General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Xayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
It is the consequences of insufficiency that drive people to produce sufficiency; if you take away the consequences, it just won't happen.

If the free market economy I seek is implemented, what do you think will happen to the war on drugs and all of the criminals it creates? That's right.

a) wrong. you're showing your age again. people don't work due to the consequences of not working, they work for the positive benefits of said work.

b) it will never be implemented, people don't trade pigs for grain anymore.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
a) wrong. you're showing your age again. people don't work due to the consequences of not working, they work for the positive benefits of said work.
The foregone positive benefits of work are the consequences of not working. You must have had gasoline for lunch.

Quote:
b) it will never be implemented, people don't trade pigs for grain anymore.
They will when all they're left with are pigs and grain.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
Yup, especially in Canada just before winter.
Yeah, same here in the colder northern states.

Quote:
Because nobody becomes self-sufficient if sufficiency is guaranteed to be handed out in any event. It is the consequences of insufficiency that drive people to produce sufficiency; if you take away the consequences, it just won't happen.
It's not guaranteed sufficiency unless they work for it as well. If someone teaches you how to fish you can't just sit on your ass and be sufficient because you possess the knowledge to fish. You actually need to get off your ass and do it in order to eat and be self sufficient.

The problem is that there is a perception that most of the homeless like living like they do. They do not but that is the reality of their situation and they are still going to try and survive even if that means trying to get spare change from people who feel sorry for them when they try to clean a car window with some dirty water and an old oily rag.

There is the same perception that people here on welfare are so comfy that they never want to leave. The reality is that the vast majority do leave fairly quickly and while on public assistance people subsist at a level that is far below that which a full time minimum wage job could even provide. They do not live a luxurious or easy life, they make do and get by however they can. If you show them a better way and give them a little help most of them will raise themselves up as much as they can.

Quote:
Unless of course there's opportunity to work in prison.
I don't know how profitable making license plates, cleaning up trash, and cutting fire trails really is. I've heard of some prisons selling furniture out of the woodshops and stuff like that but forcing someone to work just so you could take their salary sounds like something you would be against in another situation. I think the argument that free men can generate more profit than forced laborers in prison still stands.

Quote:
If the free market economy I seek is implemented, what do you think will happen to the war on drugs and all of the criminals it creates? That's right.
Depends, without the regulation necessary for a proper open recreational drug market we could end up right back where we were in the early 1900 with the patent medicine industry with shifty swindlers selling highly addictive products to unsuspecting people. With proper regulations I think we could realize massive savings, money in tax revenue, and a huge drop in crime as well as deprive international criminals of hundreds of billions of dollars in tax free revenue annually.

GlobusPrime

Zanta's the fucking man. People can't handle some fuckin' harmless, jacked, santa-claus looking dude that gets people pumped up during street festivals by doing pushups and screaming "YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!" Besides that, I'm almost positive the man has some sort of debilitating illness or something fucked up. He's a legit street character by my standards.

Hold your horse is.