General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ephekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrEy0nZ View Post
I feel the same way. This motion nonsense is for the fucking birds. Example... Super SMash Brothers Brawl with a gamecube controller, or the same game with the stupid Wii mote and swinging it around. NO THANKS
What kind of idiot would play Smash with a Wiimote anyway? That game clearly was not designed around the motion control. Instead of making a blanket statement based on a stupid activity, why not consider the games actually built around motion control, like Punch Out or Tiger Woods? Motion control actually adds something to these types of games, without just being a silly gimmick.

Motion control has its place imo, it just isn't in every game. I'd agree with motion control sucking up to the point that it's been poorly tacked onto nearly every Wii game without any concern for playability. Sadly, it's mostly only 1st party titles that get it right, but they usually do get it right. Aside from Tiger Woods I really can't think of any good 3rd party motion games though.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

If this is really the direction that consoles are going....I'll have to do some upgrades and get back to pc gaming. Assuming of course that pc gaming isn't near death by then..

edit- I'm so dead set against it that I always disable the "sixaxxis motion" crap in PS3 games when possible...and would never buy a game where it's use was mandatory.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Abarai
I want to suck vinnies cock but all I got was this title

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
If this is really the direction that consoles are going....I'll have to do some upgrades and get back to pc gaming. Assuming of course that pc gaming isn't near death by then..

edit- I'm so dead set against it that I always disable the "sixaxxis motion" crap in PS3 games when possible...and would never buy a game where it's use was mandatory.

Is pc gaming doing poorly? From my perspective, I see pc games doing rather well, so if I'm mistaken please let me know. I love my pc games

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarai View Post
Is pc gaming doing poorly? From my perspective, I see pc games doing rather well, so if I'm mistaken please let me know. I love my pc games

up until 2005-6 or so, a ton of games would be designed for PC and ported to console. now most games are designed for consoles and ported to PC. we have fewer games taking advantage of modern PC hardware and infrastructure. microsoft doesn't want gaming to happen on PCs -- they want it to happen on xbox, so they move their games and persuade third parties to make the move to console. microsoft, the company behind windows, has less PC games in development than sony -- that is insane.

Abarai

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
up until 2005-6 or so, a ton of games would be designed for PC and ported to console. now most games are designed for consoles and ported to PC. we have fewer games taking advantage of modern PC hardware and infrastructure. microsoft doesn't want gaming to happen on PCs -- they want it to happen on xbox, so they move their games and persuade third parties to make the move to console. microsoft, the company behind windows, has less PC games in development than sony -- that is insane.

That's depressing.

The games I'm looking forward to most are on pc. SC2, Diablo III, Star Wars the Old Republic. My favorite games right now are on pc. Torchlight, Heroes of Newerth.

I am also looking forward to Mass Effect 2 though, and I'm going to buy Assassin's Creed 2.

But yeah, pc games were infinitely better at one point. I blame this "casual gamer" movement. All of the idiots that think of themselves as casual gamers aren't willing to buy and maintain a pc when they can just throw down $400 for a box that plays games and only needs a tv to play.

busychild

Quote:
That's depressing.

The games I'm looking forward to most are on pc. SC2, Diablo III, Star Wars the Old Republic. My favorite games right now are on pc. Torchlight, Heroes of Newerth.

I am also looking forward to Mass Effect 2 though, and I'm going to buy Assassin's Creed 2.

But yeah, pc games were infinitely better at one point. I blame this "casual gamer" movement. All of the idiots that think of themselves as casual gamers aren't willing to buy and maintain a pc when they can just throw down $400 for a box that plays games and only needs a tv to play.

i dont know about you all but i sit in front of a computer all day. last thing i want to do is sit on my computer at home for another few hours playing a game... i dont know about you guys, but i hate the elitist attitude PC gamers have over console gamers.

and you nailed it right on the head about having not to throw down 1G for the latest and greatest hardware every few years just to play the newest games. its like a badge for some people to say "well i play Crysis on max settings" (yes my epeen is that big).

the games you listed as well i think are better suited to PC gaming, point click, mmo's will always be better more suited to those type of gamers. not everyone plays those games so why would they need a bad ass PC?

cokezeroholic

There is no way in hell that any game console manufacturing company is going to work backwards. Besides, I don't think we'll see the next incarnation of any current consoles for at least 3 or 4 more years.

Abarai

Quote:
Originally Posted by busychild View Post
i dont know about you all but i sit in front of a computer all day. last thing i want to do is sit on my computer at home for another few hours playing a game... i dont know about you guys, but i hate the elitist attitude PC gamers have over console gamers.

and you nailed it right on the head about having not to throw down 1G for the latest and greatest hardware every few years just to play the newest games. its like a badge for some people to say "well i play Crysis on max settings" (yes my epeen is that big).

the games you listed as well i think are better suited to PC gaming, point click, mmo's will always be better more suited to those type of gamers. not everyone plays those games so why would they need a bad ass PC?

In general, I would say it's about the same amount of money to keep a pc upgraded as it is to buy a new console at launch every few years. By upgraded, I of course mean "able to play games at a reasonable setting".

The point is that gaming is getting a huge influx of mediocre games because companies know that casual gamers will buy them, and that's it. Console gaming itself was great up until these last couple of years. The super nintendo had some of the best games EVER MADE. When gaming started to become mainstream, however, the big names started to shy away from the people that sustained them all of these years in favor of an easier, more profitable market. It makes sense, I can't blame people for wanting to make money, but it's also just a big disappointment at the same time.

When I was born, my brother got a nintendo. My first memory is, and I shit you not, me playing tetris with my mom on that same nintendo. I grew up gaming, as I'm sure a lot of people here have, so I can't help but feel a little hurt that we, the target audience for so many years, are pushed aside for fucking idiots that mocked video games in the first place. It's like being friend-zoned.

Anyway, that's my rant. I just pray for good games in the future.

UTRocketMan

You will never get your "good games" again. You grew up.

The same way that the older generation lamented you staying inside and playing video games, instead of the more "intellectually challenging" board games, or the "character building" sports outside, that is how you and me will forever be about the way video games, and the people that play them, are changing.

It is easier just to accept the fact that your are nostalgically tied to a past, and try to enjoy yourself with these games, or move onto a new hobby.

To be honest, I have been gaming since 1994 ish, and I'm absolutely loving the releases now. Of course Chrono Cross and Trigger, the old FF's, the old Zelda's, Wing Commander, all those have a place in my heart. But if you were to stick me on a desert island and ask me 10 games to pick to bring with me that would be my only source of entertainment that year, you can bet most of them would be from the current generation.

ephekt

Quote:
In general, I would say it's about the same amount of money to keep a pc upgraded as it is to buy a new console at launch every few years. By upgraded, I of course mean "able to play games at a reasonable setting".
How so? My consoles were single purchases; I paid less than $500 up front and won't need to upgrade for 4-5 years. Meanwhile my gaming PC needed a new video card after only 2, and cost three times as much up front. I realize you can get a low end gaming PC for 800 or so, but then you're really skimping on the monitor and graphics.

Quote:
Console gaming itself was great up until these last couple of years. The super nintendo had some of the best games EVER MADE. When gaming started to become mainstream, however, the big names started to shy away from the people that sustained them all of these years in favor of an easier, more profitable market. It makes sense, I can't blame people for wanting to make money, but it's also just a big disappointment at the same time.
The majority of NES games sucked too, you were just too young to realize it. Classic games have a certain novelty, but modern games are generally more complex. Granted, most games are still garbage, but I can still find enough to get into (console or otherwise) to enjoy. Then again, I don't care about FPS nearly as much as I did 10 years ago.

Quote:
I grew up gaming, as I'm sure a lot of people here have, so I can't help but feel a little hurt that we, the target audience for so many years, are pushed aside for fucking idiots that mocked video games in the first place. It's like being friend-zoned.
You sound angry.

Slash
DoucheBagalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
There is no way in hell that any game console manufacturing company is going to work backwards. Besides, I don't think we'll see the next incarnation of any current consoles for at least 3 or 4 more years.

I hope longer.

I don't know if these new motion control devices will be worth a shit, but I hope they work well and help extend the life of the systems a bit longer. I'm pretty happy with the systems now.

One thing that I have absolutely no interest in is 3d. Fuck that noise.

Abarai

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTRocketMan View Post
You will never get your "good games" again. You grew up.
I disagree, I think there are some great games out now, games that will rival super mario world and chrono trigger in my mind. I guess I should have said that I hope some companies will still try to make a good game instead of a quick source of income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephekt View Post
How so? My consoles were single purchases; I paid less than $500 up front and won't need to upgrade for 4-5 years. Meanwhile my gaming PC needed a new video card after only 2, and cost three times as much up front. I realize you can get a low end gaming PC for 800 or so, but then you're really skimping on the monitor and graphics.
I have my monitor left over from years ago, as well as the mouse/keyboard/etc., so that would save a couple hundred bucks. But my computer was only slightly more than 1k, and I don't foresee having to replace anything for a while longer. My computer is relatively new though, so I guess I will have to go ahead and say my statement was wrong. I specifically was thinking about myself and how I buy multiple next gen game consoles, usually when they are first released.

Quote:
The majority of NES games sucked too, you were just too young to realize it. Classic games have a certain novelty, but modern games are generally more complex. Granted, most games are still garbage, but I can still find enough to get into (console or otherwise) to enjoy. Then again, I don't care about FPS nearly as much as I did 10 years ago.
I didn't really mention the NES having good games because I do remember playing a majority that I would put down after 5 minutes. I mean, not every game can be Zelda, but I specifically remember not finding many great games on NES. SNES I would say had a rather strong library, though.

I'm curious as to how you define "complex". Do you mean story wise? Gameplay mechanics?

Quote:
You sound angry.
Only when I think about it. Most of the time I'm too busy playing games and doing work to really care.

ephekt

Quote:
I'm curious as to how you define "complex". Do you mean story wise? Gameplay mechanics?
Mechanics, story, etc. Personally, games like Guild Wars and Street Fighter solidify my belief that modern games can be just as good, if not better, than the classics we're so nostalgic for. I loved the old school RPGs, but they just weren't anywhere near as complex as something like GW, either in combat mechanics, item/buff interactions, class choices, strategy et al and lacked the pvp aspect entirely. Guild vs. guild in GW was the single most fun I've had in gaming in years... while it lasted (whole different story of poor balancing). Street Fighter is a game I've played in some form or another for about 15 years, and although I'll always love games like ST (and still play them to this day), each iteration increases the skill level required to stay competitive. When I first started playing you had... cancels and glitches to exploit, now you have parries, kara and other crazy canceling, links, alpha counters, ways to trade meter for extended combos and more complex match ups depending on the game.

teh scud

games have gotten more sophisticated, but they've also been made easier. old games were relentless, not just with 'game over' meaning you have to start over sometimes, but the gameplay itself -- many of those games forced you to master them to get through the levels. beating those kinds of games was an accomplishment -- today, beating games is like watching a movie... it's inevitable if you continue playing.

now there are a handful of games today that are similarly relentless on harder difficulties. the problem is these games are, as previously mentioned, exponentially more complex than the classics -- so to master some of these games, you really have to devote an insane amount of time and effort. in some cases, they're just too much for me to bother with.

ephekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
games have gotten more sophisticated, but they've also been made easier. old games were relentless, not just with 'game over' meaning you have to start over sometimes, but the gameplay itself -- many of those games forced you to master them to get through the levels. beating those kinds of games was an accomplishment -- today, beating games is like watching a movie... it's inevitable if you continue playing.
I remember a lot of classic games being relentless to the point of killing the fun. I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but things like dying after a single hit and being forced to restart the level from the beginning were superficial difficulty, programmed in due to a lack of better options. Now we have better options. I agree that there has been a rise in consolized games, but in my mine this is mostly limited to FPS, which is why I tend to stay away from that genre now. TF2 is a perfect example of how consolization has dumbed down previously amazing IP. But I digress... there are still plenty of genuinely challenging games around today. At least imo.

Quote:
now there are a handful of games today that are similarly relentless on harder difficulties. the problem is these games are, as previously mentioned, exponentially more complex than the classics -- so to master some of these games, you really have to devote an insane amount of time and effort. in some cases, they're just too much for me to bother with.
Perhaps I'm not the superstar gamer some of you are, but I can generally find a level of difficulty that I like.