General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytzombe View Post
See the thing is that once you are on welfare, it's hard to get off. My wife was a pre-school teacher, and really it was hard to see some people struggle because they would try to work, but it would set them back if they did. This one woman had three kids, one 2 the others 4 and 7. The 2 year old needed day-care and the state would pay a portion of it. The woman made like $12 an hour and would pay like $400 a month in child care. She got a raise to $15 an hour, so her responsible portion rose to like $750. So by making a little bit more, she got hit with an almost double co-pay. So really she is making less by making a little bit more. It is almost an incentive not to work..

That's why there needs to be reform. Police up the frauds and cheats, and give incentives to work to the ones while maybe not committing outright fraud, are content to just suck on the taxpayer's teet. I would be for a system that gave more money per month for a shorter time, like say a year's benefits given out for 6 months, during which if they find a job they don't get penalized for a few months so they can build up a safety cushion. Maybe by w/o the benefit amount they make on the job and then giving it to them all at once after the 6 months is up. Stuff like that.

I'm for a safety net, it just needs to be better administered in order to get maximum gain for every tax dollar spent. The way it is now it seems like it's almost designed to be a tar baby that once you're on it, it gives just enough to live on (poorly) but not enough to save up and get a vehicle for work, an apartment 1st month/security deposit, or a plain saftey net of $$ to fall on so that some $500 unexpected hit doesn't put your whole family out on the street.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

ytzombe
No place better than the Lone Star State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
That's why there needs to be reform. Police up the frauds and cheats, and give incentives to work to the ones while maybe not committing outright fraud, are content to just suck on the taxpayer's teet. I would be for a system that gave more money per month for a shorter time, like say a year's benefits given out for 6 months, during which if they find a job they don't get penalized for a few months so they can build up a safety cushion. Maybe by w/o the benefit amount they make on the job and then giving it to them all at once after the 6 months is up. Stuff like that.

I'm for a safety net, it just needs to be better administered in order to get maximum gain for every tax dollar spent. The way it is now it seems like it's almost designed to be a tar baby that once you're on it, it gives just enough to live on (poorly) but not enough to save up and get a vehicle for work, an apartment 1st month/security deposit, or a plain saftey net of $$ to fall on so that some $500 unexpected hit doesn't put your whole family out on the street.

In WA, you use to be able to claim that you lost your EBT card and get a new one pronto. Apparently people were selling the cards for cash and just get a new card every month. It took a news investigation to show that people were doing this for pretty much the lifetime for the program before the state intervened. Now you can only get 3 replacement cards. DSHS also was handing out rent assistance to a woman claiming to be renting from this guy who in fact was her husband. They lived in a beachfront million dollar house in Seattle. The DSHS investigators found nothing wrong with situation and paid $2k a month in rent assistance to this woman. It took a news investigation before anything was done about it.

I agree about providing a safety net, but first and foremost something needs to be done about the agency providing the assistance.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
That appears to all be California shit. Wouldn't surprise me if California is stupid enough to give out benefits that scale to an unlimited number of children that don't expire.

I've (sadly) been around a number of welfare moms in the DC area, and they all appear quite up on the law. Their cap was three, and magically they all stopped having kids after that.

Three is too high if you ask me, but at least you guys have a cap.

We have this:

augusttremulous
The Cat's Pajamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiber View Post
Why yes.. it is a good financial choice.

40 bucks, as opposed to the 100, 200, 300 dollar welfare check?

And someone gets to be employed to check the testing, plus administration?

WTF, is, the problem here?
generally, the test first checks for presence of specific families of drugs (cannabinoids, opioids, etc), and that test generally runs around $40 range. If they test positive, the test is reflexed and sent out for further testing, where they can determine the actual drug that is present. This is because prescription medications will often show up as a positive, but the only way to confirm that the positive is grin the medication and not other drugs is this confirmation testing. That test is far more expensive iirc.

Furthermore, this doesn't really create jobs. Lab techs and med techs already exist. Most major labs already do chain-of-custody drug-screens for pre-employment purposes. They already deal with this shit on a daily basis, this isn't exactly a novel job opportunity.
39TH STREET
rmtc<3
8=,,,,===D BlisterDick is the hawtness I desire :drool: