General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Vienge.
Vienge
FULL BLOWN WIENER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked
oh wow, thats kinda crazy. Sounds like I should probably remake.
it was my first character too and I didn't get a chance to set the specifics except empire and race.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Munky73770

I just saw this today.... Eve atmospheric flight test. Of course, this wont come out for another year or so I bet. But the possibilities with being able to fly around planets.....man its gonna fucking rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pg1dzAvL2M

hash browns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienge.
it was my first character too and I didn't get a chance to set the specifics except empire and race.
if you remake, go for a build starting with ____ frigate IV rather than a gunnery V character as a noob. going with gunnery V means you will have to train the racial frigate route during your first few days unless you don't mind waiting. It's a difference of around 100k SP vs 250k SP

Malakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatlord
You people involved in fleet warfare, what's the time committment? How much do you spend online, and what's typical of other members of your corp?

It seems like that's about the only way to go for me, and I don't really want to "invest" in a game again where I end up having to play eight hours a day just to have a good time.

Ok. There is no experience points in Eve, you train skills whether your online or not. So right there, as long as your sub is paid and you have a skill set training, you do not need to be online to be advancing.

Now that we are past that, there are many types of pvp in eve, and many different reasons for doing so. Huge fleet battles are, as stated, 90% preparation (both in time and tactics) and 10% actual battling, which even then in blob vs blob isn't crazy engaging. However, for me, we aren't just engaging in fleet battles for the fun of it, we are either weakening our enemies by destroying their holdings, or we are defending our own space.
The fun pvp is flying around in a small gang ganking your enemies (IMO). My corp/alliance has been prowling catch killing pirates or peeps with bad standings and anyone else posing a threat. That is fun pvp, lots of action and not too much waiting around, Those 3hrs waiting 10minutes fighting ops are for a reason. We built our own empire out here, we need to protect it. Small ganksquads into enemy terittory are the fun parts.
All those massive fleet battles you guys are seeing are almost always 1 group trying to invade anothers space, they aren't just meeting up & shooting at eachother for the fun of it.

IMO eve is the only MMO that doesn't require you to play mad hours. I play, usually, 2-3 hours a day, a few days a week. And, while not the best or most active member of my corp/alliance, when I am on I'm usually doing something cool and fun, and contributing to our empire in the south.

And even in your first 2 weeks, once u can fit a web, warp scram, and some rockets on a kestrel (or any other races frig) you can be pvping. Get in with an alliance whose goals and attitudes match your own, and you will be having fun WITH A PURPOSE (sorry pointless, ala wow, pvp bored me to death, oo i killed someone and got another HK yays!).
The best part of eve is the difficulty in creating things, what victory can gain, and the extreme amount failing can cause you to lose. Be it losing a ship you spent many millions buying and fitting out, or losing your 0.0 empire that thousands of people spent 2 years and trillions of isk building. The latter is what I do those boring op's for.
Impass/Feyth is our home and we defend it cause we have too. I don't like those huge cap ship lagfests much either (tho bs'ing on ts is always fun), but if we don't fight with all we have we can lose everything we've spent so long working towards.

If you just wanna pvp and don't care about politics, holding space, or alliances, you can pirate for profit to your hearts content, or just be a pain in the ass and blow stuff up. Eve has what your looking for if your willing to look. A small group of pirates could get lucky and hijack a small alliance convoy with T2 BPO's worth billions! Or a freighter filled with T2 equip, implants, and valuable minerals. Also remember, there's so much more to do in eve than just pvp, the number of paths a new player can take is dizzying (and your not restricted to more than one as well! You can be an industrialists who pvp's, a miner who also runs huge death star POS all over, or a trader who ends up leading huge pvp corporation).

The other thing I like about alliance pvp life is that often it's even more than just protecting your stuff, due to the politics and stuff your often truly pissed at the people your shooting at. Fighting in eve is totally realistic in that sense, often in battles a good portion of one side truly hates the other side, and simply wants to wipe them out for good. Hating your enemy for GOOD reason makes for fun battles.
For instance, G/Iron tried to invade and destroy ASCN awhile back. They did massive damage before we fought them back. When we went up north for a counterattack, there was more than just motivation, there was revenge and fury.

This is all IMO, and comes from the perspective I have experienced the game from.

Last edited by Malakai; 08-22-2006 at 07:36 PM..

Vienge.
Vienge
FULL BLOWN WIENER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hash browns
if you remake, go for a build starting with ____ frigate IV rather than a gunnery V character as a noob. going with gunnery V means you will have to train the racial frigate route during your first few days unless you don't mind waiting. It's a difference of around 100k SP vs 250k SP
I actually got an Archura char with frig iv but since I can only train one char at a time I have been sticking with my first.

goatlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakai
Ok. There is no experience points in Eve, you train skills whether your online or not. So right there, as long as your sub is paid and you have a skill set training, you do not need to be online to be advancing.

Now that we are past that, there are many types of pvp in eve, and many different reasons for doing so. Huge fleet battles are, as stated, 90% preparation (both in time and tactics) and 10% actual battling, which even then in blob vs blob isn't crazy engaging. However, for me, we aren't just engaging in fleet battles for the fun of it, we are either weakening our enemies by destroying their holdings, or we are defending our own space.
The fun pvp is flying around in a small gang ganking your enemies (IMO). My corp/alliance has been prowling catch killing pirates or peeps with bad standings and anyone else posing a threat. That is fun pvp, lots of action and not too much waiting around, Those 3hrs waiting 10minutes fighting ops are for a reason. We built our own empire out here, we need to protect it. Small ganksquads into enemy terittory are the fun parts.
All those massive fleet battles you guys are seeing are almost always 1 group trying to invade anothers space, they aren't just meeting up & shooting at eachother for the fun of it.

IMO eve is the only MMO that doesn't require you to play mad hours. I play, usually, 2-3 hours a day, a few days a week. And, while not the best or most active member of my corp/alliance, when I am on I'm usually doing something cool and fun, and contributing to our empire in the south.

And even in your first 2 weeks, once u can fit a web, warp scram, and some rockets on a kestrel (or any other races frig) you can be pvping. Get in with an alliance whose goals and attitudes match your own, and you will be having fun WITH A PURPOSE (sorry pointless, ala wow, pvp bored me to death, oo i killed someone and got another HK yays!).
The best part of eve is the difficulty in creating things, what victory can gain, and the extreme amount failing can cause you to lose. Be it losing a ship you spent many millions buying and fitting out, or losing your 0.0 empire that thousands of people spent 2 years and trillions of isk building. The latter is what I do those boring op's for.
Impass/Feyth is our home and we defend it cause we have too. I don't like those huge cap ship lagfests much either (tho bs'ing on ts is always fun), but if we don't fight with all we have we can lose everything we've spent so long working towards.

If you just wanna pvp and don't care about politics, holding space, or alliances, you can pirate for profit to your hearts content, or just be a pain in the ass and blow stuff up. Eve has what your looking for if your willing to look. A small group of pirates could get lucky and hijack a small alliance convoy with T2 BPO's worth billions! Or a freighter filled with T2 equip, implants, and valuable minerals. Also remember, there's so much more to do in eve than just pvp, the number of paths a new player can take is dizzying (and your not restricted to more than one as well! You can be an industrialists who pvp's, a miner who also runs huge death star POS all over, or a trader who ends up leading huge pvp corporation).

The other thing I like about alliance pvp life is that often it's even more than just protecting your stuff, due to the politics and stuff your often truly pissed at the people your shooting at. Fighting in eve is totally realistic in that sense, often in battles a good portion of one side truly hates the other side, and simply wants to wipe them out for good. Hating your enemy for GOOD reason makes for fun battles.
For instance, G/Iron tried to invade and destroy ASCN awhile back. They did massive damage before we fought them back. When we went up north for a counterattack, there was more than just motivation, there was revenge and fury.

This is all IMO, and comes from the perspective I have experienced the game from.
this is what I want to hear. It just seems a long way away... maybe hammering at missions is just crushing my soul.

I've been meaning to log in try to kill shit again; I've got to put together the frigate I bought after I got my last one blown up learning lessons about sentry guns.

-espionage-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky73770
I just saw this today.... Eve atmospheric flight test. Of course, this wont come out for another year or so I bet. But the possibilities with being able to fly around planets.....man its gonna fucking rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pg1dzAvL2M

holy shit that was fucking sick

Incubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by -espionage-
holy shit that was fucking sick

It looks cool, but I never quite understood what point planetary flight would have in the game. Systems are already big enough, we don't need multiple levels of a system for people to hide and safespot in. Also, what happens when your ship hits the ground? Do you just bounce off of it like you do a gate or station? That would be even more ridiculous than it looks when you hit one of those previously mentioned objects.

It's an interesting tech demo, but I think it would remove more from the game than it would add.

Xcobita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus
It's an interesting tech demo, but I think it would remove more from the game than it would add.
A good point, esspecially because that demo is old.

brouski

Did anyone here get caught up in this investment bank/Ponzi scam making the news sites?

WHO CAN WITHSTAND HIS COCK FUCKING??

Founding member of the Weird Al Fan Club

Malakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatlord
this is what I want to hear. It just seems a long way away... maybe hammering at missions is just crushing my soul.

I've been meaning to log in try to kill shit again; I've got to put together the frigate I bought after I got my last one blown up learning lessons about sentry guns.

The first 3 months are the hardest, your training your bare neccessities and the learning skills. I suggest getting lots of needed skills to 3 and no higher. Early on you want electronics 3-4, engineering 3-4, weapon upgrades 3-4, navigation and afterburner 3, gunnery/missles 3, cap skills to 3, armor/shield skills 3, ect. Once you get em all at 3 youll be flying better. Get racial frig to 4 (you shoulda started with it), then u can train racial cruiser 3-4, its guns to 3, and the gunnery/missle support skills u have access too to 3. I'd do this stuff before the long level 5 learning skill trainings, as they are quick and get you on more solid basic footing. You'll be able to fly a frig, cruiser, and battlecruiser fairly well with lots of support skills @3-4 in a relatively short time. I also advise propulsion jamming 3, warp drive op 3, and any other skills u need that u have access too @3 (other misc navigation, ect).

Then finish the learnings (takes awhile), but at least meanwhile you can do dmg in pvp and once your flying a battlecrusier with bc skill @3 you will be able to do level 3 missions in em. If your going caldari, a ferox with 5 heavy missles and a good passive shield tank can sleep though the dmg of most level 3's.

MadDog
NO FAT CHICKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakai
If your going caldari, a ferox with 5 heavy missles and a good passive shield tank can sleep though the dmg of most level 3's.
so fucking true

Immune
ROT IN FUCK, DOUCHE-PENIS

So apparently the head of the EIB (Eve Investment Bank) scammed the public and the corp out of almost 800billion ISK...

Munky73770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immune
So apparently the head of the EIB (Eve Investment Bank) scammed the public and the corp out of almost 800billion ISK...

Yeah, the dude took a screenie of his wallet...it had like 647 billion in it.

Munky73770

Just got off the test server, and TomB wtfpwnd me in his Jove ship (Eidolon)... I got fucking insta pwnd, as did the other 10 people that were in that battle arena. But it was just cool to see the Jove ships flying around though. I wish I had one...just like any other player does