General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
Wut?

The old ECU went down in a fit of electrical pique a few weeks ago - great smells were had by all.

The new one is a pull from another car, and it's got the stock ROM in it. The stock ROMs were simply soldered in by Nissan, so I need to pull the old ROM, and put a 28 pin DIP socket.

I suspect the ECU failure to be my own fault - the harness wire that goes to the relays that allow both ECU power and ignition coil power broke around May. I've been running with those relays wired hot since then (which means basically that the ECU hasn't turned off since May).

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post

I need to figure out what's wrong with the bastard before I put it back in. Also, need to get the new ECU socketed to accept the massive fuel injectors (since the car ate my stock ECU).
Take a picture of the guts of the ECU for me. Probably wouldn't be too hard to put in higher current MOSFETs for driving your bigger injectors.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Take a picture of the guts of the ECU for me. Probably wouldn't be too hard to put in higher current MOSFETs for driving your bigger injectors.

Why? I can just rewrite the ROM to adjust for the higher latency and larger flow using the existing drivers.

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Quote:
Why? I can just rewrite the ROM to adjust for the higher latency and larger flow using the existing drivers.
Oh, I was under the impression that injector current fried the ECU.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Oh, I was under the impression that injector current fried the ECU.

That is what I was angling towards, which confused me as I've never heard of that being a concern, EVER.

That explanation makes sense though -- I may be facing a similar fate with my ECU, though I hope not.

d114

Perhaps switch to a Megasquirt (or similar) system. They have fuel maps that you can download and tune to match your setup. You can get rid of all that un-necessary crap. Also they're easier to figure out than a nissan harness.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post
Perhaps switch to a Megasquirt (or similar) system. They have fuel maps that you can download and tune to match your setup. You can get rid of all that un-necessary crap. Also they're easier to figure out than a nissan harness.

When MS supports air conditioning, boost control, the Nissan CAS, dual wideband O2 control, and MPFI beyond 6 cylinders out of the box, I'll consider it.

Until then, this is labor intensive, but not all that hard, and I feel like I'm accomplishing something (where most usually just buy a new harness, I'm doing my best to improve the harness).

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:
When MS supports air conditioning, boost control, the Nissan CAS, dual wideband O2 control, and MPFI beyond 6 cylinders out of the box, I'll consider it.

Until then, this is labor intensive, but not all that hard, and I feel like I'm accomplishing something (where most usually just buy a new harness, I'm doing my best to improve the harness).

Kudos to you -- I ordered a spare harness to play with as the swap was done very badly on my car... loose wires hanging out, missed grounds and wire nuts instead of soldered joints or at least crimps. I'm actually surprised to see you having an issue with your harness as my experience with Nissan harnesses is that they are typically very hardy. Although given the cramped and heat intensive compartment it all resides in, I'd say it has done very well over such a long period of time.

I like the idea of MS and want to use it on the Scirocco eventually, but it is still missing some features I want before I consider it on anything else -- you outlined a good number of them. Does the VG have independent variable cam timing or was that not introduced until the VQ?

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

nistune or zemulator or just a burned chip with a MAF translator and a separate electronic controller for boost is pretty ghetto, but it does work

megasquirt can do electronic boost control, you don't need a cam angle sensor if you use wasted spark, it supports dual widebands, and you can use however many injectors you want since you batch fire them. on the other hand, nobody's megasquirt car ever runs right ever

DopefishLives

I'm assuming Jehannum is like me and does not like the idea of wasted-spark or batch fire. It isn't necessarily bad, but it is not ideal either. Why take a step back from what is accomplished in the OEM?

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
nistune or zemulator or just a burned chip with a MAF translator and a separate electronic controller for boost is pretty ghetto, but it does work

megasquirt can do electronic boost control, you don't need a cam angle sensor if you use wasted spark, it supports dual widebands, and you can use however many injectors you want since you batch fire them. on the other hand, nobody's megasquirt car ever runs right ever

From what I understand, the Nissan ECU operates pretty much the same as a megasquirt without the wideband feedback (and who is actually in closed-loop mode at WOT and full boost anyhow?). I give it the right latency and flow values for the injectors, and it'll read the desired AFR from the fuel table, the spark advance from the spark table, and the open/closed loop operation mode from that table (all on TPS vs. RPM). You can call it ghetto, but it's more or less the same as MS.

I'm not willing to give up coil on plug or MPFI just to get wideband feedback (and to get it only on one bank of cylinders).

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

How's the red croc looking? Can't believe this is the same thread I posted in like a year ago. Tangling with the wires eh?

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Quote:
From what I understand, the Nissan ECU operates pretty much the same as a megasquirt without the wideband feedback (and who is actually in closed-loop mode at WOT and full boost anyhow?). I give it the right latency and flow values for the injectors, and it'll read the desired AFR from the fuel table, the spark advance from the spark table, and the open/closed loop operation mode from that table (all on TPS vs. RPM). You can call it ghetto, but it's more or less the same as MS.

I'm not willing to give up coil on plug or MPFI just to get wideband feedback (and to get it only on one bank of cylinders).
every ECU ever works "pretty much the same". problem with the stock shit is having roms burned is a PITA compared to being able to retune with a laptop, and all the piggyback shit you have to run (maf translator, boost controller, whatever) gets messy. at least you're not running an SAFC yet.

and MS-II extra has dual wideband

Quote:
Dual Wide Band: You connect the second sensor to the ADC6 input with appropriate circuitry and it adjusts the PW2 output independently of PW1. You connect the second sensor to the JS5 hole (on a V3 main board) - X7 on a V2.2 main board, duplicating the R10, R11, C10 circuit from the v3.0 PCB in the proto grid area. There is only one calibration because it is assumed you are going to use the same type of sensor on each side. If there is a small difference, you can compensate for it in the separate AFR target tables.

Jehannum

Day 1: denuded the wiring, removed PRVR, AIV, EGR, and safety boost solenoids, and relocated the PTU.

Started removing sheathing and loose wires:

Finished with PTU relocated:

Tomorrow: integrate WBO2 harness (near 2nd branch of the main harness), EBC harness (from under dash up next to the MAF connector, the longest branch on the right), and R&R all ground and power lines to the ECU.

Possibly, I'll replace the shitty stock O2 sensor plugs, VTC plugs, and TPS plug with GM Weatherpak connectors (3 cavity and 2 cavity).

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
How's the red croc looking? Can't believe this is the same thread I posted in like a year ago. Tangling with the wires eh?

Holy fuck, I haven't seen you here since you went all off the deep end about inline 6s!

The red croc is in need of new paint, but that'll come after it's in fighting shape.