General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post

compression checked out fine, mechanic is also going to pop off the oil pan and look for flecks of metal or other oddities, he's also going to perform a leakdown test to make sure the motor is actually good.

I thought you just needed the wiring harness straightened out. Why is the engine out?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
wait, your JDM toyota motor is a yamaha?

Toyota used to partner with them, like they do with subaru now

the gte head is/was purdy good for the day

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Toyota used to partner with them, like they do with subaru now

the gte head is/was purdy good for the day

Most of the Toyota G type heads are designed, at least in part, by Yamaha. The 4A-G head is as well.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
I thought you just needed the wiring harness straightened out. Why is the engine out?

thats not my original motor thats the new longblock I just bought and will have installed in a few weeks hopefully

the wiring failure caused fuel to leak into the cylinders which hydrolocked the motor. The first mechanic didn't understand that the motor was hydrolocked, so he presumably sat there and clicked the starter for a very very long time. Then installed a second starter and sat there clicking it for even longer.

This *may* have burnt out some grounds which were replaced (or it was the AAA guy reversing his jumper box)

the gasoline in the cylinders washed the oil away, when the motor was eventually cranked over a few times the rings scraped against the cylinder walls because there was no lubrication = shiny oil.

Motor runs "decently" once its warmed up but it still sputters and shuts off randomly.

RazorWind

Quote:
thats not my original motor thats the new longblock I just bought and will have installed in a few weeks hopefully

the wiring failure caused fuel to leak into the cylinders which hydrolocked the motor. The first mechanic didn't understand that the motor was hydrolocked, so he presumably sat there and clicked the starter for a very very long time. Then installed a second starter and sat there clicking it for even longer.

This *may* have burnt out some grounds which were replaced (or it was the AAA guy reversing his jumper box)

the gasoline in the cylinders washed the oil away, when the motor was eventually cranked over a few times the rings scraped against the cylinder walls because there was no lubrication = shiny oil.

Motor runs "decently" once its warmed up but it still sputters and shuts off randomly.
And you think the problem is the rotating assembly?

Dude, just change the oil and fix the goddamn electrical issues. The rings ran without lubrication for less than 50 cycles. You wouldn't want to make a habit out of that, but it's totally not the end of the world if that happens once or twice, as long as the rods and valves aren't bent, and the head gasket is OK.

The sputtering and "decent" (I assume this means it has less power than it used to?) sounds like a vacuum leak, or maybe a broken wire at some sensor.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
And you think the problem is the rotating assembly?

Dude, just change the oil and fix the goddamn electrical issues. The rings ran without lubrication for less than 50 cycles. You wouldn't want to make a habit out of that, but it's totally not the end of the world if that happens once or twice, as long as the rods and valves aren't bent, and the head gasket is OK.

The sputtering and "decent" (I assume this means it has less power than it used to?) sounds like a vacuum leak, or maybe a broken wire at some sensor.

I dont think its the rotating assembly, and the electrical issues were resolved...

I think the cylinder walls got scored up

anywhere below 3000 RPM, especially on a cold startup it rattles and shakes like a broken washing machine. Above that and it actually feels mostly normal.

if you experienced it you would agree that it's fucked

I'm supposed to change the oil again next weekend and see how it is, but I don't have my hopes up.

and yeah now that you mention HG the temp has crept above halfway once or twice. Oil and coolant are clean though so its probably not actually failed

gribly

You bought a long block before inspecting the old one?

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

god I am so grateful I didn't get an MR2 with a blue interior

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
You bought a long block before inspecting the old one?

current motor has not had any testing done on it yet aside from seeing gasoline and metal in the oil so "kinda?"

RazorWind

Rattling and shaking = misfire, unless something is, like, horribly wrong.

Have you actually done a compression or leakdown test? That will tell you if the problem you're having is failed rings/bores. Based on your description, I'd say that's not what your problem is, but a compression test will tell you for sure, and is a damn sight cheaper than replacing the whole engine.

Other symptoms of worn out rings would be oil consumption and copious blue smoke, particularly on deceleration. Do you have any of these symptoms?

Can you post a video of it running, or something? I'd bet real money that your problem is a vacuum leak or ignition related misfire. Worn rings would have different symptoms from what you describe.

RazorWind

Quote:
god I am so grateful I didn't get an MR2 with a blue interior

I had one with the blue interior. It's actually not that bad if the car is blue. It's godawful with the white, though.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

I don't think its necessarily the rings that failed though

I'll take a vid

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

not really that enlightening :shrug:

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Plugs made a noticeable difference... Given, the motor is still hot but I look forward to seeing if it makes cold starts better

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Ordered a set of stock heat range platinum NGK's, fingers are crossed.

I got megafuck-craptastic Autolites because I figured the engine was toasty anyway but I am seriously encouraged by how much better it runs