General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Atma Weapon

Minor car damage - report to insurance or pay out of pocket?

Scraped my car against a concrete pillar in a parking garage:

http://imgur.com/hhaMM3A

I have two options in getting this taken care of:

1) Pay out of pocket - I got 8 quotes, most of which ranged from $1500-2000. One place, however, said they would do it for $680 without insurance getting involved.

2) Get insurance involved. I can either tell them truth that it was my fault and have my rates raised or tell them I came outside to find my car like this with no idea as to what happened. Seeing as how it wouldn't be my fault, this shouldn't have an affect on my rates. How likely would it be that they would send an adjuster? If so, would they be able to tell I was lying, leaving me at risk for insurance fraud?

When this happened I had a $1000 deductible so I didn't report it, I'm currently shopping around for a new insurance carrier and will be getting a $500 deductible, and obviously would wait at least a month before reporting this. There was one place I went to where the guy said going through insurance with a $500 deductible he could make it so I'd only pay $200 out of pocket.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

dont get insurance involved at all you might have a low deductible but you'll be paying out the ass in premiums for fcking ever... this is a no brainer man

"dont know how it happened" those adjusters are not retarded, they will be able to tell that you're lying from the nature of the damage.

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 01-15-2014 at 03:29 PM..

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

BORKED

BORKED

diy it save yourself thousands

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

That looks like the kind of damage you pay for yourself. Especially if you were at fault and there is no incident report for it.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
dont get insurance involved at all you might have a low deductible but you'll be paying out the ass in premiums for fcking ever... this is a no brainer man

"dont know how it happened" those adjusters are not retarded, they will be able to tell that you're lying from the nature of the damage.

idk i have a friend out in long island that scammed his insurance company hard and got a new car
he poured salt water into his car using buckets and blamed it on hurricane sandy

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Then the OP just needs to wait for a natural disaster to hit his region.. -_-

edplayer
no

how old r u?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atma Weapon View Post
When this happened I had a $1000 deductible so I didn't report it, I'm currently shopping around for a new insurance carrier and will be getting a $500 deductible, and obviously would wait at least a month before reporting this. There was one place I went to where the guy said going through insurance with a $500 deductible he could make it so I'd only pay $200 out of pocket.

did u consider that if you get a new insurance company that they would want to look at the car first?