General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Yea the 550 is a beaut, I'd like to pick one up some day to cafe up. It'll be awhile though, the next vehicle we get I promised would be for my wife.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

lopoetve

I keep thinking about adding a Thruxton or a Scrambler to the stable for the same thing - be a great around-town and mountain toy to compliment the Harley... and give me something to ride when it breaks down (!#$!@#$ suspension).

there's a local classic-bike shop I want to visit though too - he always has some cafe'd bikes out front for sale from that era. Gotta get a second car first though.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

vile1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post
I keep thinking about adding a Thruxton or a Scrambler to the stable for the same thing - be a great around-town and mountain toy to compliment the Harley... and give me something to ride when it breaks down (!#$!@#$ suspension).

there's a local classic-bike shop I want to visit though too - he always has some cafe'd bikes out front for sale from that era. Gotta get a second car first though.

Thruxtons are pure sex!

ALso, ++1 on the CB550.

But there are 4 things to worry about on it, as with ANY bike pre-1991:

CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS!
Rebuild them if it starts running wonky.

Daishi
daishi daishi bo baishi banana fana fo faishi

Carburetors on old bikes are the devil

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by vile1 View Post
Thruxtons are pure sex!

ALso, ++1 on the CB550.

But there are 4 things to worry about on it, as with ANY bike pre-1991:

CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS!
Rebuild them if it starts running wonky.

I have this dream of getting one and having a custom paint job done - black and white checkerboard flag on a red background, and then raising the pegs a notch and getting sweet sticky tires for it. Would be so much bloody fun. The scrambler is sweet though too.

You might know this - can one swap out the bars for actual clip-ons with the current thruxton?
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

LiLFLiP

Quote:

Ugh, I really really want a Thruxton.

How is it for carrying a passenger, though, with that cafe seat? I see that it has foot pegs for a passenger...

vile1

Quote:
You might know this - can one swap out the bars for actual clip-ons with the current thruxton?

You certainly can!

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLFLiP View Post
Ugh, I really really want a Thruxton.

How is it for carrying a passenger, though, with that cafe seat? I see that it has foot pegs for a passenger...

I think the cafe seat cover comes off and there's something back there - I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vile1 View Post
You certainly can!

Is that the 04 though? The old ones came with clip-ons, they just went to an actual riser-bar this time. I think you can still take it off though.

That'd be a sweet-as-hell bike... how good tires can you get for those narrow wheels?
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Tupat Liquor

just picked me up a 91 FZR 400 with 600 swap. it was 700 bucks. i took it for a lil test drive around my neighborhood and it fuckin screams. im gonna build it into a bad ass streetfighter. first pic is of the bike as it was when i picked it up, second pic is with the front fairing removed. i just couldnt resist. thinkin about pickin up some GSXR forks and a r6 tail

vile1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupat Liquor View Post
just picked me up a 91 FZR 400 with 600 swap. it was 700 bucks. i took it for a lil test drive around my neighborhood and it fuckin screams. im gonna build it into a bad ass streetfighter. first pic is of the bike as it was when i picked it up, second pic is with the front fairing removed. i just couldnt resist. thinkin about pickin up some GSXR forks and a r6 tail

Just an FYI - an R1 front end ('98-'03 and possibly '04) will most likely fit with less fabricating than a gsxr front end.

Insanely rare find, good luck

Tupat Liquor

thanks for the advice.

one problem ive run into so far: the rear wheel is sized at 140/70/18. the 18 part of that is gonna be a problem for me, so saturday morning bright and early i will be jacking up the bike, removing the wheel, and taking it down to the motorcycle salvage yard to find a more acceptable 17 inch wheel that i can make work. i havent made much progress yet but i will surely post pics as i progress. might even make a build thread

Tupat Liquor

ive got a spare gsxr 600 swing arm lying around and from what i can tell so far, it looks to be a close call as far as fitment and lineup. i may end up with a 17/180 on the back there. that would be pretty titties, but i dont know if i want to buy a whole new rear brake caliper. tryin to do this kind of on the cheap

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

go see what fzrarchives has to say about rear wheel swaps

Tupat Liquor

dude they say a million different things on there. i was reading up for like 4 hours last night and i just decided to do it my own way cuz it seems like there is no definitive "right way" to tackle this one. which is kind of a bummer, when i used to have an SV, it was nice that everyone knew the GSXR fork swap and there are a million guides on how to do it, and its pretty much a bolt on mod. this ones gonna take some creativity

Animosity

First bike I got was a honda cbr600 f3i, now I have a VTX1300r and a Sportster, both equipped with complete motorcycle speaker systems that I got from www.cycleacoustics.com

Awesome system, and loud as shit, even at highway speeds.