General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Talenos
 
I've heard of many failed relationships. She probably will try to convert you at some point, kind of depends on how much she believes in it. Sort of like dating a religious person if you're not.
__________________
Talenos Productions - Indie Films for one and all
http://www.talenos.com
Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 AM Talenos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#16  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

MooK
 
MooK's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
This is definitely true.

The main thing is just be sensitive to her diet when you eat out and such, for instance, steak houses and BBQs are probably off the list of places for you and her to dine at. A lot of vegetarians are too nice to point it out when you pick a place with poor selection for them, there seems to be a stigma against doing so. A lot of people get offended by the idea of not eating meat for some reason so we tend not to bring it up. So just keep in your mind that you need to eat at places with good mutual selection.

A good rule of thumb is to consider the three best dishes at a given location, if meat is a key component of all three of those choices then it's not a good place for your vegetarian girlfriend to eat at. Sure, every place has salad (though some don't have salads without meat, confusingly) but when you it out you want to have a great meal, not just a salad.

Good alternatives include Indian food, other Asian cuisines, Italian. For fast food Taco Bell and BK have the best vegetarian options. Pizza is always a great choice.

Be willing to try her favorite dishes and foods, you might find something you like.

I'm a vegetarian (male.) The above is almost 100% spot on.

You can eat meat, it shouldn't bother her. However, if she's like me, the smell of cooking animal fat may be very problematic. I gag immediately on the smell of bacon cooking. Any pork cooking will cause me to get a bit nauseus. Other than that, I wouldn't care what my date ate, as long as they took into consideration that my life choice says that I don't eat meat.

So, in circumstances where I'm at a BBQ or steakhouse, I usually see if they have Spaghetti Marinara. In most cases, they won't use any meat product in that (actually they aren't supposed to, but sometimes I'll ask if the place is seedy.)

Italian Bistros that are primarily set on home-cooked meat-filled dishes, will usually have basil-pesto off the menu for vegetarians. At least in my experience, when you order basil-pesto it comes without any meat product and usually some sort of nut (I've had almond to pine nut, pine nut being the best...)

If you plan on cooking something, you'll do fine if you remember to read the ingredients on almost every item. You'd be suprised to find out how shocked people are to find out things like buttermilk aren't vegetarian due to the use of geletin, which is directly animal derived (as opposed to milk or eggs.)

A good website, which was recommended to me, is vegweb.com. Take into consideration that it's a primarily vegan site, so you can substitute fake-cheese for actual cheese (aslong as it has no rennet.)

Good places to go:
Indian (about 50% of their dishes are usually vegetarian and of that, some are even vegan. Also the easiest to make without animal products.)
Mexican
Italian
Greek
Asian (Thai, Japanese and Chinese are usually all vegetarian friendly. Korean may also be vegetarian friendly, but I've only been to a Korean restaurant once and forgot what I ordered.)

Middle Eastern food usually has animal products in it, you'll have to call and check before you go.

Places like: http://www.sweetlorraines.com/ are perfect.

When you make reservations, remember to ask if they have strict vegetarian dishes (which usually means no fish or eggs; as some vegetarians are actually pescatarians/pesco-vegetarians and will eat some seafood products (often thought of to be extremely healthy.))

Fast food is tricky. The only somewhat safe "fast-food" restauraunt. Mexican grills are usually vegetarian friendly, so you can always go with that.


Quote:
TACO BELL: If requested, Taco Bell will send a list of their menu items that are suitable for vegetarians. Under their lacto-ovo heading, they list the following: Pintos & Cheese, Bean Burrito, Bean Tostada, Mexican Rice, Seven Layer Burrito (no sour cream), Cheese, Gordita Shells, Creamy Jalapeno Sauce, Creamy Lime Sauce, Pepper Jack Sauce, Baja Sauce, Fiesta Salsa, Red Sauce, Hot/Mild/Fire Sauce, Green Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Guacamole, and Taco Shell. Under their vegan heading, they list: Bean Burrito (without cheese), Bean Tostada (without cheese), Mexican Rice (without cheese), Seven Layer Burrito (no sour cream, no cheese), Hot/Mild/Fire Sauce, Fiesta Salsa, Red Sauce, Soft Tortillas, Pizza Sauce, Green Sauce, Guacamole, and Taco Shell. Taco Bell used to have two different distributors for the Mexican Rice. They are no longer using the distributor which had milk derivatives in the rice. NOTE that the sour cream does contain gelatin, which is animal based.
Important to note that if you plan on going with pizza, your best bet is Papa Johns. I've heard horror stories of the use of domino's cheese and animal byproducts in most every other chain restaurant.

Quote:
PAPA JOHN'S: They state that neither their pizza dough nor sauce contains animal products. Their cheese is made with a biosynthesized enzyme called Chymax®. They are able to prepare meatless pizzas. Their pizza items are not fried. Their meatless pizzas are cooked in the same ovens as other non-vegetarian pizzas. Their Parmesan cheese shaker and cheese dipping sauce contain animal derived enzymes. Neither their thin crust nor original dough contains animal shortening or lard.
http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/fast.htm
http://www.vrg.org/index.htm

Hope that helps.

If she tries to convert you, back off immediately. Any vegetarian who tries hard to convert someone is a problem in my book. I may only cook vegetarian meals, but I will not say "you should really eat no meat blah blah blah." That shit is the most annoying crap ever and people like that need to let go and get a grip. Your life choice is your life choice.

Forgot to add, there's a lot of great cooking vegetarian books (I have one strictly for mexican food and I have a few that do a lot of different dishes.)

Edit <insertnumber>: He's right on the fact that we won't make a fuss on where we vegetarians go. If we're choosing, we'll make sure it has vegetarian alternatives... but if someone else is choosing (and we aren't out to convert everyone) we're not going to make a scene saying it's not vegetarian safe.
__________________
MooK - <3 Website Architecture.
Synth3t1c owes me $20 via PayPal.

Last edited by MooK; 07-12-2008 at 11:13 AM..
Old 07-12-2008, 11:06 AM MooK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#17  

MachinegunHead
 
as the other vegos have said, we can fend for ourselves pretty well. I have no idea why you are treating it as if it were some sort of disability. MooK and bingstudent have said pretty much everything that needs to be said. Dating someone who is vegetarian isn't really a big deal unless you spend 50% of your time at barbecues or if they are pushy with their beliefs/morals.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:22 PM MachinegunHead is offline  
Reply With Quote
#18  

theNoid
 
theNoid's Avatar
 
Every guy I've ever known who dated a vegetarian, became one.. for her. It was pathetic. If you move ahead with this, atleast stay true to yourself. This is no different then meeting a girl who says, "I don't sit on the couch." This should never mean you dont sit on the couch when she's around out of respect.

Thats ridiculous, eat meat around her as you would anyone else. Let her decide if thats whats comfortable for her. Do not let her limited lifestyle put strain on you, her choice to limit herself should be a decision that she is forced to deal with ... not you. Do not let her spin it.

edit. Nothing wrong with being a vegetarion or vegan, but there is wrong is changing for someone or rather appeasing to their lifestyle and hiding behind the 'respect' bs.
__________________
855d05149c8915538dbad94c796751cc
Old 07-13-2008, 12:43 AM theNoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#19  

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post
Every guy I've ever known who dated a vegetarian, became one.. for her. It was pathetic. If you move ahead with this, atleast stay true to yourself. This is no different then meeting a girl who says, "I don't sit on the couch." This should never mean you dont sit on the couch when she's around out of respect.

Thats ridiculous, eat meat around her as you would anyone else. Let her decide if thats whats comfortable for her. Do not let her limited lifestyle put strain on you, her choice to limit herself should be a decision that she is forced to deal with ... not you. Do not let her spin it.

edit. Nothing wrong with being a vegetarion or vegan, but there is wrong is changing for someone or rather appeasing to their lifestyle and hiding behind the 'respect' bs.

An important part of relationships is compromise and meeting in the middle dude. Sometimes that requires changing your lifestyle. For instance, I stop womanizing and strip clubs, she stops eating meat. Get it?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:04 AM bingstudent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#20  

MachinegunHead
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
An important part of relationships is compromise and meeting in the middle dude. Sometimes that requires changing your lifestyle. For instance, I stop womanizing and strip clubs, she stops eating meat. Get it?

I agree with The Noid on this one. Compromise in relationships shouldn't affect your ethics and morals. I would hate if a girl I dated became vegetarian just for me. Such an event would not be a 'compromise for the sake of the relationship', but rather a realignment of her beliefs to better suit mine. You should reach your own conclusions on ethical issues, and not adopt those of your significant other.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:26 AM MachinegunHead is offline  
Reply With Quote
#21  

masamune
 
How is it going to work if you just ate and you try to kiss?
You're gonna taste like meat.

"I am meat, lol!"
Old 07-13-2008, 03:27 AM masamune is offline  
Reply With Quote
#22  

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinegunHead View Post
I agree with The Noid on this one. Compromise in relationships shouldn't affect your ethics and morals. I would hate if a girl I dated became vegetarian just for me. Such an event would not be a 'compromise for the sake of the relationship', but rather a realignment of her beliefs to better suit mine. You should reach your own conclusions on ethical issues, and not adopt those of your significant other.

So how is it any different from countless relationships where one partner changes religious beliefs to come into line with the other? It's a rather large adjustment of one's moral compass, yet unquestionably common and even assumed or expected in some instances. It makes the question of becoming a vegetarian to suit your partner pale in comparison, especially considering 99.99% of people have no reason they should eat animals. To me it's another example of the way that relationships assume compromise to work.

Our times have tempered us, too often we assume disagreement must be civil. However, in the ethical issues of vegetarianism those that disagree with me are pathologically cruel and no better than many of society's most despicable. If I stand by with these types, and make no effort to show them better ways, then we have no disagreement at all. I've given up on my own ethical conclusions about how we should treat non-human animals.

I think my example from above still works well here: I've stopped going to strip clubs and she's stopped eating animals because neither of us want to share a bed with someone so tempted by flesh.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:01 AM bingstudent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#23  

NIPPLES OF VENGEANCE
i'm a fullblown fag.
 
MooK are you a vegan by chance?

or are you just a very strict vegetarian , reason I'm asking is due to your mentioning of gelatin , which 95% I'd say of all vegetarians will eat unless they are infact vegans , mainly due to its presence in alot of deserts , custards , jello's , pannacottas and such like that.
__________________
cfefe79ac8a542abc65e32cf2a59617c [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:59 AM NIPPLES OF VENGEANCE is offline  
Reply With Quote
#24  

MachinegunHead
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
So how is it any different from countless relationships where one partner changes religious beliefs to come into line with the other? It's a rather large adjustment of one's moral compass, yet unquestionably common and even assumed or expected in some instances. It makes the question of becoming a vegetarian to suit your partner pale in comparison, especially considering 99.99% of people have no reason they should eat animals. To me it's another example of the way that relationships assume compromise to work.

Our times have tempered us, too often we assume disagreement must be civil. However, in the ethical issues of vegetarianism those that disagree with me are pathologically cruel and no better than many of society's most despicable. If I stand by with these types, and make no effort to show them better ways, then we have no disagreement at all. I've given up on my own ethical conclusions about how we should treat non-human animals.

I think my example from above still works well here: I've stopped going to strip clubs and she's stopped eating animals because neither of us want to share a bed with someone so tempted by flesh.

Mmm, I think this issue is completely subjective. I personally would never change my beliefs for the sake of a relationship, but I do understand why you and your significant other would do what you've done. So there isn't much point arguing it, as we'll both lose
Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 AM MachinegunHead is offline  
Reply With Quote
#25  

WhiteRhino270155
I love to touch little boy cox
 
I went threw this with my X-gf of 3 years. At first she said she wouldn't kiss me if i had eaten any meat or chicken. Once she realized i wasn't giving up meat for she caved and started kissing me after meals. THEN! she tried telling me i should not eat meat and see how it is. Personally, just stick to your normal lifestyle, dont let her hinder your Delicious steaks
Old 07-13-2008, 11:18 AM WhiteRhino270155 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#26  

MooK
 
MooK's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIPPLES OF VENGEANCE View Post
MooK are you a vegan by chance?

or are you just a very strict vegetarian , reason I'm asking is due to your mentioning of gelatin , which 95% I'd say of all vegetarians will eat unless they are infact vegans , mainly due to its presence in alot of deserts , custards , jello's , pannacottas and such like that.

I don't eat deserts. Period. I hate sweets most of the time and if I want to have something like carrot cake, sponge cakes are very easy to make without meat products.

I'm a vegetarian, the reason I don't eat gelatin is because it's made from parts of an animal. Any vegetarian that will eat gelatin is no true vegetarian; they just don't eat meat. It's the same thing as eating rennet from cheese.

In our futuristic society, =P, there's so many alternatives and synthetics available (and cheaper, less time consuming to get/create) that vegetarians are pretty much set on most anything.

I can go to any super market and pick up tofu, rennet-less cheese, gelatin-less sour cream or yogurt and many other ingredients.

If you decide to look online, there's tons of synthetic meats available (which I'm not really a fan of, besides one brand in particular.)

Not to stress my beliefs, but if people are still put off by vegetarians and their foods I strongly encourage you to try some Morningstar Farms products, in the frozen aisle. Besides allowing me to get my proteins, vitamins and essential nutrients in food-that-looks-like-food, they keep for years. You should never quit eating meat, if you don't want to, but just to try it out so you know both sides of the playing field. Not doing that and then criticising vegetarians is the same thing as us vegetarians criticising meat eaters. Totally . I would be eating meat today if it didn't cause me to throw it back up. I'm very sure I would be able to eat meat if my life depended on it.

Like the guy above me said, if she says "quit eating meat for a while, try it out" then get out immediately. It means she's not happy with you eating meat and is put off by that. However, you shouldn't be put off if when she cooks a meal, she makes it with synthetic meat or tofu/soy.

It's literally a whole new world. I can eat sausage with the best of them, patties, corndogs, bacon, hotdogs, burgers (I make my own now, made of morningstar products with bacon) chicken strips, chicken patties (great with rennetless moz and marinara,) etc.

The other day, I had a vegetarian meat-ball sub for dinner. Bought the meatballs from some frozen-company at Plum Market in Michigan.

I would only let a girl quit eating meat, if she truly wanted to quit eating meat. Not because she were doing it for me.

If you actually care to know, I never started eating meat. My mother was a vegetarian and knew how to be healthy while being one, back in the day (before all this crazy synthetic meat, I assume.) According to my parents (father was a red-blooded meat eater,) when I was a child I took a bite of a hamburger and immediately spit it out. From then on, I refused to eat meat. I know for a fact that my mother never pushed her beliefs on me, because she herself wasn't that true of a vegetarian, in fact she went back to eating meat a few years after I was born.
__________________
MooK - <3 Website Architecture.
Synth3t1c owes me $20 via PayPal.

Last edited by MooK; 07-13-2008 at 11:41 AM..
Old 07-13-2008, 11:38 AM MooK is offline  
Reply With Quote
#27  

Horger
 
It kinda sucks. My girlfriend is a raw vegan and prefers to eat organic only most of the time. Almost never eats cooked food, except for chinese vegetables and such sometimes. Never really eats rice and stuff either. She just believes that humans' proper diet is straight fruits/veggies/greens.

The only drawback is that we really can't go out to eat anywhere because of it. It's kind of frustrating cause that's a major activity for most couples, and I love to eat. She doesn't care that I eat anything and everything, though. She'll also make me delicious nonveg food all the time If she did have a problem with it though, we probably wouldn't last too long. I wouldn't change my eating habits for her.

Gifts of fruits and veggies are usually nice for a vegetarian. pineapple smoothies forrealz.
__________________
8c0551c61b08f569450fd7b37b733635 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:18 PM Horger is offline  
Reply With Quote
#28  

xagent
 
I;d dump. IMO, the inconvenience is not worth it. You will almost never be able to enjoy a good meal with her. Prepare for squabbles over dinner choices. Steak house? Seafood? BBQ? Split that Basil Chicken? Yea, out of the question. Homecooking? Chances are you won't like the majority of food she cooks, and the food you'll tend to cook at home, she won't eat.

Also be prepared for even more inconvenicnes and arguments when you travel and food choices are limited. She'll end up getting a salad or some vegetarian item on the menu (which is usually the shittiest), and either feel guilty eating a whole satisfying meal, or have to listen to her complaining, or drive around looking for a vegan/vegetarian friendly place.
__________________
"We're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good" - Hillary Clinton
Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM xagent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#29  

Horger
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xagent View Post
I;d dump. IMO, the inconvenience is not worth it. You will almost never be able to enjoy a good meal with her. Prepare for squabbles over dinner choices. Steak house? Seafood? BBQ? Split that Basil Chicken? Yea, out of the question. Homecooking? Chances are you won't like the majority of food she cooks, and the food you'll tend to cook at home, she won't eat.

Also be prepared for even more inconvenicnes and arguments when you travel and food choices are limited. She'll end up getting a salad or some vegetarian item on the menu (which is usually the shittiest), and either feel guilty eating a whole satisfying meal, or have to listen to her complaining, or drive around looking for a vegan/vegetarian friendly place.


hm, I think you could be exaggerating a bit, or at least it's a nonissue in my case. She will gladly sit there with me in a restaurant if I'm eating, and i will go to the health food store with her sometimes if I'm around at the time. Most of the time if we're going anywhere she'll bring her own food anyway, or we'll go to a grocery store and pick something up. She's very used to not being able to find something she wants so its usually planned for. It's never argued over or anything like that.
__________________
8c0551c61b08f569450fd7b37b733635 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:39 PM Horger is offline  
Reply With Quote
#30  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.