General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike
 
chuckybob's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
That. Is. Awesome. . Would it be too much to ask for an entire game based on that (that isn't screwed up, the originals can still do voice acting?)

do you have any idea how boring that would be?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 AM chuckybob is offline  
Reply With Quote
#16  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

MooK
 
MooK's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
do you have any idea how boring that would be?

Only to those who are obsessed with killing/violence; which is what most of our games are like now. Currently, we have an assortment of fantasy RPGs where you slay some monsters and get some loot, some futuristic/modern FPS', sports games or arcade violence. There are a few gems, I will not deny that, but something like this could be quite fun, I would imagine.

Games from the past, where shooting and killing weren't staples of the game, ala adventure and story, are what we seem to be lacking as of late. I can see Back to the Future being something akin to a puzzle/story-line driven game similar to Grim Fandango, Blade Runner or The Longest Journey. It doesn't even have to revolve around the movies (similar to Blade Runner, where you played a new character immersed in the same area and feel to the movie, but you didn't actually play the movie .)

I don't think it would be very boring at all.
__________________
MooK - <3 Website Architecture.
Synth3t1c owes me $20 via PayPal.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:19 AM MooK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#17  

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike
 
chuckybob's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
Only to those who are obsessed with killing/violence; which is what most of our games are like now. Currently, we have an assortment of fantasy RPGs where you slay some monsters and get some loot, some futuristic/modern FPS', sports games or arcade violence. There are a few gems, I will not deny that, but something like this could be quite fun, I would imagine.

Games from the past, where shooting and killing weren't staples of the game, ala adventure and story, are what we seem to be lacking as of late. I can see Back to the Future being something akin to a puzzle/story-line driven game similar to Grim Fandango, Blade Runner or The Longest Journey. It doesn't even have to revolve around the movies (similar to Blade Runner, where you played a new character immersed in the same area and feel to the movie, but you didn't actually play the movie .)

I don't think it would be very boring at all.

the adventure genre is dead for good reason. a lot of good reasons, actually.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 AM chuckybob is offline  
Reply With Quote
#18  

Ashtaka
 
Ashtaka's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
the adventure genre is dead for good reason. a lot of good reasons, actually.

Because kids nowadays can't be bothered with reading and writing unless its some shitty post on their blog.

OMG GUYZ I GOT MODERN WARFAIR TO THEIR GOING TWO SAY BEST GAME OFF THE YEAR. THE STORIE IS THE BEST EVAR.

While pixel hunting and obscure puzzles that made no sense hurt the genre, both of those issues are not game breakers. Games have simply shifted away from slower paced games that require the use of imagination to four hour scripted events that would make Michael Bay jealous.

Though, Professor Layton and games of that ilk say, "Hello."
Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 PM Ashtaka is offline  
Reply With Quote
#19  

MooK
 
MooK's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtaka View Post
Because kids nowadays can't be bothered with reading and writing unless its some shitty post on their blog.

OMG GUYZ I GOT MODERN WARFAIR TO THEIR GOING TWO SAY BEST GAME OFF THE YEAR. THE STORIE IS THE BEST EVAR.

While pixel hunting and obscure puzzles that made no sense hurt the genre, both of those issues are not game breakers. Games have simply shifted away from slower paced games that require the use of imagination to four hour scripted events that would make Michael Bay jealous.

Though, Professor Layton and games of that ilk say, "Hello."

I got dozens of hours out of these kinds of games. They're the type of games where you feel satisfied at the end and that the time you spent was worth it. True, pixel hunting was a pain, but that's not really what I remember from these games. I remember reading the stories, remembering conversations and piecing things together as I uncovered them.

Maybe I was the only one who wrote things down from Myst (the library much) and actually grabbed my portable electronic keyboard for the ship .

I think it's somewhat wrong to say that these games shouldn't be around, simply because they're not today's run-of-the-mill action fest. If anything, I blame most of this on the fact that peoples attention spans as of recent have become short and if the game doesn't progress quickly, play casually and meet low expectations, then the user's experience ends in frustration. This instant-gratification complex (the need to have things done with ease in a very short time, as opposed to things unfolding over the course of a great deal of time, with a lot of effort mixed in) pulls greatly from what our movies and video games could be: serious intellectual or challenging entertainment. If people are able to put up, accept and demand more of this junk, then well, why would the people making it put more money and effort into creating something bigger and better?

edit: The maker of the video even put the time where the jump occurs in an annotation at the beginning, to allow people to quickly and easily find it. Maybe people can't really wait a minute, heh.

Everything is so mind numbingly packed with violence, gore and shock, just to make up for the extremely boring stories and serious lack of . Whatever is quickest to be released and quickest to beat, eh?

I'm not saying games like this don't exist now, but they're a dying or severely limited breed. We usually expect this stuff to come from the massive-multiplayer market, but clearly that didn't pan out as well, did it?

Back to the topic at hand, I still think an adventure based Back to the Future using the initiative shown by the person or people who made that Crysis Mod could be extremely fun. The attention to detail is what's so magnificant and attractive. If only I had the budget and the know-how, right?

edit2:

(16:45:04) BagelKit: http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video...gMpk8&start2=0
__________________
MooK - <3 Website Architecture.
Synth3t1c owes me $20 via PayPal.

Last edited by MooK; 11-23-2009 at 01:46 PM..
Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM MooK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#20  

el aye
you'd you you do
 
el aye's Avatar
 
That is certainly fucking awesome... I'll agree with MooK, the attention to detail on that is great.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:46 PM el aye is offline  
Reply With Quote
#21  

MooK
 
MooK's Avatar
 
http://tirido.blogspot.com/

Screenshots look nice too.
__________________
MooK - <3 Website Architecture.
Synth3t1c owes me $20 via PayPal.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:51 PM MooK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#22  

G-Daddy
I love my mother. No, I REALLY love her. In the butt.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
send it 10 secs into the future

Ohhhhhh yeah..

haven't seen the movies in a lonnnng time, nor remember much of any of them.
__________________
Whiny Douche for mod.
Digital Mocking's a cuntflap
4138660d2dbe60f185882a92b829b0fd
1ccff0ae11de8623189c9693877fcddf
Old 11-23-2009, 02:33 PM G-Daddy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#23  

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike
 
chuckybob's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtaka View Post
Because kids nowadays can't be bothered with reading and writing unless its some shitty post on their blog.

OMG GUYZ I GOT MODERN WARFAIR TO THEIR GOING TWO SAY BEST GAME OFF THE YEAR. THE STORIE IS THE BEST EVAR.

While pixel hunting and obscure puzzles that made no sense hurt the genre, both of those issues are not game breakers. Games have simply shifted away from slower paced games that require the use of imagination to four hour scripted events that would make Michael Bay jealous.

Though, Professor Layton and games of that ilk say, "Hello."

because adventure games were uninspired and worked completely against any kind of free-thinking. you complain about scripting in games? adventure games were all scripting. the world was either one way or the other depending on whether you flipped "the switch". there was no dynamic game play AT ALL. that's the real reason that they arent around anymore.

kids still play non-violent games, and games with puzzles. its just that the puzzles make sense now and the designers tell you the rules. technology has allowed game story telling to advance to levels that we couldnt have dreamed of 10 or 15 years ago.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
I got dozens of hours out of these kinds of games. They're the type of games where you feel satisfied at the end and that the time you spent was worth it. True, pixel hunting was a pain, but that's not really what I remember from these games. I remember reading the stories, remembering conversations and piecing things together as I uncovered them.

Maybe I was the only one who wrote things down from Myst (the library much) and actually grabbed my portable electronic keyboard for the ship .

I think it's somewhat wrong to say that these games shouldn't be around, simply because they're not today's run-of-the-mill action fest. If anything, I blame most of this on the fact that peoples attention spans as of recent have become short and if the game doesn't progress quickly, play casually and meet low expectations, then the user's experience ends in frustration. This instant-gratification complex (the need to have things done with ease in a very short time, as opposed to things unfolding over the course of a great deal of time, with a lot of effort mixed in) pulls greatly from what our movies and video games could be: serious intellectual or challenging entertainment. If people are able to put up, accept and demand more of this junk, then well, why would the people making it put more money and effort into creating something bigger and better?

Everything is so mind numbingly packed with violence, gore and shock, just to make up for the extremely boring stories and serious lack of . Whatever is quickest to be released and quickest to beat, eh?

I'm not saying games like this don't exist now, but they're a dying or severely limited breed. We usually expect this stuff to come from the massive-multiplayer market, but clearly that didn't pan out as well, did it?

and fuck man, i dont even know where to begin with your .

1) the attention span argument is . games are overwhelmingly longer than they used to be. it's almost impossible to find a single player game that doesnt offer over 25 hours on the first play. it's easy to find single player games that offer 300+ hours. multiplayer games can offer much more than that.

2) games are more intellectual now then they used to be. go play metal gear solid and then go play the original zelda and then suck on that for a while. if you mean intellectual in terms of game play, then maybe you should go back and take a look at how many brain cells it really took to pick up every item that had floating text on it and then mash it against every object in the world to achieve the desired result. day of the tentacle was a funny game, but it was not a smart game. monkey island was a fun, clever, and somewhat smart game, but it was not an intellectual game. adventure games generally have funny stories and they may make you feel smart for figuring out that "key + locked door = open door", but they were not the fucking christ figures that everyone always makes them out to be. there is no adventure game story that could not be applied to any other genre.

3) violent video games have been around since 1961. violence is not a modern phenomenon, and it hasn't colored our perception of the world as drastically as people want to believe. if you dont believe me, pick up a history text book some time.

4) look to MMOs for story? are you fucking high? "YOU ARE AN ELF. KILL SPIDERS." is not deep story line. the story of any MMO essentially breaks down to "pure good vs. pure evil" in a completely static world. there are very few exceptions and even the best of the genre would be hard pressed to compare with any single player experience from the latest generation of games in terms of player impact on the world and believability of the world.

i think youre confusing how engrossing games actually were for your own emotional involvement in the story. its just as easy to get heavy into any game if you fucking let yourself, you arrogant closed-minded bastard. what matters is which games are the most rewarding. the only reward adventure games ever gave was story. some other genres at least generally give you story AND game play.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:35 PM chuckybob is offline  
Reply With Quote
#24  

MooK
 
MooK's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
because adventure games were uninspired and worked completely against any kind of free-thinking. you complain about scripting in games? adventure games were all scripting. the world was either one way or the other depending on whether you flipped "the switch". there was no dynamic game play AT ALL. that's the real reason that they arent around anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post

kids still play non-violent games, and games with puzzles. its just that the puzzles make sense now and the designers tell you the rules. technology has allowed game story telling to advance to levels that we couldnt have dreamed of 10 or 15 years ago.




and fuck man, i dont even know where to begin with your .

1) the attention span argument is . games are overwhelmingly longer than they used to be. it's almost impossible to find a single player game that doesnt offer over 25 hours on the first play. it's easy to find single player games that offer 300+ hours. multiplayer games can offer much more than that.

2) games are more intellectual now then they used to be. go play metal gear solid and then go play the original zelda and then suck on that for a while. if you mean intellectual in terms of game play, then maybe you should go back and take a look at how many brain cells it really took to pick up every item that had floating text on it and then mash it against every object in the world to achieve the desired result. day of the tentacle was a funny game, but it was not a smart game. monkey island was a fun, clever, and somewhat smart game, but it was not an intellectual game. adventure games generally have funny stories and they may make you feel smart for figuring out that "key + locked door = open door", but they were not the fucking christ figures that everyone always makes them out to be. there is no adventure game story that could not be applied to any other genre.

3) violent video games have been around since 1961. violence is not a modern phenomenon, and it hasn't colored our perception of the world as drastically as people want to believe. if you dont believe me, pick up a history text book some time.

4) look to MMOs for story? are you fucking high? "YOU ARE AN ELF. KILL SPIDERS." is not deep story line. the story of any MMO essentially breaks down to "pure good vs. pure evil" in a completely static world. there are very few exceptions and even the best of the genre would be hard pressed to compare with any single player experience from the latest generation of games in terms of player impact on the world and believability of the world.

i think youre confusing how engrossing games actually were for your own emotional involvement in the story. its just as easy to get heavy into any game if you fucking let yourself, you arrogant closed-minded bastard. what matters is which games are the most rewarding. the only reward adventure games ever gave was story. some other genres at least generally give you story AND game play.


Holy shit you need to relax. Have you ever heard of an opinion? You certainly have one.

I strongly disagree, I think you're exaggerating a bit. I have played plenty of single player games that were less than 15 hours. Yes, lots of games can last a really long time, but are they boring? Do the stories live up to their time? Or do they drag on a bit? Games today seem to drag quite a bit. I don't really feel that when I go back to visit classics for replay.

Here, I made an approximated list of some games as of recent. Not all of them are adventure based. This is because you made mention of 'single player games.' I will not debate that multiplayer games offer in excess of one hundred hours easily, if they're enjoyable.

Dragon Age (2009) - At 40 hours, have heard it can go up to 50 or 60 hours. I would say it's fairly easy and I'm taking my time to enjoy it fully. I don't think I will replay it though. The only challenge is strategy on the battlefield.
Brutal Legend (2009) - 6-8 hours. This was one of the quickest games I've ever played. If this is any indication of future games, I will be sadly disappointed.
Demon's Souls (2009) - Easily 100 hours. Extremely challenging action game.
Dead Space (2008) - About 12 hours.
Oblivion (2007) - 100 or more hours.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (2007) - 25 hours, maybe. I spread it out over a short time.
Half Life Episode 1+2 - Total of around 12 hours. With portal, it was about 16. I did ep1 in 4-5 hours, ep2 in about 8. Portal took only a few hours, but was the most challenging puzzle game I've played since pre-2000 times.
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (2006) - 12-15 hours.
Deus Ex: ible War (2004) - I would say it took me 40 hours.

Older games:
Deus Ex (2000) - upwards of 80 hours if you do absolutely everything, probably took me a good 60 hours in my first go, 80 or so in my second.
The Longest Journey (1999) - Probably around 80ish hours, maybe more.
Planescape Torment (1999) - upwards of 60 hours before I built my new computer. I did not finish, nor was I even close.
Grim Fandango (1998) - At least 50 hours.
Half Life (1998) - I believe this only took me 10 hours, I did only play it first in the early aught's.
Chrono Trigger (1995) - 30 Hours.
Terranigma (1995) - 30 or so hours.
Myst (1993) - Unbelievably long, neighboring months in length to do everything. This is one of the few games where the story was compelling enough to do some of the mindless gameplay. I never finished this game completely, no matter how many times I played.
FF4 (1991) - I first played this in 2000, maybe late 90s. Every play through takes about 40 hours.

I'm not going to look up dates or anything, but RTS from the days of yore have lasted me in excess of 100 hours, I'm sure. Oh, yes, both Max Payne's were about 15-20 hours each as well.

All in all, the most prominent games in my experience, in recent history, have been a mixture of short and long, whereas in the past, I find greater than 20 hours in length all around, the only exception being HL, but I didn't play that until 2003 or 2004, so I would probably still feel that was late in the game.

I'm not saying these games were bad, in fact, everything I've listed was very good. I'm just saying, that in my experience, games have become much shorter because people either do not want to, or don't care if they spend a long time on it. Maybe I'm the only one.

I'm also talking about the intellectual level of game play, story and ; in both individual senses and how they mingle together. Are you really going to tell me that games today, are more intellectually challenging than games from before? Most of the games I've played as of recent feel as if they've been geared for ease of use, rather than game play. Deus Ex's legacy would be a shining example of that. Deus Ex 1 had a heavily interactive interface, but that was one of the redeeming qualities of the game. Four years later, during it's sequel, I felt that if I had a gamepad I might feel more at home. If anything, they had shortened it and "dumbed" it down; presumably so I wouldn't be confused again by it's predecessors cumbersome interface which totally ruined the game play (I can be fairly sarcastic, can't I?) Patterns are evident and puzzles are weak. I can only use Dragon Age and Oblivion as recent, but I do not remember a time where I was nearly as challenged as I was by other games.

I don't think that Myst, Blade Runner, The Longest Journey or Dreamfall were exceptionally humerous. In fact they were serious games. I don't see your claim that

I can tell you however, that as I've played Dragon Age, I have had very little need to do any puzzles. I find that if I want to rid the world of baddies, I end up killing everything instead of figuring things out. I find that today, there is more "get key, open door" than there was when I was playing The Longest Journey, or SNES classics.

Just because action-based games, such as MGS, have you playing the role of a fully controllable character does not mean that adventure games lacked interaction or dynamic gameplay. In both Blade Runner and Grim Fandango, which I mentioned earlier, you have the capability to interact on a fairly solid level. While these games are mostly a static story, much like every other game, the difference is what kind of interaction takes place. Just because there's little action-packed gameplay doesn't mean it isn't there.

Every adventure game I have ever played, has most definitely lasted a very long time and the storyline never grew dull. I was challenged often to use my mind, whilst being entertained, to interact with the storyline and it's and characters. With modern action games, I may be "living the story," but with an adventure game, I could watch the story unfold and for some people, that's better entertainment as opposed to shooting, maiming or killing <insert ethnicity/religion/cult/group/etc.>.

All in all, it's a method of preference, and I personally believe that my original statement, that a back to the future game (and it would have plenty of action) could be pretty interesting and fun; if it stayed true to the original feel of the story. I'm sure you may find that third or first person driving of a DeLorean time machine, while being chased by Libyan terrorists boring, but I would have to disagree.

Also, if you're going to insist on name-calling and general douchebaggery, you would be the definition of arrogant, close minded and a bastard, not I. I feel I've been pretty open minded in this discussion, and I have made some points I feel hold weight. I haven't really gone off on you as you have on me, so I'm not sure where your hostility is coming from but it's certainly not helping me take you seriously. I am extremely open minded in this sense, I find both action-packed video games and movies, just as enjoyable as adventure-based.
__________________
MooK - <3 Website Architecture.
Synth3t1c owes me $20 via PayPal.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM MooK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#25  

el aye
you'd you you do
 
el aye's Avatar
 
Well this thread certainly took an odd turn.

I only really feel like commenting on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob
it's almost impossible to find a single player game that doesnt offer over 25 hours on the first play. it's easy to find single player games that offer 300+ hours

This quote is absurd and clearly demonstrates your lack of support in your argument. "Impossible" to find a single player game with less than 25 hours of gameplay on one playthrough? I don't think I've played a single player game in the last five years where that was the case, granted I have avoided games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:05 PM el aye is offline  
Reply With Quote
#26  

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike
 
chuckybob's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooK View Post
*snip*
Also, if you're going to insist on name-calling and general douchebaggery, you would be the definition of arrogant, close minded and a bastard, not I. I feel I've been pretty open minded in this discussion, and I have made some points I feel hold weight. I haven't really gone off on you as you have on me, so I'm not sure where your hostility is coming from but it's certainly not helping me take you seriously. I am extremely open minded in this sense, I find both action-packed video games and movies, just as enjoyable as adventure-based.

i apologize for that, im just real fucking sick of people mourning the death of adventure games and talking about how much better games were back when we only had 16 colors and 12 pixels per screen. i love an adventure game with a good story, especially the longest journey. but the genre died because the game play sucked. what sells good, is good. marketing can make a single title succeed or fail, but it can't keep a genre or a franchise afloat. only game play can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el aye View Post
This quote is absurd and clearly demonstrates your lack of support in your argument. "Impossible" to find a single player game with less than 25 hours of gameplay on one playthrough? I don't think I've played a single player game in the last five years where that was the case, granted I have avoided games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

what games have you been playing? the last single player game that i played in full and got less than 25 hours out of was half-life 2. other than the TMNT game, i cant think of any in the last few years that i mightve gotten less out of.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:35 PM chuckybob is offline  
Reply With Quote
#27  

sct
I know what it takes to be cool.
 
sct's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
what games have you been playing? the last single player game that i played in full and got less than 25 hours out of was half-life 2. other than the TMNT game, i cant think of any in the last few years that i mightve gotten less out of.
What games are you playing?
__________________
member of the caint crew negroes
http://gamers.genmay.com
GT: sctx
Old 11-23-2009, 08:19 PM sct is offline  
Reply With Quote
#28  

Regime|Life
The Silver Arrow
 
Regime|Life's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
what games have you been playing? the last single player game that i played in full and got less than 25 hours out of was half-life 2. other than the TMNT game, i cant think of any in the last few years that i mightve gotten less out of.

Hmm lets see:
COD 4: MW, COD 5, COD 4: MW2
GOW 1 and 2
Bioshock

This is just to name a few.
__________________
Mercedes-Benz Addict
Member of the Gen[M]ay Polska Club
Nikon DSLR Club - D70, D300
Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM Regime|Life is offline  
Reply With Quote
#29  

el aye
you'd you you do
 
el aye's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckybob View Post
what games have you been playing? the last single player game that i played in full and got less than 25 hours out of was half-life 2. other than the TMNT game, i cant think of any in the last few years that i mightve gotten less out of.

Off the top of my head that I've played in recent years:

Borderlands (closest to 25 hours, but still below on the first playthrough)
Bioshock (8 hours maybe)
Hitman 2 and Silent Assassin
Dead Space (10 hours)
CoD4 and MW2 (both under 7 hours)
Batman Arkham Asylum
Resident Evil 5
Gears of War 1/2
All 4 Halo games
Dead Rising
Far Cry
All of the Half Life games
Both Max Paynes
Zeno Clash
All of the Brothers in Arms
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy

Honestly the only game I can recall that took me over 25 hours is GTA4, and that was because I was mostly playing around and going on sprees rather than playing the missions.

I don't think I'm alone here in the general belief that single player games are getting shorter. It is the vast minority that lasts longer than 25 hours on the first playthrough.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:24 PM el aye is offline  
Reply With Quote
#30  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.