General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheAgent
your doomsayer
filthy piece of shit

Financial Aid for students, what should be done?

I'm talking about school. College is pretty cheap, university is very expensive. Do you think the government should help out students with a little bit more money so they can actually consider schools they'd like to go to? For example, I'm in community college right now and would like to go one of the UC's (University of California). The problem is, if I live on campus (which I will have to do), it will be approx. $20,000 per year. Now, that's not including books. I know I can get loans, but that is major weight on my shoulders considering I won't be making a "high end" salary. I know this is a major issue in California (where I live). What do you guys think, should the federal/state government help us college/university students out just a little more.
././/''/./ /
/'/.../..../.....:^.\
('(.......... _/'...'/
\.................'...../
..\'...\.....\.....

ASHLEE SIMPSON > ALL YUO FGTS

FORMERLY YOUR DOOMSAYER

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mathlete
I'm the cheapest person on this planet, maybe the universe.

If you won't be making enough money even AFTER college to pay off the cost, I question why you would go in the first place.

jonaldomo

first off the difference between a college and a university is "...that a college just offers a collection of degrees in one specific area, while a university is a collection of colleges. When you go to a university you are going to be graduating from one of their colleges, such as the business college. As to which is better, it depends on what you want. Single colleges tend to be smaller while universities are bigger, but uni's are better known." (http://www.faqfarm.com/College/26302)

second, financial aid is based on tuition and your parents income, assuming you are the normal age, in my experience that is. i got a crapload more of financial aid from the small private college that i go to now compared to the few state universities i applied to.

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

There were plenty of scholarships out there for you.

All you had to do was apply.

I'm a typical white male and I got about $10,000 in scholarships from just writing a short essay here and there, and doing well in my math class.

I'm more than certain that if you put any effort into it, you could have had your college paid for you in full. I know two people getting full rides because they worked their asses off getting scholarships junior and senior year.

edplayer
no

Why do you have to live on campus?

and why do you even include the cost of your living? Unless you live with your parents or as someone's fucktoy, you would probably have to pay rent and food and misc anyways.

UCs are not expensive. Have you considered getting a job? And if you have one and still can't afford paying for school, maybe you should stay with your parents? Or work more hours.

I like the way financial aid is basically run right now. When times are good, its usually generous and fees are low and when they are not its like - "Get a job, punk!"

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninator
There were plenty of scholarships out there for you.

All you had to do was apply.

I'm a typical white male and I got about $10,000 in scholarships from just writing a short essay here and there, and doing well in my math class.

I'm more than certain that if you put any effort into it, you could have had your college paid for you in full. I know two people getting full rides because they worked their asses off getting scholarships junior and senior year.

Apply? That part is easy. There isnt an abundance of scholarships for WASP's ya know. I was given a pack of a few hundred scholarship applications that my college financial advisor provided for me. Of those, I qualified for ~5 of them.
Granted, I got $6000 in private scholarships in various forms, however, 6000$ isnt going to do much to dent the $35k/year cost of attending most places. Even the 10-15k/year i got from grades/test scores to most schools doesnt wuite cut it.

If you put effort into it, you can get some money, but in most cases, it isnt enough.

oh and 2 whole people? Wow that certainly indicates everyone will be able to.

go Coyotes!

Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete
If you won't be making enough money even AFTER college to pay off the cost, I question why you would go in the first place.

perhaps he wants to join the peace corps? maybe he wants to teach. Maybe he wants to do research? maybe he wants to be a pro bono lawyer. there are a million things that require college degrees that dont bring in mass amounts of money, and not everyone goes to college to make money.

Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer
Why do you have to live on campus?

and why do you even include the cost of your living? Unless you live with your parents or as someone's fucktoy, you would probably have to pay rent and food and misc anyways.

UCs are not expensive. Have you considered getting a job? And if you have one and still can't afford paying for school, maybe you should stay with your parents? Or work more hours.

I like the way financial aid is basically run right now. When times are good, its usually generous and fees are low and when they are not its like - "Get a job, punk!"

I wanna know what job will pay off 15 thousand dollars in college tuition, that allows time to actually do your schoolwork.

ViriiK
http://military.revenanteagle.org/

I probably qualify for about 20K worth of scholarships depending where I look..
- Proud Sponsor of the American Military-Industrial Complex

Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViriiK
I probably qualify for about 20K worth of scholarships depending where I look..

if you go to a 2 year college, get into Phi Theta Kappa, and you'll qualify for even more

ViriiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
if you go to a 2 year college, get into Phi Theta Kappa, and you'll qualify for even more
4 year University..

Nano

Quote:
4 year University..

Thus the "if"

edplayer
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
I wanna know what job will pay off 15 thousand dollars in college tuition, that allows time to actually do your schoolwork.

how the did you come up with 15K for college tuition?

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

ViriiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer
how the did you come up with 15K for college tuition?
Probably good GPA from High School? Unlike me where I slacked off and I regretted it..

edplayer
no

Quote:
Probably good GPA from High School? Unlike me where I slacked off and I regretted it..

what are you talking about?