General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Busterzx202

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Doesn't mean that they are either. I'm serious. Most people I know that have money actually use it either on itunes or even good old fashioned CD/DVD media. I would use iTunes... except DRM. In this case it's hurting them!

I think we've digressed a bit. My main arguments were:

1. DRM sucks. I do realize piracy may cut into profits in some cases, but DRM sucks and doesn't fix anything. It's like gun control - only those that abide by the law get shafted.

2. False analogies aside, there really is less harm with digital piracy then plain old fashioned theft: a thief stole a car, someone is out a car. A digital thief stole an MP3, a random person gains a new song. It's like sneaking into a movie where half the seats are empty anyway. Yes, tehcnically wrong but please for the love of god stop comparing it to rape and murder. Those that have to sneak in have no money anyway so just enjoy the free publicity if your movie is actually decent!

And I agree whole heartedly with you. I just disagree with Apsalus' holier-then-thou idea that since he disagrees with the way EA does buisness it gives him the right to pirate games.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterzx202 View Post
And I agree whole heartedly with you. I just disagree with Apsalus' holier-then-thou idea that since he disagrees with the way EA does buisness it gives him the right to pirate games.
You've obligated me to set you straight on my views: I do disagree with EA's call to use this form of DRM for C&C4. I do not feel that this entitles me to pirate games in general. I will play C&C4 while denying EA a +1 sales figure for C&C4. For all you know, this means that I will borrow it from a friend who purchased it. Now kindly shut the fuck up.

bthorton
The check engine light when you ECU (cars computer) sets a trouble code. It's no hoax, just because

i duno about the rest of you, but i only game on my desktop PC (versus a laptop), so i'm always connected to the internet anyways. furthermore, even my shitty comcast cable internet rarely goes down nowadays. i dont foresee this being a major problem except for laptop users on-the-go...who probably dont have time for a 2 hour campaign mission anyways.

trumpcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMocking View Post
goodbye thigpig.

55 posts, and every one of them was trolling . gtfo my genmay.

lol i was right another dupe

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
No what he means is if you made a dildo, or built a car you're out some extra amount of materials and it cost you money for packaging, storage and labor to produce each unit. If I come along and steal this car/dildo from your warehouse, you're now out some money.

In contrast, when you perform a song and have it recorded, you're not out any money whether it sells a million or ten times that. You only stand to gain something. It's not direct harm if someone who wouldn't have bought it anyway now gets to hear the song for free - think of it as radio. Some songs you hear and go "Oh I think I would like to try the whole album" and some songs you cringe at. Could you tape radio? Yes. Has it ruined music? No.

There IS a difference between a dildo and a song!

So what you are saying is that Christorectomy is not a song?

By the way. Since he has been permabaned more than once. Accessing this site with a dupe violates the anti-terrorism act for illegal access to a computer.

Last edited by TheMorlock; 07-20-2009 at 11:56 PM..

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twink View Post
Yeah, except for the fact when you download torrents you are seeding them to thousands of other people. Therefore not only are you breaking the law but you are helping others do it. When you sneak into the movies you're only doing it yourself.

It would be more equivalent to sneaking into the movies, taping it, and then distributing it outside the movie theater for free to millions of people.

The law abiding customer isn't getting shafted in this case. Also, there are a lot of pirated games that don't work or only work partially. We haven't seen the cracked copy of this game yet. But the pirate doesn't always win in gaming. I can think of many cracked games that were bugged which led to bad word of mouth reviews even though they played a poor version of the real game.

Just because DRM doesn't completely eradicate piracy doesn't mean you get rid of it. Your house or your car can be broken into even if they are locked. Does that mean you should just leave your doors unlocked? You mean there are people that would steal out there that don't know advanced techniques to accomplish theft? omg maybe I should lock my doors then. but then I would have to take the time to bring keys and lock and unlock it every time. then i could lock my keys in my cars and it could be a pain in the ass.

i mean car theft is going to happen anyways so why don't we just get rid of all locks
Wow, if you weren't making it so obvious you might have squeaked by without getting another dupe account banned. Why don't you post a link to your one other post seeing as have you've only posted twice under this account?

Last edited by Apsalus; 07-21-2009 at 02:02 PM..

PureBooYah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalus View Post
Wow, if you weren't making it so obvious you might have squeaked by without getting another dupe account banned. Why don't you post a link to your one other post seeing as have you've only posted twice under this account?

Busterzx202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalus View Post

Its frustrating, I have a legit argument, that I at least tried to support and make intelligent, and he comes in on a similar stance, and acts like a complete tool.

KorrMuraan

I like being able to load up some good retrogaming w/o having to worry if the company (and of course their servers) have gone belly up.

Online requirements for an essentially SP game is lame.

Equally lame is allowing multiplayer... but only on dev hosted servers.

Giving players control over their own experience is what can make a good game great. Heavily modifible games rule, and there're still a few out there that understand that.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by twink View Post
Yeah, except for the fact when you download torrents you are seeding them to thousands of other people. Therefore not only are you breaking the law but you are helping others do it. When you sneak into the movies you're only doing it yourself.

It would be more equivalent to sneaking into the movies, taping it, and then distributing it outside the movie theater for free to millions of people.

The law abiding customer isn't getting shafted in this case. Also, there are a lot of pirated games that don't work or only work partially. We haven't seen the cracked copy of this game yet. But the pirate doesn't always win in gaming. I can think of many cracked games that were bugged which led to bad word of mouth reviews even though they played a poor version of the real game.

Just because DRM doesn't completely eradicate piracy doesn't mean you get rid of it. Your house or your car can be broken into even if they are locked. Does that mean you should just leave your doors unlocked? You mean there are people that would steal out there that don't know advanced techniques to accomplish theft? omg maybe I should lock my doors then. but then I would have to take the time to bring keys and lock and unlock it every time. then i could lock my keys in my cars and it could be a pain in the ass.

i mean car theft is going to happen anyways so why don't we just get rid of all locks

lol nt

Hey, torrents are one thing. I personally jump on usenets when I have a chance, I'm not helping anything.

Quote:
Its frustrating, I have a legit argument, that I at least tried to support and make intelligent, and he comes in on a similar stance, and acts like a complete tool.

He's really on our side, spitting in your soup

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:

Since EA uses the billions it earns to buy laws favorable to themselves and unfavorable to their clients I think the pirates are behaving just as ethically as the software vendors.