General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overconfidence View Post
Pain and nausea seem to be the two areas that marijuana targets - but please, link me.

If a doctor (let's think of it as being the perfect doctor - one that actually picks the right cure for the problem) determines that marijuana is the best course of action, so be it - but I'd think that a synthesized form of the drug (or concentrated or whatnot) would be healthier in that you wouldn't have to be exposed to smoke at the same time.

there is an interplay with side chems in the plant that pure THC does not duplicate. They still dont know what the interactions are.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

damo

morlock do you actually smoke the herb?

never pictured you as the type who does.

NegativeOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by at View Post
There is no victim of marijuana use. Therefore there is no reason for it to be illegal. /thread

Truth.

394ef49f1d019ccaf6caf070c403cb32

ensui67

I don't think marijuana should be legalized. Instead it should be decriminalized. If you were to legalize marijuana, then you may create the idea that it is not harmful. I believe it can be harmful to some people in the fact that it creates a lethargic state that can hinder a person's full potential. Someone who has an addictive personality can take the legalization of mj as an indication that it's ok to smoke to their heart's desire. Because of their personality they will do it so much that it can be detrimental since they do it so much that it becomes a problem. This is just one scenario of how it could be harmful. Although it is also true that it can also enhance someone's potential I don't believe that would be the case for the general populace. Nor do I believe that everyone would use mj respectfully. In a nation that has people abusing as many drugs out there as it is, it won't help to add one to the list of easily accessible ones.

If it's decriminalized it would be ok to smoke mj, but it wouldn't be as enticing as legalizing it. Decriminalizing it won't promote it as much by making it readily available, but it won't punish users either. There may be punishment for those who distribute it in masses but I don't believe jail time should be imposed either. Maybe something like major fines will do. For the personal user, the same laws that apply to alcohol use should apply to mj, such as no smoking and driving, smoking in public areas, stuff that could cause harm unto others.

It's true that people can still abuse it and makes their lives worse by doing it even with laws that make it criminal to use, however we shouldn't promote it's use by legalizing it either. At least with decriminalization we won't punish the innocent users. For people that distribute it, there will be risks that might carry severe financial penalties, but that's the nature of all businesses.

Medical marijuana should be ok and legal since it does have medicinal qualities, but regulated much like how prescription narcotics are regulated.

That's just the best solution I can think of so far.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensui67 View Post
If you were to legalize marijuana, then you may create the idea that it is not harmful.

So knives should just be decriminalized? Guns should just be decriminalized? Alcohol should just be decriminalized? Fatty foods should just be decriminalized? Water should just be decriminalized?
Law is not morality. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral. It is the same way with things that are harmful or not. Just because someone can hang themselves with a rope doesn't mean ropes shouldn't be legal.

ensui67

I didn't mean it in that sense. What I meant was that in the older public opinion marijuana use was thought to be harmful in that it would make you insane, a drug addict, the low life scum of the earth. There are many of those assumptions associated with the drug. However we now know that based on statistical observations this is not entirely true. Although these statistics disprove the old assumptions we should be cautious in how we approach the issue. I believe there is still a great deal of harm that can be dealt by this drug ranging from the most popular method of use which is the inhalation of burning plant material, which in itself is carcinogenic, to the behavioral changes of most chronic users. More often than not, the public is not well aware of ALL the beneficial and detrimental natures of any drug.

Let's say hypothetically marijuana is legalized tomorrow. It will be on the headlines of all the newspapers. Anyone who sees these headlines will be tempted to try marijuana by the end of the week. How many will actually take the care to sit down, understand the pharmacology of the drug and then decide if it's right for them? I'm going to assume most will be tempted to just light up since it's legal now. They just decided to smoke because it was legal and it made them feel good. Maybe they'll regret it, maybe they won't. The big question is, is it worth it?

In this case I agree law is not morality and but in this case the law reflects public opinion so far. The public opinion is not strong enough in favor of legalizing marijuana and there are tons of obstacles to the legalization of marijuana. How many more innocent users do we have to punish before legalization? Decriminalization seems more like a possibility for now and at least it won't punish users as severely for using the drug if they decide to do so.

I believe New York State laws of decriminalization of marijuana is step in the right direction. Possession of less than 25g is a fineable offense for first and second offenders. There is no jail time and no misdermeanor on your criminal record. It is a fine of $100.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
morlock do you actually smoke the herb?

never pictured you as the type who does.

Smoked it and ate it for 25 years. Tried ludes(no effect at all) LSD(I like it) Coke in various forms(can take it or leave it) Crystal meth(good drug to take if you intend to commit suicide by skydiving)

the only drug I have to worry about is Valium. Had it during surgery once. It Is God

Stopped a couple years ago. Took a job with security issues and agreed in my contract that I wont partake.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

http://dpa.convio.net/site/MessageVi...m30d4ah3.app5a
Thanks to Barney Frank and Ron Paul

Quote:
The first federal marijuana decriminalization bill in 25 years was just introduced in Congress. Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) introduced H.R. 5843, the “Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008,” which would decriminalize possession of marijuana for personal use. Please urge your representative to support this important legislation.

brakeonthroo

those are some pretty good reasons

-matt
umgd

Opajew
old grizzled jew

http://www.thesequitur.com/content/view/2421/43/

The American College of Physicians (ACP), the nation's second largest professional body of physicians, has declared its endorsement for the medicinal use of cannabis.

read the link for more info on the endorsement.

3-27-03.....

mark my words, the Athlon64 will be the GeForce FX of CPUs when it comes out. -the terabyte
mark my words - someday i will host a LAN this big.. sure, it'll be when im 35 or something, but i will.. -T

meyou
meu
#1 Cock Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baz View Post
Yay, let's just legalize all currently-illegal drugs. That way everyone can go driving around on the highway doped or drugged up and kill innocent by-standers.

Or what about going on a shooting spree because the guy was so drugged up he thought he was dreaming/having a nightmare/in a video game.

Or what happens when lawyers come back and say "he was under the influence of an inhibitor that kept him from making rational decisions. Therefore, it is not my client's fault, but the fault of the drug manufacturer for not making it aware to the public" and now the crook goes free.

I swear, you fucking druggies need to stop toking up and actually use what little brain cells you have left for a change.
at you thinking prohibition has any effect on dumbasses abusing drugs

Last edited by meu; 05-17-2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: :rofl:

GiantFaggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by meu View Post
at you thinking prohibition has any effect on dumbasses abusing drugs

if drugs were legalised then more people would be experimenting with them.

Schrodinger
I fucked Diarrhea Connoisseur and all I got was syphilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantFaggot View Post
if drugs were legalised then more people would be experimenting with them.
Fairly certain there's no studies or evidence that proves that point whatsoever.
.......v

GiantFaggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
Fairly certain there's no studies or evidence that proves that point whatsoever.

lol

THINK ABOUT IT

if mj was suddenly legal... use would skyrocket

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantFaggot View Post
lol

THINK ABOUT IT

if mj was suddenly legal... use would skyrocket

Why is that a bad thing?