General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
did you seriously just suggest that spark plugs will "finish this project off"???

you can't seriously believe that, can you?

not trying to be a dick but cmon man, it's bad enough that you would lie to us but don't lie to yourself.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 03-17-2014, 02:14 AM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#961  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

RazorWind
 
RazorWind's Avatar
 
Isn't the power fc a piggyback system? I don't think you can just get rid of both ECUs, and just run that.

I could be wrong though; never installed one.

Regardless, are you sure you should be installing something like that, if you can't troubleshoot an improperly gapped spark plug, and your "mechanic" missed a problem like that too?
__________________
90f54f9cfb4106d1ef0e6a82e53f14
Old 03-17-2014, 06:17 AM RazorWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
#962  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
did you seriously just suggest that spark plugs will "finish this project off"???

you can't seriously believe that, can you?

not trying to be a dick but cmon man, it's bad enough that you would lie to us but don't lie to yourself.

Well depends on your definition of "project" im just saying that i dont need a new motor for now
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#963  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Isn't the power fc a piggyback system? I don't think you can just get rid of both ECUs, and just run that.

I could be wrong though; never installed one.

Regardless, are you sure you should be installing something like that, if you can't troubleshoot an improperly gapped spark plug, and your "mechanic" missed a problem like that too?

Honest mistake. Im not mad at him..if he were a dick or a cheat up to this point of course id have a different outlook on this...

Who said I couldnt troubleshoot an improperly gapped plug? That's exactly what i fucking did yesterday
..

I just wanted to try changing my plugs and lucked out... I believed him when he said the plugs were fine as anybody would..
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#964  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
The power FC is a standalone ems, not piggyback and there is no reason to hang onto my stock ecu, smog or otherwise.
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#965  

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/
 
VanFanel's Avatar
 
Honestly - keep the longblock, slowly build it up, swap it in , fix wiring harness. Win.
__________________
Das Auto.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 AM VanFanel is offline  
Reply With Quote
#966  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Cold start this morning... It is NOT good...

I might just go ahead with the new motor
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#967  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Cold idle is basically the same as in the video i made, but i just took it around the block and it completely smoothed out runs better than the day i bought it... Im gonna have to talk to the mechanic and see what he thinks.. I dont want a car that sounds like a Duisenberg on cold starts but at the same time i dont want to be rushed into spending thousands
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#968  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
SA says that the plug could have been bent when the fuel got compressed... but he still should have noticed it
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#969  

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED
 
lollersk8s's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
I don't think its necessarily the rings that failed though

I'll take a vid

Dude..... how many PSI in each cylinder? I think there's a reason you haven't posted those numbers.

This is one of the worst cases of "guess and fail" I've ever seen.

If you have good compression, it's ignition/sensor stuff. If you don't, then you need new valve guides, or rings - pulling the head is your next step. Physically examine the walls once the head is off. If your mechanic has half a brain he can do all this in one day and tell you what the actual problem is.

Sounds like you're going to some shade-tree self taught messican'ts instead of a real shop with lifts, bays and certified mechanics
__________________
Originally Posted by she nice
i do drink but it's not as effective for immediate relief
Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM lollersk8s is offline  
Reply With Quote
#970  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Dude..... how many PSI in each cylinder? I think there's a reason you haven't posted those numbers.

This is one of the worst cases of "guess and fail" I've ever seen.

If you have good compression, it's ignition/sensor stuff. If you don't, then you need new valve guides, or rings - pulling the head is your next step. Physically examine the walls once the head is off. If your mechanic has half a brain he can do all this in one day and tell you what the actual problem is.

Sounds like you're going to some shade-tree self taught messican'ts instead of a real shop with lifts, bays and certified mechanics



compression test hasn't been run, I thought I already said that... What the fuck do you want from me? There isn't a steady stream of competent mechanics who know MR2's (or who would even be willing to touch this car) pouring out of the technical schools... I don't know why he didn't make time to run a compression test, but given that the motor is showing signs of life its certainly worth doing.
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#971  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
After going around the block earlier this morning I went for another drive. Got on it a bit, probably went a little above 6000 RPM, let off, then the motor shut off.
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 03-17-2014, 10:29 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#972  

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED
 
lollersk8s's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post


compression test hasn't been run, I thought I already said that... What the fuck do you want from me? There isn't a steady stream of competent mechanics who know MR2's (or who would even be willing to touch this car) pouring out of the technical schools... I don't know why he didn't make time to run a compression test, but given that the motor is showing signs of life its certainly worth doing.

then run a compression test It's step # 1, and something you can do yourself in the driveway. If you can't understand that, buy a single-owner camry and give up on car projects.

Anything else is a waste of time and money, coming out of your wallet. He's either totally incompetent or wants to jerk you around for billable hours while he does "diagnostics" using his crystal ball and psychic cats. What's the point of guessing days on end? You need spark, compression and fuel - rule out compression first, since it's the EASIEST to check, with no "maybes"

Go find the normal PSI range for that motor, and compare your readings, then go from there. Should have been done when you bought the car.
__________________
Originally Posted by she nice
i do drink but it's not as effective for immediate relief
Old 03-17-2014, 10:41 AM lollersk8s is offline  
Reply With Quote
#973  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Yeahhhhhhhhhh I have a compression tester hidden somewhere, I've done it before.
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#974  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Yeahhhhhhhhhh I have a compression tester hidden somewhere, I've done it before.

You've spent more on vaping shit in a day than a compression tester costs down at Vatozone.

Hell, you could order one off Amazon for $20, and then complain in the chatthread about the shipping
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:45 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#975  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.