General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DreamWarrior

I think its time for a new car; what would [M] do?

Ugh, so I'm finally tired of my RX-8. I had the engine replaced a little over a year ago and now it's leaking oil because my oil lines have rusted out. This car is beginning to get way under my nerves and I think it's time to put it to pasture. I've been wanting something new for a while, and I have the money to do it, so...instead of just dumping more money into this stupid thing, I think I'm going to just take the plunge and go for a huge upgrade. I am budgeting around $80k.

I'm really liking the Porsche Cayman S; going tomorrow to finally test drive one with PDK and Sport Chrono to get a feel for it. I've also been thinking about the Audi RS5 (or save quite a bit of cash and go for a S5). I drove the S5 a while back when the wife's Q5 was in for service. It was OK, but...not thrilling enough for me to take it off the lot on the spot. I think the RS5 may do it, but that's really hard to come by for a test drive. I've also lusted over the R8 for a long time, but in my budget I'd have to move down to an 08'/'09 model with 20-30k miles. I'm not sure that's really worth it...I have a feeling that at that price point, I may as well put a few options into a new Cayman S, and I could even save a bit with a lightly used 2014 if I could find one optioned out in line with what I'd want. Finally, the new M4 has to be thrown in there. I'm not sure I love the way it looks, and I'm not the hugest BMW fanboi...but it does perform splendidly for what I'v been reading and has significantly more utility than the Porche.

Biggest problem is, all these cars are really different. The Audi R8 has a great interior and awesome performance, but it's going to be the most used and oldest and I'm not sure it's really worth it. I lust over it, but I wonder if I'll regret it. The Porche is probably my second choice, but it has no utility at all. So, then I can move up to the BMW, but optioned out it'll probably be at the top of my budget and may even entice me to extend it, and then I may regret not letting someone else take the depreciation hit, lol. Then there's the RS5, a great car, but probably the bottom of the barrel for performance. Not that it's a bad performer, but...everything else will wipe it up.

This will be my daily driver, but I drive under 30 miles a day, so given my daily commute is short the car will see most of its driving as fun outings and the occasional auto-x/track day. Utility is not too important to me, I can buy something cheap for that or use my wife's Q5. So it's really all about daily fun and maximizing my fun-to-budget ratio.

So my [M] brethren, what would you do?

TL;DR -- $80k budget; Porche Cayman S, Audi RS5 (or pretty used R8), BMW M4 -- thoughts? What about saving some cash and going for an S5 or even used M3? There are quite a few 2013 M3's in Fire Orange, a color I gravitate to, for around $70k.

edit: P.S. manual or auto doesn't matter, but to be honest, I've driven a manual for most my driving years and it's getting old. The newer dual-clutch transmissions are getting so good, I think I could make the switch.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

cayman S

Colonel Sanders

I'd honestly go with the R8.. although everything you listed are all very awesome cars no doubt. I wouldn't worry about how "used" an R8 is going to be (well, most of them anyway.) I'm guessing 90% are babied with full maintenance records etc. They're not exactly being bought by teenagers without a clue.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Colonel Sanders

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
I'd honestly go with the R8.. although everything you listed are all very awesome cars no doubt. I wouldn't worry about how "used" an R8 is going to be (well, most of them anyway.) I'm guessing 90% are babied with full maintenance records etc. They're not exactly being bought by teenagers without a clue.
I know, but the thing is, I worry that most of them end up not at an Audi dealership but at some random "exotic car depot" or "random auto sales house". It doesn't really inspire confidence, and even the ones that do end up at dealers are no longer certified. Anything that may be off-lease are in the $100k range still. So, it's a real risk getting something that is exotic and way out of warranty. Which is why I worry I'll regret it. Part of me thinks that if I'm really serious about the R8 I should just fix the stupid RX-8, save for six more months, and then I can buy an off-lease R8. But, I'm sort of an immediate gratification kind of guy, and I really wonder how much more I really want the R8 over something else in the lower price bracket.... Then again...if I get a slightly used Porche, it probably won't depreciate too much more in that six months given my driving...so...if I really want the R8 then...hummm, lol. The wife would probably kill me for trading cars that fast, lol!

edit: that exhaust does sound sick....

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

take a chance

I don't think it'll be that difficult to differentiate a basket case R8 from a well cared for one.

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
take a chance

I don't think it'll be that difficult to differentiate a basket case R8 from a well cared for one.
The other PITA is that there aren't many around me, so I'd have to find something out-of-state (quite a bit out of state).

Having said that, I suppose you've converted from the Porsche camp, lol?

edit: Ugh, really -- I can't believe I only spelled Porsche correctly once in the OP; . I'm a fucking .

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

eh... normally in this situation I'd be going "E92 M3!!!!" but I'm sorta "meh" about them now don't ask me why.

I feel like an M4 would be difficult to source... and the lousy exhaust noise would drive me up the wall

boxster or cayman are the smart, sensible choices but they're also not that special with an R8 in the mix.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

there've gotta be a metric fuckload of secondhand 911's being sold cheap

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

DreamWarrior

Quote:
eh... normally in this situation I'd be going "E92 M3!!!!" but I'm sorta "meh" about them now don't ask me why

I feel like an M4 would be difficult to source... and the lousy exhaust noise would drive me up the wall
My neighbor manages our local BMW dealer, I could probably work something out with him. But, like I said in the OP, I'm not a huge BMW fan. I don't know what it is about them. I know they perform awesome and all the magazines lick their taints, and for good reason, but....I dunno. Maybe it's just the number of soccer moms I see driving around their 328i's with their noses stuck squarely up in the air -- snobby wannabe well-to-do cunts the lot of them.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

snobby soccer mom cunts drive Cayennes

Faggots drive all different sorts of Audis

if it weren't for gay shitboxen none of these companies could stay afloat

DreamWarrior

Quote:
there've gotta be a metric fuckload of secondhand 911's being sold cheap
The 911 is another one of those cars that while I know how revered it is, and again for good reason, I just don't gravitate to it. One can call the styling iconic, and I'd see how that argument can be made, but I'd say it's boring and dated. "All look same", or at least similar enough. Honestly, the Cayman is the first Porsche that I've actually wanted, even though the 911 is something I've certainly respected for a long time.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

this will help you

www.autotempest.com