General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
most radiators have just an inlet/outlet - what would prevent somebody from swapping in a mishimoto of equal size and running two (3?) towards the back? What's cooled by the coolant on these cars? When I put my car together I made simplicity the highest priority and in my quest I had eliminated a solid 3ft of random coolant hoses, easily.

The only places you could fit radiator(s) would be on the sides, and they'd be small. Probably the size of a box of triscuits. And you'd have to run a W2A or top mount intercooler. The engine bay is tight and hot enough as it is without a bunch of radiators up there.

Besides which, there's no penalty to performance having abnormally long coolant pipes. If anything its a benefit because its extra surface area to wick off heat.

It is a royal pain in the OMGOMGOMGOMG to flush and refill coolant though. Cyl 3 explodes if you have any bubbleage

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 09-11-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
most radiators have just an inlet/outlet - what would prevent somebody from swapping in a mishimoto of equal size and running two (3?) towards the back? What's cooled by the coolant on these cars? When I put my car together I made simplicity the highest priority and in my quest I had eliminated a solid 3ft of random coolant hoses, easily.

The short answer is that there isn't space for it in the engine bay. The vents you see on the side of the car are for the intercooler on the right, and part of the intake tract on the left. There isn't space to put a radiator in them, and my strong suspicion is that there isn't sufficient airflow for it, either.

Most of the coolant hoses are located inside the engine bay, and are related to the heater. You can, obviously, just remove most of them, and plug the barbs with something, but then the heater wouldn't work. Whether or not that's acceptable is up to you.

One thing that a few folks have experimented with is cutting out the floor of the trunk (aft of the engine bay), and mounting a radiator or intercooler in there, with a vent out the space between the taillights. Consensus always seemed to be that while it worked OK, it didn't work well enough to justify going to that much trouble.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

it is big enough for a FWD audi V8 drivetrain though

and he's giving it a fancy engine hatch to show it off...

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Turbo v8? Or NA?

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Just a stock 302hp Audi V8

I've heard that they're available in TT form in europe but I don't recall seeing any form of FI slapped on in his other pics...

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Just a stock 302hp Audi V8

I've heard that they're available in TT form in europe but I don't recall seeing any form of FI slapped on in his other pics...

Weaksauce. You could get pretty close to that kind of power with a 2GR, and you wouldn't need to hack the chassis up.

evildoer

I'm trying to sell my 91 turbo. Still runs strong with 130k miles.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300960804887

bought that

my intercooler is currently banging around in my rear quarter panel

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

hokay little more shopping

http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=286
boost + egt same style, I have a sweet ashtray replacement gauge cluster I picked up in a group buy like 5 years ago, these'll fit nicely.

http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=133
Don't have a hood prop at all, this is a fair compromise.

http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=74
and the parts I actually need in order to avoid a fiery death

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Weaksauce. You could get pretty close to that kind of power with a 2GR, and you wouldn't need to hack the chassis up.

I wouldn't have bothered myself.

Too many good toyota engines that fit well. It's such a small car that a V8 is rather pointless.

Has anyone done a 2jz mr2? THAT would be worth it... It would have to go in longways and use a non-toyota trans but it would be titties.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
I wouldn't have bothered myself.

Too many good toyota engines that fit well. It's such a small car that a V8 is rather pointless.

Has anyone done a 2jz mr2? THAT would be worth it... It would have to go in longways and use a non-toyota trans but it would be titties.

I think it's been attempted. To my knowledge, no one has ever succeeded in making one run.

That'd be stupid too, though. The 2JZ is really heavy, especially with all the additional weight of a twin turbo system. It would totally upset the balance of the car.

I've always wanted to see what it would be like to swap a hybrid electric drivetrain, out of say a Highlander, or RX400h into an MR2. Especially if you could tune the logic it uses to decide which motor to use, so it was more aggressive with the electric motors, that would be a really slick swap. Probably heavier than a 2JZ, but still really neat.

Code: [M]ayhem

welp. Menlo Park PD and CHP notified to be on lookout for illegal modified car.
Say bye bye Mistar Too and hello crusher

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

damnit I'm a can... bought an x brace without making sure it would go on properly... It's dark out but I think i FAAAAAAAAAAAACKED APPP

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

how much are you gonna spend on this car?

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
how much are you gonna spend on this car?

Idk... I haven't planned for any limit...