General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
It runs!

With much patience and lube, I got the elephant to fuck the fly on this side, finally:


The whole motor is together:




Looks a little cramped, no?

Movie

I had the detonation sensor and the VTC solenoid connectors swapped in that, so it had no idle control at all (though it was pretty solid at 750 RPM), which is why the idle speed dips significantly after I wind it up.

Unfortunately, shortly after that, the battery died completely, and the starter crapped out. I'll be taking those two items down with me tomorrow, and hopefully drive it home. The fascia is back on, and the car is ready to roll.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 AM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#76  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

grjr
 
grjr's Avatar
 
nice job, looks like a hell of a lot of work. Take care of it and don't blow it up too soon
__________________
irc.slashnet.org #cartalk
Old 10-18-2009, 12:41 AM grjr is offline  
Reply With Quote
#77  

DrifterX27
 
movie link no workie?
__________________
1995 Performance Motorsports Built SC300 930hp Supra 6 speed
Old 10-18-2009, 01:44 AM DrifterX27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#78  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:16 AM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#79  

Colonel Sanders
 
Colonel Sanders's Avatar
 
Congrats! You must be happier than a pig in shit.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:33 AM Colonel Sanders is offline  
Reply With Quote
#80  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
Congrats! You must be happier than a pig in shit.

Thanks!

Second turn of the key, fired right up. (first one didn't do shit, cause my battery was toast)
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:44 AM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#81  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
So, it wasn't the starter or the battery that was the cause of the trouble. It was the positive lead to the starter. It was so corroded at the terminal that by the time 12V got to the starter, it was 7V.

Fucker pulls like a freight train, and I haven't even explored full boost yet. I'm scared I might not have enough tire under it now.

10 days under 7 months (it blew up on 3/28), and it's back on the road. Not bad for having to coordinate machine work and buying shit.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:26 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#82  

AtomicFire
 
AtomicFire's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
So, it wasn't the starter or the battery that was the cause of the trouble. It was the positive lead to the starter. It was so corroded at the terminal that by the time 12V got to the starter, it was 7V.

Fucker pulls like a freight train, and I haven't even explored full boost yet. I'm scared I might not have enough tire under it now.

10 days under 7 months (it blew up on 3/28), and it's back on the road. Not bad for having to coordinate machine work and buying shit.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 PM AtomicFire is offline  
Reply With Quote
#83  

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got
 
DopefishLives's Avatar
 
Nissan power wiring is garbage. I repaired mine on the 240sx twice before getting fed up and completely rewiring it.
__________________
Wow | So E92 | Very 335i | Much ///M Sport
Old 10-19-2009, 06:18 AM DopefishLives is offline  
Reply With Quote
#84  

DrifterX27
 
Jehannum you gotta give me a ride one day, I am in ABQ with you. I've seen you at the RSW meets sometimes.
__________________
1995 Performance Motorsports Built SC300 930hp Supra 6 speed
Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 AM DrifterX27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#85  

Dongboy
I am Kruzens Brother
 
Dongboy's Avatar
 
that engine bay makes me scared to work on cars

especially after seeing what you fit in it after taking it out
__________________
bitch faced lobster OMGOMGOMGOMG - g0rg0n describing me
My '80 VW diesel buildup thread - http://genmay.com/showthread.php?t=645277
Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 PM Dongboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#86  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Had the first dyno pulls post-break-in today at low boost (13 PSI). I data logged the whole thing, and will be analyzing and refining the tune. For today, it's pig rich up top (I pegged their rich-o-meter at 9:1 from about 5k on), and a little lean in the middle (it's at 16:1 from about 2.5k-3k RPM, yikes). All in all, I'm happy.

Observations:
1) If I lean the high end out to about 11:1, I can net 20-30HP.
2) these turbos pull hard straight to redline.
3) I'm maxing my MAF readings pretty badly. Solution.
4) I need to spend some more time trying to zero in on the right flow/latency values for the injectors to get that lean spot out of the middle.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


Daddy needs a boost controller.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:12 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#87  

The Spyder
 
The Spyder's Avatar
 
Private video. Fail
__________________
What?
Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 PM The Spyder is offline  
Reply With Quote
#88  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spyder View Post
Private video. Fail

Man, iMovie fucks that up every time. Fixed now.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:17 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#89  

lopoetve
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Had the first dyno pulls post-break-in today at low boost (13 PSI). I data logged the whole thing, and will be analyzing and refining the tune. For today, it's pig rich up top (I pegged their rich-o-meter at 9:1 from about 5k on), and a little lean in the middle (it's at 16:1 from about 2.5k-3k RPM, yikes). All in all, I'm happy.

Observations:
1) If I lean the high end out to about 11:1, I can net 20-30HP.
2) these turbos pull hard straight to redline.
3) I'm maxing my MAF readings pretty badly. Solution.
4) I need to spend some more time trying to zero in on the right flow/latency values for the injectors to get that lean spot out of the middle.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


Daddy needs a boost controller.

On the MAF readings: Anyone ever do Speed Density tunes on these? that's how all the LS1 folk compensate, since the GM MAF pretty much sucks balls.

edit: Sounds like a jet engine. Awesome
__________________
"You always gotta question the culinary excellence of food items which propel themselves out of cans"-LilMsCanBeRite
[M]otorcycle krew - 2011 Triumph Street Triple R. (Bwah?!?)
2013 ZL1 Camaro
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:53 PM lopoetve is offline  
Reply With Quote
#90  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.