General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Blaze
I belong to the IMNobody clique.

yeah lets argue about a turn of phrase, thanks genmay.

Proud Member of the [M] Seattle Krewe

<3

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Artesial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
yeah lets argue about a turn of phrase, thanks genmay.

Come on, that's what makes people who are passionate about something so fun! At least we stopped after 5 posts.

Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artesial View Post
Come on, that's what makes people who are passionate about something so fun! At least we stopped after 5 posts.

Meh, if i wanted to hear a bunch of jackasses talk about shit that they dont understand i would have put this in genmay

<3

crumbaker

My favorites:

Bell's Hopslam for ipa's
Brooklyn black chocolate stout
Stones porters are really good
Delirium Tremens for something belgianish
Brooklyn's Monster ale for Barley wine

How anyone drinks old rasputin is beyond me and I've had it multiple times.. that beer is shit.

stevengreenwind

Unibroue

Artesial

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
My favorites:

Bell's Hopslam for ipa's
Brooklyn black chocolate stout
Stones porters are really good
Delirium Tremens for something belgianish
Brooklyn's Monster ale for Barley wine

How anyone drinks old rasputin is beyond me and I've had it multiple times.. that beer is shit.

Dunno, I love me some Old Rasputin, I can see where some people might not like it though.

Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artesial View Post
Dunno, I love me some Old Rasputin, I can see where some people might not like it though.

living in washington its on every shelf in every super market.

Its not bad... its just not good.

<3

Artesial

One Sam Adams I tried over the weekend was pretty good was the Norse Legend. Reminded me slightly of Unibroue Reserve 17, not as good as it but it had similar characteristics of the spicy/sweet.

Edit: Just remembered one of my favorite everyday stouts, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

So nobody likes Lagers?

My fave is Karl Straus Endless Summer. It's local too which is a bonus.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Most people don't know the difference - a lager isn't a "weak ale"

lagers are made with a bottom fermenting yeast at colder temperatures - hence a lot of breweries are simply incapable of it, especially smaller "kraft style" outfits. So they push the ales and don't talk about lagers. The average poser beer aficionado in turn assumes it's a lesser beer.

Stone for example, advertises a disdain for "fizzy yellow beers" but in reality can't actually make anything except their ales. I do like an ale here and there, mostly with food but nothing beats a good lager on a hot day. Especially if you're into some serious consumption.

Lagers have a lot of variety - choose one without corn or rice and it has plenty of flavor.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

For example:

IPA - it was designed to survive voyages to India. I'm not going to fucking India and i don't need a disgusting beer to wretch my mouth. Personally I hate IPA.

And I think a lot of you are forcing yourselves to like shit that really isn't that great.

crumbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
For example:

IPA - it was designed to survive voyages to India. I'm not going to fucking India and i don't need a disgusting beer to wretch my mouth. Personally I hate IPA.

And I think a lot of you are forcing yourselves to like shit that really isn't that great.

For me after about 3 drinks of an ipa the bitterness completely disappears, and it's replaced by(if it's a really good ipa) a floral or semi grapefruit taste combined with that great typical ale flavor and body. I don't know if it works the same way for everyone else though. I will say there's a lot of shit ipa's out there too.

I agree with you about lagers it's hard to find good ones, if you ever get a chance to try dortmunder gold by great lakes do it, it's a really good one.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Wonder if BevMo carries it.

Artesial

Quote:
For example:

That's like a child saying all beer tastes bad because it's bitter. Um yeah that's where the term "acquired taste" comes from. I didn't like scotch when I was 21 but now (6 years lager) I enjoy a nice glass towards the end of the night.

IPAs aren't for everybody but I'm certainly not forcing myself to drink 3 of them in a row. I don't like wine, I've tried about 25 kinds and I still prefer beer so I don't drink it, therefore I don't think I'm forcing myself to drink IPAs.

Last edited by Artesial; 10-31-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Artesial

Quote:
Most people don't know the difference - a lager isn't a "weak ale"

lagers are made with a bottom fermenting yeast at colder temperatures - hence a lot of breweries are simply incapable of it, especially smaller "kraft style" outfits. So they push the ales and don't talk about lagers. The average poser beer aficionado in turn assumes it's a lesser beer.

Stone for example, advertises a disdain for "fizzy yellow beers" but in reality can't actually make anything except their ales. I do like an ale here and there, mostly with food but nothing beats a good lager on a hot day. Especially if you're into some serious consumption.

Lagers have a lot of variety - choose one without corn or rice and it has plenty of flavor.

I know the difference believe me, I've read various books, studied beer making for months and brewed both, I just prefer the taste of ales over lagers just like how you prefer lagers over ales. Almost every lager I've tried makes me just think it's lacking in bitter/floral/strong flavors I want from an IPA or Stout. Different strokes for different folks as they say.