General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

4byTacoma

What to buy 08-09 lexus ls460 and 2016 tacoma or 2016 Camaro 2SS?

Haven't posted in a while but i hope to get others point of view. So I'm still driving my 02 tacoma with about 245k on the clock. It's time to upgrade to something nicer. When i saw the new camaro i immediately thought that it would be my next car. However my friend has a 2012 camaro and it consumes about a quart of oil every 3k miles (which gm calls normal ) and my cousin with an 03 Tahoe needs a new gauge cluster because none of his gauges work except the tach. It really makes me think twice about dropping 45k on a new camaro. So I'm thinking what else i could get that could be reliable and more fun than my lifted taco. I know the LS isn't going to be carving corners but I'm thinking since it literally has twice the horsepower of my truck that i could have some fun in it. What do you guys think? I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy for passing on a new camaro but i don't want to have a car that's going to be a pain 5 years down the road. My truck has been problem free except for a busted stainless steel braided brake line and radiator. It consumes half a quart of oil every 7500 miles. It's like something as reliable for my next car.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

get a corvette

4byTacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
get a corvette

Don't know if you're being serious or not but the car needs to be kid capable in order to carry my 3 year old son. We have a 2015 highlander for longer trips but I'd like the ability to take my wife and son of i want to.

I'm really wanting to hear gm "success stories" . I'd really like to get the camaro over the other two. I guess i just need some convincing that is the right move.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

IIRC the only active person here with a new-ish GM product is Typhoon... Got a CTS-V to replace his Mercedes, and is still in-warranty so it's mostly stock. I'm sure he'll check in any minute now.

Lopetove bought a Camero SS, but then sold it? He doesn't really post any more.

On the topic of "pony cars," Sup/maddog bought a 2015(?) Dolestang GT, maybe a year ago, is very happy with it but I don't think he even has 6k on the clock (might not be a fair representation of Furd reliability.)

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 02-01-2016 at 08:40 AM..

4byTacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
IIRC the only active person here with a new-ish GM product is Typhoon... Got a CTS-V to replace his Mercedes, and is still in-warranty so it's mostly stock. I'm sure he'll check in any minute now.

Lopetove bought a Camero SS, but then sold it? He doesn't really post any more.

On the topic of "pony cars," Sup/maddog bought a 2015(?) Dolestang GT, maybe a year ago, is very happy with it but I don't think he even has 6k on the clock (might not be a fair representation of Furd reliability.)

Thanks man. Hope typhoon can chip in. A V2 wagon with a 6 speed would be sweet but they're impossible to find.

Typhoon43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4byTacoma View Post
Thanks man. Hope typhoon can chip in. A V2 wagon with a 6 speed would be sweet but they're impossible to find.

Not impossible to find.. just impossible to find for 45K

So far my CTS-V has been fantastic. I have a sedan so it's "kid capable" if that's how you want to go. Quite of few of the forum members on ctsvowners.com have baby Recaros for their little ones.

You can easily get into a nice sedan for high 30's low 40's. You get to start off with 556 horsepower, magnetic-ride suspension, and the interior is top notch for an American car. My AMG had a little more "panache", but the Caddy is just tits man. Only caveats?

1) I average 16 mpg in it, and you're running Premium 100% of the time
2) Ga$ tank is only 16 Gallons, so you will be on a first name basis with every gas station owner in the surrounding area

Seriously though.. SUCH a great car. I've never liked the Wagon look, but what I do recognize is that they are going to be incredible investments down the road. We'll be seeing them in 20 years at Barrett-Jackson just killing it. M6, Recaro, Wagon in Frost White or Metallic Blue = Unicorn.

And long time, no see man. Hope things are well for ya. Need some more gearheads over here these days.

4byTacoma

Thanks for the input man. I'm actually willing to spend up to 55k on the right car but even at that price they're impossible to find. I actually have the recaro for my son already and it's super comfortable. He takes long naps in that seat vs the 30 minute naps he takes with the backup seat we have. I know the sedan is also badass but i just can't get passed the looks. It's the same reason i won't buy an SS just doesn't look right to me. But I'm glad your V has been good to you. Gives me comfort knowing that the newer Camaro will be reliable long term. I hope to be around more often. I just got a new job that should be less demanding on my time.

4byTacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
Not impossible to find.. just impossible to find for 45K

So far my CTS-V has been fantastic. I have a sedan so it's "kid capable" if that's how you want to go. Quite of few of the forum members on ctsvowners.com have baby Recaros for their little ones.

You can easily get into a nice sedan for high 30's low 40's. You get to start off with 556 horsepower, magnetic-ride suspension, and the interior is top notch for an American car. My AMG had a little more "panache", but the Caddy is just tits man. Only caveats?

1) I average 16 mpg in it, and you're running Premium 100% of the time
2) Ga$ tank is only 16 Gallons, so you will be on a first name basis with every gas station owner in the surrounding area

Seriously though.. SUCH a great car. I've never liked the Wagon look, but what I do recognize is that they are going to be incredible investments down the road. We'll be seeing them in 20 years at Barrett-Jackson just killing it. M6, Recaro, Wagon in Frost White or Metallic Blue = Unicorn.

And long time, no see man. Hope things are well for ya. Need some more gearheads over here these days.

What do you think about the new v sports? A 2015 in premium trim seems like something i could live with.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Have you driven a new camaro? It's a roiling blind spot with a shitty ride

aoeoae

how has the tacoma been? 4 or 6 cyl? manual or auto?

4byTacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeoae View Post
how has the tacoma been? 4 or 6 cyl? manual or auto?

It's a V6 double cab 4x4 auto. Besides the two issues i mentioned above its been awesome. It's my DD but it's been off road all over southern California from San Diego to Calico. It's lifted on donahoe racing coilovers, 33 inch tires, trail gear sliders and has tundra brakes to help with the extra weight. Love the truck. If i get a new tacoma I'd let my younger brother have it since he drives a POS Dodge Durango and has a kid on the way.

4byTacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
Have you driven a new camaro? It's a roiling blind spot with a shitty ride

Haven't driven the new one but I've driven my friends 2012. I didn't think that it had horrible visibility and I've read the new one is a bit better. Besides I'd get the 2ss with all the electronic aids. I'm not too concerned with the ride. I'd get MRC which i think would ride better than my tacoma with 650# coilover springs and D load rated tires.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4byTacoma View Post
Haven't driven the new one but I've driven my friends 2012. I didn't think that it had horrible visibility and I've read the new one is a bit better. Besides I'd get the 2ss with all the electronic aids. I'm not too concerned with the ride. I'd get MRC which i think would ride better than my tacoma with 650# coilover springs and D load rated tires.

my wife thought she wanted a camaro until she drove one and hated it. I wasn't with her but since then I rode in one of her employees' camaro and hated it. But then again, it's not marketed as a luxury car to begin with, so I guess that's not entirely fair

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

If you want super reliable, go for a heavily modified BMW, VW or Audi.

Seriously though, I wouldn't go for anything you mentioned, but if that's your narrowed list I'd get the '16 Maro SS. Can't see out of the damn thing, but the performance/handling is pretty great, and that seems to be one of GM's most reliable cars.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I
. Can't see out of the damn thing, ...s.

riding in a camaro actually made me laugh as it made me think of the driver's hatch of an M1 Abrams tank... just without the rest of the cool stuff of a tank. A camaro has roughly the visibility of looking through the periscopes of the M1

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.