General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tremorkill

A few random health and fitness questions

Ok, first question, or a concern really, is drinking the amount of water I'm supposed to without having to pee all day. If I try to drink a gallon of water in a day, I literally have to pee every 5-10 minutes all day. Why is this? Is there a way to not have to piss all goddamn day and drink the adequate amount of water?

Second question, is why is the elliptical (not sure if I'm spelling that right) so much easier than running? I can do an hour on the elliptical nonstop, but I can't run for more than about 8 minutes without feeling like I'm going to die. My heart rate and whatnot are the same for both activities, why is running so hard?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Uncle Fester

First, if you are really peeing every 5-10 minutes, you are drinking more than enough water. The gallon a day thing is just a general guideline.

As far as the elliptical, there is less resistance than in running, with the addition of momentum from the machine, it makes it easier to go longer.

Tremorkill

Ok another question, I'll just put it in this thread so I don't waste forum space.

What's the difference in training for mass and training for strength? I always thought they were the same thing, but a lot of people seem to clarify that there is a difference.

kovalev27

I'm not a trainer but I've lifting for 15 years and this works for me
so let me understand, by strength training you mean you are trying to for example get your bench press max from 250 lbls to 300 lbls in which case there are ways to do that without putting on excessive amounts of bulk... your gonna put on bulk no matter what unless you are one of those people that just doesn't put on bulk....generally when you are trying to build BULK you are eating large amounts of food 3000 to 5000 calories (normal is 2000) for a male with the 150-200 grams of protien per day (normal would be about 70) and trying to lift as much weight as possible...maxing out on every excersise eg if you know your bench max was 250 then you would lift 150 X10 185 X 8 200 X 6 225 X 4 250 X 1 and then blow out as many as you can back at 185 and as you progress these amounts will increase
training for purely STRENGTH would probably entail something like this: if your max bench is 250 then try to lift 80% of that which in this case is 200 lbls try lifting that for 6 reps 6 times..twice a week per muscle group...if you do that for about a month your bench max will rise also you only want to eat a bit more then normal 2500 - 3000 calories a day

and of course when you are trying to rip yourself up lower weights (about 60-70% of your max) lots of reps and a low-fat diet

kovalev27

bulk vs strength

I'm not a trainer but I've lifting for 15 years and this works for me
so let me understand, by strength training you mean you are trying to for example get your bench press max from 250 lbls to 300 lbls in which case there are ways to do that without putting on excessive amounts of bulk... your gonna put on bulk no matter what unless you are one of those people that just doesn't put on bulk....generally when you are trying to build BULK you are eating large amounts of food 3000 to 5000 calories (normal is 2000) for a male with the 150-200 grams of protien per day (normal would be about 70) and trying to lift as much weight as possible...maxing out on every excersise eg if you know your bench max was 250 then you would lift 150 X10 185 X 8 200 X 6 225 X 4 250 X 1 and then blow out as many as you can back at 185 and as you progress these amounts will increase
training for purely STRENGTH would probably entail something like this: if your max bench is 250 then try to lift 80% of that which in this case is 200 lbls try lifting that for 6 reps 6 times..twice a week per muscle group...if you do that for about a month your bench max will rise also you only want to eat a bit more then normal 2500 - 3000 calories a day

and of course when you are trying to rip yourself up lower weights (about 60-70% of your max) lots of reps and a low-fat diet

blue_monk
Kiddie Corral Material

protip: constant peeing is an early sign of diabetes.

Tremorkill

Yeah I know, I've gone to the doctor and they've tested for diabetes, and I don't have it.

Jmag034

when i drink 16 oz of water every hour ffrom 5-9 have to pee about every hour or so

but otherwise i pee when i wake up, around 11 oclock , around 4 o clock then a few times later in the night when im getting my h2o in

Uncle Fester

Funny you should ask about training for strength vs. size. T-Nation published an article about that very thing today, with input by some of the best in the weightlifting/powerlifting game.

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most...ndtable_part_1

vinnie
OH MY GOD!!! I LOVE SUCKING COCK!!!!!

You are drinking too much water if you urinating anywhere near that often. Several times clearish throughout the day indicates ideal consumption levels. They will differ massively depending on weather, clothing, activity level, fitness levels, weight, diet etc.

On a quiet rest day at home in winter, I will drink 2-3 litres. On a normal day in the middle east, going to the gym twice daily and working in +40C, 10-12 litres was average. Normal days here are 6-8 litres.

Excess water will flush electrolytes.

You have fitness issues if you cannot run for 8 minutes. The elliptical is not the magical exercise machine some people believe and the calorie consumption count is a very optimistic estimate. I find that the heart rate monitors on machines are very random as well, once I get a good sweat up the indicated rate has little bearing on reality. Learn to take your heart rate manually, the neck is easy enough to count for 15 seconds even while running.

Strength and size are relatively closely related. Strength training and powerlifting are also related, but not the same thing. A powerlifter trains to make the lifts, that is different to using the lifts to train. Lift heavy, you will get bigger, you will get stronger. For anyone below an elite level, there is no real difference.

You cannot work out your hydration, spend an hour on an elliptical and cannot run for 8 minutes. You are not elite. Focus on basic nutrition and exercise for now, worry about strength versus size later.
.......v.

sleepyness

Ellipticals are totally different from running on the track/outdoors. Before I could do a hour on the elliptical but on the track, I could only do 3 laps (for a 7 lap mile) before I was exhausted. Doing ellipticals doesn't equate to running endurance.

Ryuuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremorkill View Post
Yeah I know, I've gone to the doctor and they've tested for diabetes, and I don't have it.
Same here...but I have diabetic neuropathy but no diabetes

Peeing that often maybe just your body's way of dealing with excess water intake.
Do you pee more or less say when drinking fruit juices...say cranberry juice or soft drinks?
Myself drinking juices or soft drinks decreases the time I have to pee...drinking water I usually pee about 1-2 hours later...with juices of soft drinks...15-30 minutes later.