General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
GregCapo
 
Playstation 4, Xbox "720" etc thoughts?

With all the Project Natal and the Playstation 3 Wand excitement, I can't with all honesty say I'm excited about either one. Call me old school (I grew up on the Sega Genesis and SNES) but I'm really not interested at all in flapping my arms around like an idiot to play a game, or talk to some digital little boy on a swingset. I get the "immersion into the game" argument, but I'm still not excited.

I'm hoping, HOPING next gen consoles still keep a focus on a regular freaking controller. Thoughts?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 PM GregCapo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Daishi
daishi daishi bo baishi banana fana fo faishi
 
Daishi's Avatar
 
They can get more sales by having all this motion sensing . Example : Wii.

It's here to stay, I think. Unfortunately.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:38 PM Daishi is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

KrEy0nZ
 
I feel the same way. This motion nonsense is for the fucking birds. Example... Super SMash Brothers Brawl with a gamecube controller, or the same game with the stupid Wii mote and swinging it around. NO THANKS
__________________
Keep Music Evil \m/

0fd1f70d8a1b329cf462d13863230f77
Old 11-22-2009, 11:45 PM KrEy0nZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

GregCapo
 
If you took all the shit-ware games from the Wii library, it would reduce down to probably less than 10 games fuck the Wii with the exception of Zelda and a small handful of notable games. Even this generation's games are getting such less varied, Playstation 2 had SUCH a wide variety of excellent games. I love Assassins Creed 2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc but really miss the ps2 game library (which to be fair, games were a lot cheaper to make last gen. I just see things going downhill I don't mind Call of Duty and Halo, but these games are lessening the entire gaming industry, no one is taking risks anymore
Old 11-22-2009, 11:47 PM GregCapo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

teh scud
 
teh scud's Avatar
 
the third party market is still in traditional games. the casual motion market will continue to grow with it being introduced to the more powerful consoles, but i really doubt the core market will just vaporize or anything.

the industry is expanding -- enjoy it.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 AM teh scud is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

theNoid
 
theNoid's Avatar
 
Regardless of what any of us think, gaming is no longer reserved only for nerdy 15-35 year old males. This hobby of ours, is how shared by people like our mothers, sisters, and teachers. Its never going to be the same, might as well roll with it or dwell in misery. As long as consumers are holding money, waiting for motion control.. they are just as entitled to their software of choice, as are you.

Being a long time gaming nerd gives you no more clout than a brand new 52 year old mother buying a Wii for Wii Fit. You and her are one in the same, nothing but a consumer buying a product they desire. The industry cares about money, not what a few uptight basement dwellers think. (I'm a basement dweller)

Gaming has always evolved and will continue to evolve, if you do not like what you see and it bothers you so... get a new hobby. In the meantime, the rest of us will continue playing our traditional games because both Microsoft and Sony have been on record stating their motion control tech isn't here to replace existing control hardware, but only to expand upon it.
__________________
855d05149c8915538dbad94c796751cc
Old 11-23-2009, 12:56 AM theNoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

Abarai
I want to suck vinnies cock but all I got was this title
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCapo View Post
If you took all the shit-ware games from the Wii library, it would reduce down to probably less than 10 games fuck the Wii with the exception of Zelda and a small handful of notable games. Even this generation's games are getting such less varied, Playstation 2 had SUCH a wide variety of excellent games. I love Assassins Creed 2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc but really miss the ps2 game library (which to be fair, games were a lot cheaper to make last gen. I just see things going downhill I don't mind Call of Duty and Halo, but these games are lessening the entire gaming industry, no one is taking risks anymore

It really isn't Bungie's fault that other game companies are copying its fps template. Bungie took the risk by first creating Halo after everyone was already trapped in the Goldeneye mindset, and Goldeneye was a risk after everyone was stuck in the Doom/Wolfenstein mindset. It just shows that some people want to make money, but some people want to push the boundaries of what games can become.

Although I think Bungie is kinda milking it at this point. They need to take another leap soon or I'm going to be pissed at their cowardice.

Also, I don't know how they do it, but in my mind Bioware is the Pixar of video games.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:41 AM Abarai is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

Lotsoguns
 
Lotsoguns's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post
Regardless of what any of us think, gaming is no longer reserved only for nerdy 15-35 year old males. This hobby of ours, is how shared by people like our mothers, sisters, and teachers. Its never going to be the same, might as well roll with it or dwell in misery. As long as consumers are holding money, waiting for motion control.. they are just as entitled to their software of choice, as are you.

Being a long time gaming nerd gives you no more clout than a brand new 52 year old mother buying a Wii for Wii Fit. You and her are one in the same, nothing but a consumer buying a product they desire. The industry cares about money, not what a few uptight basement dwellers think. (I'm a basement dweller)

Gaming has always evolved and will continue to evolve, if you do not like what you see and it bothers you so... get a new hobby. In the meantime, the rest of us will continue playing our traditional games because both Microsoft and Sony have been on record stating their motion control tech isn't here to replace existing control hardware, but only to expand upon it.

This is how ricers felt when fast and furious came out.
__________________
5573c6c1e0a02abcd0cc95d9a13fe731
Old 11-23-2009, 01:45 AM Lotsoguns is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

theNoid
 
theNoid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsoguns View Post
This is how ricers felt when fast and furious came out.

Insightful
__________________
855d05149c8915538dbad94c796751cc
Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 AM theNoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

UID=growler
 
UID=growler's Avatar
 
PC games
Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 AM UID=growler is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.
 
mikeawesome's Avatar
 
pc 4 life
Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 AM mikeawesome is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

busychild
 
when i game i like to think a bit and get entertained alot. im not trying to save the world, im there to enjoy myself. i think enough at work. where i think games are going is what Naughty Dog did with Uncharted 2. being able seamless blend a movie and game really blurring the genre is where it will be.

when it comes to these new peripherals, i honestly think id have more fun with the PS3 peripherals. the level of control is more appealing to me then the Natal stuff. i honestly wonder how much of that Natal stuff was smoke and mirrors and what was actual real technology. dont get me wrong i love the premise behind it but in application how will it work? i do like how Peter Molenaux is running with Natal and doing some of the Natal stuff. if anyone can make Natal a viable gaming peripheral it will be him
Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM busychild is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

sir tex
 
sir tex's Avatar
 
It'll be the same shit, but with more retard friendly games than the previous gen.
__________________
cd6e8ebb5168d8886a502892ceb7e346
Old 11-23-2009, 12:14 PM sir tex is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

GMF
sucked dick for crate face
 
GMF's Avatar
 
I don't see shit happening in terms of entirely new consoles until atleast 2011 or 12. Sony and MS, in particular, will want to stretch their consoles lifespans as long as possible - it took them a long time to make a profit and there's much more to churn out from this gen. Furthermore, I'm fully expecting the focus of the new consoles to shift slightly.

I think MS and Sony are going to tone down their focus on making powerhouses in terms of graphics/processing power, we won't be seeing anything as drastic as the difference between PS2/Xbox vs. 360/PS3 come next gen. Although this will certainly be relative to how we see the technology in general progress in the coming years.

The thing about making completely new consoles is that it's fucking tough and fucking expensive to develop them. Let us not forget that all three are in the business to churn a profit, and with the way things are going it seems it'll be more profitable to fuck around with peripherals and other features as opposed to blowing your production money on actual raw gaming power. It's not just motion sensing and the like, the objective of modern consoles is to take center stage in your living room. Expect more micropayments, more movies, more useless shit like PS-Home and social networking. We are going to see stuff like Facebook FarmVille integrated into playable console games etc.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't going to be excellent games. Rather that the hardware might not be focused on serving developers who want to make a mark by making assfuck gorgeous games like Crysis. Whether this is a good or bad thing I don't know, it might simply promote more creative development in general.
__________________
Not the greatest poster in the world, no...
...just a tribute.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:44 PM GMF is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

Skiffy
 
I don't think it was Sony or MS who made the comment but does anyone recall an article describing the next gen would most likely be upgrades of some sort to the existing hardware? Maybe some sort of analyst column or I could be bat shit crazy.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:45 PM Skiffy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.