General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2[H]4U View Post
You are pretty much beyond any help at this point but I'll make an attempt. Or you're trolling

In some western european countries university is only three years and the focus is only on your major. If you choose physics you will only do physics for 3 years. All of your english, writing or history classes are done in A levels, O levels and sixth form.

UK people are funny with their A-level, O-level talk - how many farthings does it cost? Not a jot or a tiddle!.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjikji View Post
you get bored easily. physics is still novel to you. .....

That's my problem and why I couldn't commit to grad school.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

oh lawd

this thread

auntie
pwned

what do you do for work sam
[QUOTE=oleo]I'm almost 30 and I almost got fat again.[/QUOTE]
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
One major isn't "easier" than another, they all require you to show up somewhere every day. It shows you know how to learn. Employers like this.

Wanna get the best return on investment? Obviously you could go into business or finance, but if its in the sciences you're into then go for MS or Ph.D in Engineering (Computer, electrical, math, etc...). For a close second go full on for a Ph.D. in Physics, Chem, or medicine.

Last edited by Vote McCain!; 01-16-2014 at 12:23 AM..

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Yea pretty much, and if I like it I can go further...?

oh no..... you'll end up as a jack of all trades, and master of nothing

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
Wanna get the best return on investment? Obviously you could go into business or finance, but if its in the sciences you're into then go for MS or Ph.D in Engineering (Computer, electrical, math, etc...). For a close second go full on for a Ph.D. in Physics, Chem, or medicine.

I loved this electric engineering class in HS where we made all manner of simple circuits. Auto was a lot of fun too. About the only things that i truly get bored doing is something like finance. I'd say that's off the table for me. Medicine is interesting but I'm uneasy around sick people. I find it all very sensible and easy to digest though, my roommate is an LVN studying for RN and I did some of his homework with him out of curiosity.

Speaking of engineering, Clarkson has a PhD in mechanical iirc. You'd never guess it though. Someone give that man anti-aging meds, we can't lose him

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
oh no..... you'll end up as a jack of all trades, and master of nothing

I know

Unsure if good or bad but it plays into my nature. If anything, understanding both Russian and American culture extensively, speaking both of those languages and being decent at translating and sharing concepts/ideas I may end up doing something international. American companies need help in Russia, and vice versa. A lot of that going on right now. I was interested in working for Wargaming, one of big-boy players in F2P, but you must be physically present in their San Fran office for any real salary, but they do pay for being a "community leader" online - this is something I'm looking into now while I finish school.

Globalization is an interesting new major. Met a Japanese exchange student chick at my school who was majoring in it. She made some good points. I took a principles of glob class, and taking "borders, waterways and trade" this semester as an elective. Maybe I can minor in Glob. Seems good for my long term US-RU relation management goals...

Ps. Thanks, it's nice to get a non-jackass perspective. I never knew you're a prof. Now I'm kind of curious where

Jack's raging erection

Globalization sounds like another fluff program to get the school some of that student loan money. Kind of like those entrepreneur programs.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

/shrug

every major was new at some point. Socrates didn't believe that "writing" should be a thing.

http://kazez.blogspot.com/2010/07/wh...dnt-write.html

edplayer
no

so I majored in globalization

how did u do?

I showed up every day...

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer View Post
so I majored in globalization

how did u do?

I showed up every day...

There's a little more than attendance. Since you're curious in your own roundabout way I can give examples of what we did in the intro course: take tests and write essays that demonstrate understanding of significant historic/political events, concepts and structures. We learned about the formation of the UN, past, present and future goals and methods. Socioeconomic models of nations, and things of that nature. For our final we had to do a 12 page "UN policy brief" on a new policy of our own choosing and the defense for its necessity. I did mine on how the WHO can and should push countries to exhibit a greater degree of cooperation in regard to pandemic study and prevention. 12 sources, a lot of case studies about how flu travels and such.

edplayer
no

most employers are looking at how u could potentially make them more money. keep that in mind...

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Right. Staying in touch with customers as well as your own employees kind of matters in that regard, wouldn't you agree?

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

please, tell us how taking 9 credits to satisfy the requirement for a "minor" equates to anything besides fuck all

please tell us more