General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

i don't buy very many games any more. that said there are still some from time to time that peak my interest enough to want to buy them and play them. if i see this kind of thing on a game, regardless of how badly i want to play it, i won't bother.

its much easier to play it at a friends, or just save money and forget about it in a week. if i'm spending my money on a single player game i expect to be able to play it whenever i want. regardless of internet connection, and regardless of period in time.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

vinnie
OH MY GOD!!! I LOVE SUCKING COCK!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalus View Post
You're missing the point. People will download unauthorized copies of the game regardless. These "counter-measures" do nothing to prevent that. It only hurts the paying customer. If anyone is doing any forcing, it's the publisher's legal dept.
Pretty much. The DRM free versions still seem to be being released at or before the release of the crippled shit in shops.

The publishers need to make people *want* to pay for games. When it is easier for a house mum to work out how to pirate shit then buy something and keep it activated, why would they want to buy it?

I appreciate that investors demand DRM and that nothing we say on forums will ever affect DRM, aside from a small handfull of cases. I will just lament the continued passing of available PC material- the PC section in shops is often down to a single shelf segment here now
.......v.

jersoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post
Yes, it's a non issue, until your net goes down or EA has server problems (Which they tend to have for new/popular games).

so what? you want limited installs or root kits instead? this is a tame DRM. besides pirates will figure a way around it like always.

it's an non issue. i hate DRM as much as the next guy but this is fair.

how often does your net go down? i'll give you the servers cause they do suck, but so does steam's on release day.

lonedawg
Stiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersoc View Post
so what? you want limited installs or root kits instead? this is a tame DRM. besides pirates will figure a way around it like always.

it's an non issue. i hate DRM as much as the next guy but this is fair.

how often does your net go down? i'll give you the servers cause they do suck, but so does steam's on release day.

How about none of the above? Put a cd key in it or something that allows you to install/play without being dependent on their servers/internet for single player.

My net doesn't go down often, but at least once-twice a month I find it going down from time to time, sometimes for hours if there's a problem or a bad storm that fucks it up.

Busterzx202

Just go buy the damn game, give the publishers their money, then DL a cracked version of the game to get around the internet connectivity issues. That way everyone gets what they want.

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterzx202 View Post
Just go buy the damn game, give the publishers their money, then DL a cracked version of the game to get around the internet connectivity issues. That way everyone gets what they want.
Yeah, let's all pay to be put on a short leash and every time that we look away from EA, they give it a sharp yank.

Busterzx202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalus View Post
Yeah, let's all pay to be put on a short leash and every time that we look away from EA, they give it a sharp yank.

Yeah and there isn't much you're going to do to change what EA does. So you can just buy the game and play it, with your required internet connection, and if you are that unhappy with the way the publisher says "If you want to play our game this is how you have to do it." then go ahead and do what you have to do to get around it.

If you're buying the game for the multiplayer you obviously need an internet connection anyways, and if you're buying it for the single player then you're just gonna have to deal with their rules, or download a crack and go around it.

Edit: And no I don't agree with what EA is doing, I personally think its BS that they are doing it. But there isn't much that can be done about it, they do things that piss off their customers and make enough money not to care. People will still buy the game.

Last edited by Busterzx202; 07-19-2009 at 02:47 PM..

Suicide King

Biospider

Not about video games, but this makes my point for me:

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biospider View Post
Not about video games, but this makes my point for me:

Exactly

Same reason I (and tons of others) wouldn't buy any of Sony's stupid players that only work with protected media.

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Yeah and there isn't much you're going to do to change what EA does. So you can just buy the game and play it, with your required internet connection, and if you are that unhappy with the way the publisher says "If you want to play our game this is how you have to do it." then go ahead and do what you have to do to get around it.

If you're buying the game for the multiplayer you obviously need an internet connection anyways, and if you're buying it for the single player then you're just gonna have to deal with their rules, or download a crack and go around it.

Edit: And no I don't agree with what EA is doing, I personally think its BS that they are doing it. But there isn't much that can be done about it, they do things that piss off their customers and make enough money not to care. People will still buy the game.
I will not buy C&C4. I will most definitely play it though.

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

Quote:

or you could you know, not buy it. if every game that has this kind of thing has poor sales eventually they'll figure out what the reason is. if the games sell then it shows the company that they can continue this sort of thing.

Scrivener
Scrivener never gets any love :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...t-connection/1

Yeah....sure that's the reason and not anti piracy. Whelp definitely know I won't be buying it. This is exactly like Rise of Flight (WWI flight sim that came out recently) and it's exactly why I haven't bought it yet either.

Requiring an internet connection to "track progress" should at most be an option, if you have no internet at the time it should still allow you to play single player as any other game would normally allow.

I was more excited than a puppy with a rawhide treat when I heard about Rise of Flight, but I'm sticking to my guns over the "not touching any single-player games that require activation/internet to play." Needless to say, I haven't bought many games lately.

MachinegunHead

Conspiracy Theory

Companies load up singleplayer games with DRM but not multiplayer games, because they see 'singleplayer' games as unsustainable due to them being easy to pirate in full. Compared to multiplayer games which can be pirated, but you miss out on multiplayer services (i.e. pirate WoW, but miss out on official services).

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisman5000 View Post
You people shouldn't be mad at the developers for doing this, you should be mad at the thieves that steal games forcing their hand.

Nobody works for free... if most of the retards that pirate games would leave their mom's basement and enter the real world they would notice that it sucks to not get paid for your hard work.

What part of games outperform movies in profit margin did you not understand?