General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
But with electric formulas, to use your example, you can show yourself they are true when you do a lab experiment, and you're experimental results match with the theoretical results from the eqns.

And protons, neutrons, and electrons are made of smaller particles.

I think he's referring to Ohm's law, which in the laboratory will show it's limitations since it's highly idealized. It wont take into consideration changing resistances due to increasing temperature, for example.

This link can show a good example if you're curious.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_2/5.html
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 07-18-2004, 02:38 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#196  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

CrazyCanuck
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZainGray
What are you guys actually planning on doing after you're done with school? I couldn't think of any real decent, secure, well paying jobs in microbiology, so I changed majors (sadly..)

I plan to work at a mine for a few years, maybe getting an MBA part time, and then maybe going into the mech field somewhere, or staying in mines if I enjoy that.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:38 PM CrazyCanuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
#197  

DocSavage
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky
I think he's referring to Ohm's law, which in the laboratory will show it's limitations since it's highly idealized. It wont take into consideration changing resistances due to increasing temperature, for example.

This link can show a good example if you're curious.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_2/5.html
I like that. A perfect example of why you can't take everything at first glance. I had no idea temps affected Ohm's law. Thx for the link.

edit: after looking at the link it appears that Ohm's law still works, but the resistance is changing with temp which affects the other variables.

Last edited by DocSavage; 07-18-2004 at 03:06 PM..
Old 07-18-2004, 03:03 PM DocSavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
#198  

CrazyCanuck
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSavage
I like that. A perfect example of why you can't take everything at first glance. I had no idea temps affected Ohm's law. Thx for the link.

edit: after looking at the link it appears that Ohm's law still works, but the resistance is changing with temp which affects the other variables.

But that's not because scientists lied to you right? It's just because your teacher didn't tell you.

Like you said, Ohm's law can still be used, you just have to correct for temperature.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:15 PM CrazyCanuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
#199  

DocSavage
 
[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck]But that's not because scientists lied to you right? It's just because your teacher didn't tell you.QUOTE]

All i am saying is that you can't fully trust everything you see or are told. The information may be incorrect or incomplete. Or it can be fine, but you shouldn't just assume it is.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:25 PM DocSavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
#200  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSavage
I like that. A perfect example of why you can't take everything at first glance. I had no idea temps affected Ohm's law. Thx for the link.

edit: after looking at the link it appears that Ohm's law still works, but the resistance is changing with temp which affects the other variables.

Right, but you can't account for all changes with Ohm's law working only at room temperature. You must adjust for the changes in resistance in the wiring and in your load.

What the take home lesson here is you need to have an educated opinion, fully educated, or you're at the mercy of someone who knows better. I don't take everything at first glance. What I believe when it comes to science has been demonstrated experimentally and is supported. I don't just take things for granted. I find time dialation a confusing concept, but I have no choice but to accept it since I can observe it.

And you're very welcome for the link .
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 07-18-2004, 04:04 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#201  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
[QUOTE=DocSavage]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
But that's not because scientists lied to you right? It's just because your teacher didn't tell you.QUOTE]

All i am saying is that you can't fully trust everything you see or are told. The information may be incorrect or incomplete. Or it can be fine, but you shouldn't just assume it is.

You're right, you shouldn't. These things have experimental support. That's why we accept them. You're saying there are things you don't think make sense and therefore don't accept them. I don't think everything makes sense logically in modern physics at a glance, but when I dig deeper I begin to see how scientists are making their theories and what obeservations are supporting them. Hopefully you'll see the same things if you choose to further your scientific education.
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 07-18-2004, 04:06 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#202  

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!
 
Zangmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSavage
All i am saying is that you can't fully trust everything you see or are told. The information may be incorrect or incomplete. Or it can be fine, but you shouldn't just assume it is.


Right, however, in your quest to "challenge everything" you yourself have not thought to challenge your atheism.
I don't blindly follow a "religion" just as much as you don't blindly follow a science.

For some reason, you continue to contend that everybody is assuming something but you.
__________________
09 F9
Old 07-18-2004, 05:15 PM Zangmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#203  

DocSavage
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey
Right, however, in your quest to "challenge everything" you yourself have not thought to challenge your atheism.
I don't blindly follow a "religion" just as much as you don't blindly follow a science.

For some reason, you continue to contend that everybody is assuming something but you.
Actually I see your point. You think I am blindly following my beliefs just as I think you are. Unfortunately I doubt you will ever see that god is just as imaginary as Santa Claus, so there is no use trying to convince you. I suppose the complement pertains to me as well.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:21 PM DocSavage is offline  
Reply With Quote
#204  

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!
 
Zangmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSavage
Actually I see your point. You think I am blindly following my beliefs just as I think you are. Unfortunately I doubt you will ever see that god is just as imaginary as Santa Claus, so there is no use trying to convince you. I suppose the complement pertains to me as well.


I'm willing to accept that there is no God. In large part I think it's irrelevant.

God or no God, it doesn't really make a difference to us now does it? I define God as concentrated energy, which I beleive can exist. :shrug:
__________________
09 F9
Old 07-18-2004, 06:37 PM Zangmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#205  

chriszuma
 
so, did vinnie get KC'd or what? because he seems to have given up or gotten b7'd
Old 07-20-2004, 08:27 PM chriszuma is offline  
Reply With Quote
#206  

undertakr
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie
What possible goal could I achieve by doing anything else?

The people who have ever supported me or cared for what I have to say are no longer here. I'm tired of the 'how do I talk to a girl????' threads.

I'll not argue in the bonecloset out of respect for Vendetta. So some tard atheist in the pit works just fine for me.




Dude, vinnie, you had a supporter right here and you lost him. You put up a good show for so long, but I finally realize what Electric!sheep was saying. You are a complete troll, and in this thread have proven to be far worse than anyone you 'argued' against. You just completely isolated yourself and you don't even know it.
__________________
Signatures Eat Post Space v 3.0.
Member of Ug_---Trance Lovers Club
Member of Tentacle Brotherhood Alliance Club ::Rank:: Japanese Schoolgirl
Old 07-21-2004, 12:34 AM undertakr is offline  
Reply With Quote
#207  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.