General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Triple B

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
I bet they could sell a lot of TVs to enthusiasts if they just made a model with a really good panel, stripped all the smart garbage out, and added more inputs.I'd like to see one like that with proper forward facing speakers or even a build in soundbar.

i bet at least some companies have considered it but don't do because they think they will lose money

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Triple B

and if you want to do a tv in parts, go projector

2000 is going to get you in the low end of wants. So like a budget or possibly mid range 65". That can get you a good projector and screen to almost any size you want. What I posted above was for a 30 horizontal viewing angle. THX states the theoretical maximum horizontal view angle is 40. That would be a 105" screen

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
i bet at least some companies have considered it but don't do because they think they will lose money

I bet even if they did do it, they would fuck it up by charging you more for stripping out all the shit you never wanted in the first place.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Yeah, curved seems unnecessary with the possible viewing angles on modern screens. It seems like curving the screen like they do would actually reduce the possible viewing angle from the side. I'm not sure why it's even a thing other than as a gimmick.

It does reduce it... i drop by Frys and Best Buy every so often just to see what the latest and greatest looks like, that was my first thought when those came out - what about making the nearest field worse? It's kind of neat to be in the "sweet spot" in front of a large one, but truly just a showcase of the fact that they can do it imo. Also ads to the width in proportion to the size - if/when we get to 100" curved it would add like a foot and a half of depth

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
I bet they could sell a lot of TVs to enthusiasts if they just made a model with a really good panel, stripped all the smart garbage out, and added more inputs.I'd like to see one like that with proper forward facing speakers or even a build in soundbar. That would be far more useful than all that "smart" and interpolating 30-60FPS video up to 1200FPS.

i agree minus the speakers.

who in their right mind watches TV using the built in speakers?

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
and if you want to do a tv in parts, go projector

2000 is going to get you in the low end of wants. So like a budget or possibly mid range 65". That can get you a good projector and screen to almost any size you want. What I posted above was for a 30 horizontal viewing angle. THX states the theoretical maximum horizontal view angle is 40. That would be a 105" screen

projectors have a lot of limitations, which is why it's not a good choice for casual TV viewing. First off you need a special room. they are worse than dlp or plasma for light. Since the entire room is between the source and the viewing surface, literally ALL other light sources wash out/alter the image.

So for dedicated viewing in a dark room a projector is good. For a party where people move around and socialize while watching TV, it isn't. Or for watching TV during the day in a normal house that has windows - unless you want to be the weirdo with permadrawn heavy curtains 24/7.

usually people do both - they have a nice large flatscreen TV for every day, and a projector for parties and special events where many people are viewing. Larger screen isn't always better - for one individual you can easily control distance. As everyone knows sitting too far from a small screen or too close to a huge one is bad and uncomfortable. So there's that sweet range of perfection. You can hit that with a 60" sitting 8 feet away, or 100" sitting 20 feet away, or a 26" sitting at a desk.

i have a projector - i never really use it though. i plan to use it more in my room where I have a sloped ceiling. When i moved in I scraped the popcorn off and it's perfectly flat and white now. If i lay in bed it makes a perfect screen. I should post some pics when i do it. Ive already tried it without any permanent wiring and it works really well.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
i agree minus the speakers.

who in their right mind watches TV using the built in speakers?

that shit worked just fine back when speakers faced the right direction...

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
that shit worked just fine back when speakers faced the right direction...

worked right yes

sounded anywhere near as good as a decent pair of bookshelves? no

went completely to shit after TVs got thin and having even somewhat decent enclosure volume became impossible? yes

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

basically the best TV speakers today sound like one of the cheapest bookshelves you can buy

lol

just get an oculus rift

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Yeah, curved seems unnecessary with the possible viewing angles on modern screens. It seems like curving the screen like they do would actually reduce the possible viewing angle from the side. I'm not sure why it's even a thing other than as a gimmick.
It's there because the vast majority of people who buy huge ass screens don't actually have a lot of room to put them in. So, when you sit fucking 4' from a 78" screen you can't see it all unless the wrap it around you a little. At least, that's my take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
projectors have a lot of limitations, which is why it's not a good choice for casual TV viewing. First off you need a special room. they are worse than dlp or plasma for light. Since the entire room is between the source and the viewing surface, literally ALL other light sources wash out/alter the image.

So for dedicated viewing in a dark room a projector is good. For a party where people move around and socialize while watching TV, it isn't. Or for watching TV during the day in a normal house that has windows - unless you want to be the weirdo with permadrawn heavy curtains 24/7.

usually people do both - they have a nice large flatscreen TV for every day, and a projector for parties and special events where many people are viewing. Larger screen isn't always better - for one individual you can easily control distance. As everyone knows sitting too far from a small screen or too close to a huge one is bad and uncomfortable. So there's that sweet range of perfection. You can hit that with a 60" sitting 8 feet away, or 100" sitting 20 feet away, or a 26" sitting at a desk.

i have a projector - i never really use it though. i plan to use it more in my room where I have a sloped ceiling. When i moved in I scraped the popcorn off and it's perfectly flat and white now. If i lay in bed it makes a perfect screen. I should post some pics when i do it. Ive already tried it without any permanent wiring and it works really well.
I wonder with some of the newer very short throw projectors coming out if there's a possibility of DIY rear projection set. I'd take a really nice DLP projector and a self-made RP screen over a shit LCD if it were doable. Fuck, I'd build a fake wall in the front three feet of my room to do it just to keep the goddamn ugly ass projector off my ceiling. Unfortunately, it's a little hard to do an acoustically transparent RP and put the speakers behind it...for obvious reasons. Which would limit the size I could use to that minus the L/C/R channels, but....

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
It's there because the vast majority of people who buy huge ass screens don't actually have a lot of room to put them in. So, when you sit fucking 4' from a 78" screen you can't see it all unless the wrap it around you a little. At least, that's my take.

I wonder with some of the newer very short throw projectors coming out if there's a possibility of DIY rear projection set. I'd take a really nice DLP projector and a self-made RP screen over a shit LCD if it were doable. Fuck, I'd build a fake wall in the front three feet of my room to do it just to keep the goddamn ugly ass projector off my ceiling. Unfortunately, it's a little hard to do an acoustically transparent RP and put the speakers behind it...for obvious reasons. Which would limit the size I could use to that minus the L/C/R channels, but....

For rear projection i dont even know where you can get a screen that big or what you can use to make it out of. Also it would be a fair amount of wasted floor space.

i think i'd stick with the classics - TV for every day and projector for movie nights, all over the same sound system.