntius

When have old people ever not been a financial burden? I don't see this becoming a huge problem, really.

arthur pendragon
TweedleDumbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuntius
When have old people ever not been a financial burden? I don't see this becoming a huge problem, really.
When have snot nosed angst ridden pimple faced teenagers and children ever not been a financial burden. You are sounding a lot like Hitler, lets just kill everyone who doesn’t carry their own weight, only the profitable will survive, and then eventually only those of a certain degree of profitability will be allowed to survive. Sucks to be you under those conditions.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH

At least I wont have to listen to old people jokes anymore. I see all these kids wearing Old Navy t-shirts and I want to know where the new navy is hahaha! JESUS CHRIST MY HEART

gumplunger
How many gums could a gum plunge plunge if a gumplunge could plunge gums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison
At least I wont have to listen to old people jokes anymore. I see all these kids wearing Old Navy t-shirts and I want to know where the new navy is hahaha! JESUS CHRIST MY HEART

Nuntius

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur pendragon
When have snot nosed angst ridden pimple faced teenagers and children ever not been a financial burden. You are sounding a lot like Hitler, lets just kill everyone who doesn’t carry their own weight, only the profitable will survive, and then eventually only those of a certain degree of profitability will be allowed to survive. Sucks to be you under those conditions.

No, I agree with you - the very old and the very young have always, and will always be in large part a financial burden. I'm not saying we should kill them, I'm saying that they aren't going to become a big issue, so why bother worrying about assisted suicide?

lonedawg
Stiler

They wouldn't be a burden if our damn government would get shit in order and let things work out for retirment well enough and get things straightend out.

Also i remember reading somewhere the the US was one of the only countries that has Retirment homes that the kids can place their parents in.

In some countries the parents can sue the kids for not taking care of them.

sybil

my parents expect to live with me when I get a house

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybil

That's what nursing homes are for.

Quinine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler
They wouldn't be a burden if our damn government would get shit in order and let things work out for retirment well enough and get things straightend out.
The only way that anything will be straightened out is if the government gets the hell out of the retirement business.

Cjwinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybil

Think of it as payback for looking after you for your first years on Planet Earth..

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:

Throughout human existance until the last 80 years.

Nuntius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock
Throughout human existance until the last 80 years.

Okay, maybe I'll modify my statement from the rather broad category of all human existance.

I'd say old people became less valuable to society once that whole "literacy" thing happened, around the Renaissance.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Okay, maybe I'll modify my statement from the rather broad category of all human existance.

I'd say old people became less valuable to society once that whole "literacy" thing happened, around the Renaissance.

That would be the begining of the end. But not the end. Until the patent system came into effect the old people were a treasure.
Digitalis was discovered and lost 3 times in history because some old fart took the secret to his grave. Or his student was too busy smoking something to remember.
The renaissance was nice but only affected the elite for a significant time.