General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ricky13

Traveling to Shenzhen for work. What should I do?

I'm going to Shenzhen for work for about 10 days. I'll have one weekend for travel and then of course all the weeknights.

Anyone out there have suggestions on what to see and where to go? Good places to eat? Good places to buy crazy chinese stuff? Sightseeing?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

IvoryLotus

yeah - don't get the chicken service.

I know my calculus! it says YOU+ME = US!!

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Go to Singapore or Macau or Japan.

Good place to eat? I dont know how much different than Guangzhou it is but I couldnt find anything edible during my time there. I just stashed yogurt and cereal from breakfast in my rooms fridge and ate that 3 times a day. It sucked but I lost 10lbs by the end of the trip.

Artesial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Go to Singapore or Macau or Japan.

Good place to eat? I dont know how much different than Guangzhou it is but I couldnt find anything edible during my time there. I just stashed yogurt and cereal from breakfast in my rooms fridge and ate that 3 times a day. It sucked but I lost 10lbs by the end of the trip.

Do you like seafood? If not well that would explain why.

Personally I would go visit some sushi places cause I love myself some sushi.

Stereodude

Don't believe that a asking for a massage will get you a massage.

Stereodude

Quote:
When I was in China (Suzhou) there were lots of western restaurants around. McDonalds, KFC, etc... Same thing in Taiwan and Japan.

Malne

find the DPS skis factory and snag me a pair or two

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
When I was in China (Suzhou) there were lots of western restaurants around. McDonalds, KFC, etc... Same thing in Taiwan and Japan.

Taiwan and Japan are both very tourist friendly and very modern. So no doubt about the fast food chains being there.

However, I doubt Suzhou had any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artesial View Post
Do you like seafood? If not well that would explain why.

Personally I would go visit some sushi places cause I love myself some sushi.

I love seafood but what they serve in mainland china is not seafood. Yes it comes from the sea but the way its prepared is completely disgusting to me. Some of the stuff looks like it was dredged from the bottom of the sea floor, rolled around in some sauce and warmed up. Nothing else. I just couldnt stomach it.

Mind you while I was there I did eat pigeon, alligator and snake. But anything that came out of the water I couldnt even look at.

Sushi places in China? I didnt see any.

Japan is obviously a different story, I love Sushi, but something tells their version of sushi will be radically different than what I get in the states and I wont be able to eat that either

Stereodude

Quote:
However, I doubt Suzhou had any of them.
They most certainly did. I ate at a few of them when I was there.
Quote:
Japan is obviously a different story, I love Sushi, but something tells their version of sushi will be radically different than what I get in the states and I wont be able to eat that either
You can eat it, but Sushi in Japan isn't all that good in my experience. It's always raw fish in a roll. At the place my coworker and I went they didn't have anything like California rolls or other rolls with cooked fish or more variety.

PS: McDonalds in Asia are a great places to eat because you can get these:

Fried (not baked) Apple Pies

hider

eat as much chinese food as you can, if you like chinese food

xtaC

Quote:
You can eat it, but Sushi in Japan isn't all that good in my experience. It's always raw fish in a roll. At the place my coworker and I went they didn't have anything like California rolls or other rolls with cooked fish or more variety.

PS: McDonalds in Asia are a great places to eat because you can get these:

Fried (not baked) Apple Pies

We get them in Aussie land too ....

Lurker

Quote:

Im surprised.

I remember when we first arrived in China and were waiting for our train to Guangzhou. I personally NEVER EVER eat at mcdonalds, but I was so hungry and because nothing else look edible it was like a diamond in the rough an oasis in the middle of the desert, a cool drink of water on a scorching summer day. It was truly beautiful.

Then it was a 5 day fast, at least for me, because we couldnt find another one.My friends were like garbage disposals, anything you put in gets consumed. When we got to Hong Kong we found an Italian restaurant and ordered burgers and pizza lol.

Quote:
I knew it.

MuffinMan8869

Quote:
that is because california rolls (look at the name dumbass) and other shit like that are american inventions. Sushi in japan is fuckin awesome. Sorry, if you like california rolls and stuff like that, but the real deal for sushi, is japan.

as for the OP get out and try some of the local food, it should be cheap and delicious. don't do the food stalls unless you have a strong stomach, but most restaurants should be good, and drink only bottled water.

look for anyplace that sells Schezwan(四川) food. Tis some of the best food in the world.

RUSeriosUCanotBSerios

Never been to Shenzhen, just Beijing and Shanghai. Wikitravel served me well - http://wikitravel.org/en/Shenzhen

Ask your office folk for recommendations.

matt01

Quote:

dude, seriously? i don't like sushi at all, but what you just said is like saying that you shouldn't drink wine in france because they don't have thunderbird.