General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

brent4president

@LLC: usually in these situations pirates do NOT need an internet connection to play, so paying customers get a crappier version that depends on authentication servers that may or may not be online

edit: i might have accidentally given the impression that i care about the interent connection; i do not, i have one and it's up 24/7

eat sand and play with fire!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

LLC
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent4president View Post
@LLC: usually in these situations pirates do NOT need an internet connection to play, so paying customers get a crappier version that depends on authentication servers that may or may not be online

i honestly can't remember the last time i was not able to play a game online because of their servers being down

Crying over spilled milk is what this is. Servers are down a fraction of 1 percent of the time.

Ask sct about cracking MMOs to play on private servers. So stiler is a hypocrit since he'll buy an mmo but not this game.

Stiler just likes to bitch. There's a problem in PC gaming where they cry about things that aren't a problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with requiring an internet connection in todays market. In fact the most popular pc games (WOW) do it.

brent4president

in the defense of the crybabies (i kid), all attempts to stop pirates, fail, at the expense of the paying customer. this is *probably* just another example of that. there is a lot of assuming since there is such little info about C&C4

i wouldnt complain if these steps actually prevented any piracy, but they never do.

edit: they might in this case though, if they put a serious chunk of code on the server

lonedawg
Stiler

How the fuck am I a hypocrit?

An MMO is an ONLINE ONLY game, you play the game online. The entire game itself uses the itnernet, you can't have an mmo and not use the internet.

Having a game which one of the main parts is the SINGLE player and then requiring people to use the internet just to play it is simply not something I want to support.

Do you not understand that? How on earth is it hypocritical of me not to want to support DRM such as this sort of thing? It's the same reason I don't buy games with activiation limits or any such thing.

I have no problem with things like a cd key you put in to install the game with no strings attached or something like that.

Howver once I buy a game, it should be fully playable for me without them telling me when and where I can play it.

brent4president

@Stiler: how do you feel about HL2's one-time activation that also requires an internet connection? I'm OK with that, just wondering how other people feel

LLC
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post
How the fuck am I a hypocrit?

An MMO is an ONLINE ONLY game, you play the game online. The entire game itself uses the itnernet, you can't have an mmo and not use the internet.

Having a game which one of the main parts is the SINGLE player and then requiring people to use the internet just to play it is simply not something I want to support.

Do you not understand that? How on earth is it hypocritical of me not to want to support DRM such as this sort of thing? It's the same reason I don't buy games with activiation limits or any such thing.

I have no problem with things like a cd key you put in to install the game with no strings attached or something like that.

Howver once I buy a game, it should be fully playable for me without them telling me when and where I can play it.

You have an xbox don't you? Boot up a single player game. You realize Microsoft scans your system for mods right? Why do you think dazz unplugs his ethernet cable before he boots up his xbox to play rock band or something?

You support the xbox and its single player games...so why won't you for PC?

They aren't telling you when and where to play it. I doubt you'll ever run into their server being down. If you do I'm sure it'll be one time max.

It doesn't matter if the game is online only or single player. They are both games you own and should be able to play. You shouldn't give a multi only game a pass when their servers are down. They are making this game require an internet connection. It should be treated the same way as those games.

You have tf2 or css and Steam goes down quite often. I'm not sure why you give those games a pass and a single player game that requires a server is bad. What's the difference? They're both games you paid for.

LLC
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent4president View Post
@Stiler: how do you feel about HL2's one-time activation that also requires an internet connection? I'm OK with that, just wondering how other people feel

they only like bitching about microsoft and ea on these forums

valve is untouchable, you know the company that took free mods from 10 years ago and is charging money for all of them.

LLC
pwned

Quote:
I'm assuming you don't buy electricity or water or cable tv. All of these things aren't in your control and go down occasionally. I take it your a man of your word so I'm assuming you're posting from a library considering you would never give the electric company a dime if you can't control when and where you get your electricity.

I know you pay after you get the service for utilities but when the shit goes down you must be one of those customers who calls in angry and demand you get it restored as soon as possible. Calm the fuck down, it's not a big deal. The electricity being down for an hour or two isn't going to kill you and the servers for c&c4 down for an hour isn't going to kill you. Take a chill pill. If WoW addicts can take tuesday maintanence you can make it through an hour without c&c4.

brent4president

ok, no need to troll

lonedawg
Stiler

I support the xbox because it lets you play your single player games and things just fine without an internet connection. I don't mod it or anything so I don't care about that sort of thing.

My point is this, You buy a product, be it a game, book, movie, etc. It should be yours to watch/read/play when YOU wish to without the game putting up red tape and forcing you to have a net connection (not talking about mmo's where the entire game itself is built on being online).

I support steam because you buy a game, you play it and even if you lose your net connection you can play it. I had my cable modem go out for two days and couldn't replace it until a monday (happened on friday) so I was without the net for the weekend but I coudl still boot up steam and play any of the games I had on it just fine.

Games are a product, not a "service," Cable, electricity, those are services, not products. You don't "own" the cable or such things and acts of nature do happen. Tethering onilne to a game with a single player focus and forcing players to use it takes away the control and limits the player (even if they normally have a net connection at home).

My point is simply, I feel that when you buy a game that features single player gameplay that you should be able to play it without requiring a net connection. It's that simple.

One of the main reasons I don't like this is easily explained here in IGN's recent review of Rise of Flight,w hich features this exact requirment for their game, where it constantly checks if you're connected to their servers and updates your progress and other things:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002055p2.html
Quote:
Finally, the game requires online authentication the entire time it's being played, even if you're just playing a solo career or a one-off single player mission. Given that the game comes with a CD-key, it seems odd that you'd have to be logged on in order to play, but that's the case. We might not mind this so much if the registration servers were more reliable and if connection issues didn't cause us to fail missions in single player.

LLC
pwned

Quote:
I support the xbox because it lets you play your single player games and things just fine without an internet connection. I don't mod it or anything so I don't care about that sort of thing.

My point is this, You buy a product, be it a game, book, movie, etc. It should be yours to watch/read/play when YOU wish to without the game putting up red tape and forcing you to have a net connection (not talking about mmo's where the entire game itself is built on being online).

I support steam because you buy a game, you play it and even if you lose your net connection you can play it. I had my cable modem go out for two days and couldn't replace it until a monday (happened on friday) so I was without the net for the weekend but I coudl still boot up steam and play any of the games I had on it just fine.

Games are a product, not a "service," Cable, electricity, those are services, not products. You don't "own" the cable or such things and acts of nature do happen.

My point is simply, I feel that when you buy a game that features single player gameplay that you should be able to play it without requiring a net connection. It's that simple.

One of the main reasons I don't like this is easily explained here in IGN's recent review of Rise of Flight,w hich features this exact requirment for their game, where it constantly checks if you're connected to their servers and updates your progress and other things:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002055p2.html

You're being a hypocrit whether you realize it or not. It doesn't matter if the game has single player or not. Both should be held to your same standard. You're still paying $50 for a game when you buy a new MMO. It doesn't matter if it's online multi only. You buy c&c4 knowing it's online only. There's no difference. You are buying games that require the internet to play.

Just because a game is single player doesn't mean that company should get shit for requiring an internet connection. Part of the whole reason the MMOs are so successful is because of their online only play. It has pretty much wiped out piracy. A company that makes a single player game should be allowed to do the same thing. There shouldn't be restrictions just because their game has a single player component. I like this idea and if it provides good content online I think it's a good step at getting more customers.

lonedawg
Stiler

No I'm not, there IS a difference between an MMO, because the entire game itself rests on you playing ONLINE, there's no single player or any such thing to an mmo, you need to be online in order to actually play the fucking game.

I
Quote:
You buy c&c4 knowing it's online only. There's no difference. You are buying games that require the internet to play.
I think either you're not reading what I'm typing or just trying to get under my skin. It's not about being aware of that before you buy it, it's the fact that the game is not an mmo and features a single player portion yet still tethers you to their servers when you play the game. This LIMITS your ability to play your game after you've boughtit NOT because it "enhances" the gameplay or adds to the experience, rather because of DRM. It is simply la function built into the game that limits the players ability to actually play the game, even if it's a small way for some people and they might not experience that many issues, I do not want to support it and I will not put money into it, it's my choice and my opion. You are entitled to your own opinion.

LLC
pwned

Quote:
No I'm not, there IS a difference between an MMO, because the entire game itself rests on you playing ONLINE, there's no single player or any such thing to an mmo, you need to be online in order to actually play the fucking game.

I

I think either you're not reading what I'm typing or just trying to get under my skin. It's not about being aware of that before you buy it, it's the fact that the game is not an mmo and features a single player portion yet still tethers you to their servers when you play the game. This LIMITS your ability to play your game after you've boughtit NOT because it "enhances" the gameplay or adds to the experience, rather because of DRM. It is simply la function built into the game that limits the players ability to actually play the game, even if it's a small way for some people and they might not experience that many issues, I do not want to support it and I will not put money into it, it's my choice and my opion. You are entitled to your own opinion.

Yes, there's no single player in MMOs. So they get a free pass because they don't add single player to their games? It's just stupid because you're saying you wouldn't have a problem with the game if it was multiplayer only but since they gave you single player they MUST have offline play.

So if c&c4 was an online multiplayer game only you'd buy it but since it has single player and won't allow you to play offline you won't buy the game. That's just fucking stupid, honestly.

lonedawg
Stiler

I fail to see how it's stupid, online games duh duh duh are only PLAYABLE online.

Single player games, duh duh duh, are normally playable offline. It's been like this since video games existed.

Requiring someone to use the net to play a gameplay mode that in itself doesn't REQUIRE the internet is stupid, I don't want to support it period.

I fail to see how you can't grasp this. Call me a hypocrite all you want.

There are still a ton of people out there without broadband, people who travel a lot/don't have steady access to the net, among the times when those of us with it have it go down or other random things.

I would just like to be able to enjoy the single player portion of any game that I purchase when I want to play it, not when their servers are up/I only have a net connection.

I'm tired of explaining this to you, I don't know how much more crystal clear I can get on how it's different from MMO's/online games and the fact it servers no BENEFIT to the gamer in any way and only serves to limit you in a way.

If it was done as a means to simply have statistics/compare them online and other things then it should have been an option to use and have something to fall back on with no net connection, the same way as pc games that use windows Live ( IE fallout 3).

LLC
pwned

Quote:
I fail to see how it's stupid, online games duh duh duh are only PLAYABLE online.

Single player games, duh duh duh, are normally playable offline. It's been like this since video games existed.

Requiring someone to use the net to play a gameplay mode that in itself doesn't REQUIRE the internet is stupid, I don't want to support it period.

I fail to see how you can't grasp this. Call me a hypocrite all you want.

There are still a ton of people out there without broadband, people who travel a lot/don't have steady access to the net, among the times when those of us with it have it go down or other random things.

I would just like to be able to enjoy the single player portion of any game that I purchase when I want to play it, not when their servers are up/I only have a net connection.

I'm tired of explaining this to you, I don't know how much more crystal clear I can get on how it's different from MMO's/online games and the fact it servers no BENEFIT to the gamer in any way and only serves to limit you in a way.

If it was done as a means to simply have statistics/compare them online and other things then it should have been an option to use and have something to fall back on with no net connection, the same way as pc games that use windows Live ( IE fallout 3).

In todays market it makes sense to require an internet connection. 10 years ago you'd be right. If they required an internet connection 10 years ago for a single player game I'd say it was stupid. But since the vast majority of gamers with nice rigs that will run a game like this have the internet it makes sense.
The game is primarily a multiplayer game anyways.

Again, it doesn't matter if an MMO is an online only game, you still aren't able to play the game sometimes. A game is a game which you paid for. If both tell you it requires their servers to be up then you have nothing to complain about. If c&c4 comes out and they don't tell you on the box, then it would be wrong. This is no problem and you're bitching about spilled milk.

So you lose your internet connection and want to play c&c4....tough luck. My electricity goes out and I can't play a movie or any single player game I own. Tough shit. Cry about it and move on.