General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
I don't buy that Greyhounds are good apartment dogs for example. That's personal experience advice with one dog who may be old or fat or retarded or all of the above. Dog that are made to run will want to do just that. Pretty much most dogs are made to travel long distance every day in search of food. They get very restless and sad if you leave them alone in a small space for weeks.

How about you just don't talk about things you don't have a clue about? Did you respond with this just because I said it and you thought you could refute me to make me look stupid?

Greyhounds are lazy couch potatoes. How about you take your own advice and read the wiki on them. This is a well known FACT. Greyhounds were sight hounds bred with the singular task of chasing something down, quickly. Then they were used to race. Where they chased something down, quickly. They're all fast twitch muscles. One burst and they're pretty much done. The rest of their time was spent sleeping and relaxing. They do that extremely well.

As for "don't leave them outside" - again, you know nothing about the breed. They have next to no body fat, so in the winter you have to put a coat on them just to take em on a pee walk. They don't do well sitting in the sun for the same reason. They are not well adapted to regulating their body temperatures. In the bay area, where I think he's from, as long as there is shade I don't see a ton of issues on normal days, except for the fact that again, lack of body fat, they get sores on their bodies very easily when they aren't sleeping on something soft, and they cut very easily. On top of that, they are sight hounds with almost no sense of direction. The dog gets out of the backyard, the dog will BOLT and then have no idea where the fuck they are or how to get back, and they don't stop running until they are exhausted or caught their prey, which makes getting hit by a car an even bigger challenge. Leaving them outside unattended just isn't smart.

You clearly do not know anything about greyhounds, and basically bumped a months old thread just to show your ignorance.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
What did i say that is wrong? Many breeds ARE fine outside, like malamutes. You basically reiterated what i said with the whole "breed traits" thing, good job I guess.

As for a couple decent walks every week, that's what i meant - most people won't do that. It's more like one walk every two months, if that. My neighbors and friends are like that, so are many people I meet.

If you don't live an active lifestyle that involves outdoors and your dog, don't get one that needs it. Which are most dogs. Except maybe those Shitsus and Maltese and similar, i don't know much about small dogs. Never had any and they seem like an inferior choice to a cat frankly.

Hmm, let's try the following:
Quote:
Dogs lived outside since the fucking ice age.

It's not a problem.
Stupid.

Quote:
Anyway my best advice for someone without their own back yard "living in a flat" etc is don't get a dog.

Just don't do it. There problem solved. People always think of the time spent with the dog, but in reality you will be out with friends, at work, doing homework and so forth while the dog will chew it's own feet raw because you never go running with it and it's bored and depressed.
Stupid. If you don't have time to take care of your dog, leaving it outside in the back yard doesn't solve that problem. If you do have time to take care of your dog, and choose the right breed, there's no problem living in an apartment.

Quote:
I don't buy that Greyhounds are good apartment dogs for example
Stupid.

Quote:
Dog that are made to run will want to do just that. Pretty much most dogs are made to travel long distance every day in search of food.
Stupid.

Hell, even
Quote:
If you don't live an active lifestyle that involves outdoors and your dog, don't get one that needs it. Which are most dogs Except maybe those Shitsus and Maltese and similar,
is stupid. There are lots of low energy dogs that aren't tiny, and many small dogs are not low energy. Yes, you will need to spend a few hours a week out walking, but that's a big difference from an "active outdoor lifestyle."

firstrev360

get a french bulldog.

aoeoae

get a briard

Gewdozer

What about one of those tiny dogs, if you forget to look after it and it dies you could rip its guts out and use it as a handbag.

jerricreegan

they're easygoing, easy to train, and easy to groom: Cockapoo (Cockapoodle), Poodle, Pug, Puggle,Coton de Tulear
,French Bulldog, Golden Retriever

Dides1967

You may want to consider having a Labrador Retriever as your first pet dog. This dog breed is friendly and can be a very useful working dog too.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Oh, fuck, the mers are out again...

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Worker

Get a Cocker Spaniel)

sargeaw

snauzers don't shed much and are very loyal but the tend to bark a lot.

sargeaw

Wiener dogs don't shed much if you get short haired and They are very friendly and like most people.

SandyRojer

yes! I do agree with you mate, probably those dogs are much better than some people. lol.

Last edited by SandyRojer; 07-01-2013 at 02:16 AM..

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Our fat, adopted corgi with like... papers and noble parentage/provenance has a bark like a fucking sawed off shotgun, obnoxious as fuck. So beware. But she is happy going for extended walks with our collie.

Our (healthier, non rescue) corgi balks and stops short when taken on walks but she really loves to chase balls, sprint around our back yard. But putting around the city would probably be okay. She was the runt of the litter and has off-color eyes but she is awesome. Definitely smaller than our other one. She'll swim after sticks and pine cones thrown into lakes, using her tail as a rudder. Pretty funny.

They are scary intelligent. The runt corgi will pretend to be extremely interested in something going on in the back yard, get the other dogs going crazy then duck into the kitchen to get all the toast crusts.

A collie probably wouldnt be a bad choice, our rough blue merle collie stayed in shape because we didn't overfeed him, but he wasnt a very active dog. Very well mannered, but kind of a chow hound. Family would sit down for dinner and he'd go into nitro high alert mode eyes all the wya open darting from plate to fork to mouth waiting for something to drop.

Our new collie sleeps during dinner and is extremely athletic/sprints around the yard and goes for extremely long walks... He also attacks the pool sweep, has caught its tail, pulled it out of the pool and destroyed it twice now. Every dog is different.

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 07-01-2013 at 04:15 PM..

RavinDJ

Chow Chow

It might be too hot for them in your climate, but they are amazing dogs. If you train them a little, they are soooo well-behaved!

thewelshman

French poodle.