Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

gribly

oh, whoops. Thats what thought I typed…

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Just trying to be cool, that's all. Same reason people ruin a perfectly good car's handling by "standing" it, add HID headlights, or a panel air filter disguised as an intercooler so their car appears to be turbo with a front mount.

HID headlights actually make a noticeable difference in fuction though, if you install them correctly.

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
HID headlights actually make a noticeable difference in fuction though, if you install them correctly.

Regular headlights are good enough. It's done mostly just because it's a modification that can be had cheap, and people think it makes their vehicle look newer. A friend of mine installs these for people at his shop even though it's illegal, and 95% of his customers do it for the look.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

OEM-designed HID solutions are an improvement over the halogen headlamp. Some halogen designs are good enough and even edge on very good, but that doesn't mean there isn't better and when safety is a factor, good enough should not be the high-water mark *if* a better option is available that improves upon the factor of safety.

Aftermarket HID solutions are shit, HID retrofits are shit and HID-like halogen bulbs are shit. They reduce light output in the areas where it is needed and generate excessive light output in the areas no one really wants it and often are outside of the most-effective heat range for illumination compatible with the human eye. If you have halogen headlamps and the vehicle manufacturer does not offer an HID light system from the factory, keep the halogens. Halogens can be quite good with a healthy light system (power source, wiring, quality bulbs and housings).

I have factory HID's now and love them, just as I did on my A4, also good. My G8 had halogens that were fantastic! (Good engineering on GM-Australia and Valeo's part) ...and any dumbfucks that did HID-retrofits only reduced their G8's lighting ability, likely while pissing off opposing drivers. I had retrofits in my 240sx and in my CoupeGT and while the 240 wasn't too bad, it was many-times better once I replaced them with proper halogen bulbs. The CoupeGT had appalling lighting thanks to the retrofits... it was unsafe and I never understood why someone would want that. $300 later for some German housings that weren't modified and I was back to late-80's goodness, halogens and all.

gribly

Yes, I said nothing about factory HID's, but I don't think those should be allowed, either. I'm biased because I have incredible night vision, so oncoming traffic can sometimes be a nightmare. It's also my area, the way the roads are. My friend from California argued with me about this for the longest time and said HID's have never blinded him. He's lived here about two years now, and has completely changed his mind and rages at the idea of aftermarket HID's.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

I'm very sensitive to light, and oncoming lights are a bother, no matter the design. While OEM (at least modern ones with leveling control) lights bother me the least, every Puerto Rican with a Toyota Tercel (There are LOTS of these here) thinks they can make it an instant Lexus with a $60 set of eBay HID's and Altezzas. It is fucking horrible and I put my brights on at every one of them, which doesn't seem to make a difference, if anything it probably only serves to inflate their false-ego with the thought that, 'yea mang, my lights are mad bright yo.'

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
WHAT YOU SEE:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

WHAT OTHERS SEE:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post

Aftermarket HID solutions are shit,

You get what you pay for.

My ZKWs are better than many lower end OEM systems. For instance I like mine a lot more than my friend's brand new Lexus 200h, in both brightness and cutoff shape.

Quote:
Regular headlights are good enough. It's done mostly just because it's a modification that can be had cheap, and people think it makes their vehicle look newer. A friend of mine installs these for people at his shop even though it's illegal, and 95% of his customers do it for the look.

This is like saying 160 hp is good enough. It is, yes but it gets even better.

I will always have HIDs if can help it. The light goes where you need it, and a lot of it, and only where you need it. Uses less energy to make more useable light. Perfect. Then again I'm only speaking for actual housings from a reputable maker, not some chinkanese ebay setup.

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
You get what you pay for.

My ZKWs are better than many lower end OEM systems. For instance I like mine a lot more than my friend's brand new Lexus 200h, in both brightness and cutoff shape.

This is like saying 160 hp is good enough. It is, yes but it gets even better.

I will always have HIDs if can help it. The light goes where you need it, and a lot of it, and only where you need it. Uses less energy to make more useable light. Perfect. Then again I'm only speaking for actual housings from a reputable maker, not some chinkanese ebay setup.

My point is the extra light output is dangerous because it blinds people and can potentially cause an accident. Having more horsepower isn't a fair comparison. There are a lot of hills and bad roads here, and cars bouncing up and down with HID's is the same as having really bright strobe lights coming at you.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
My point is the extra light output is dangerous because it blinds people and can potentially cause an accident. Having more horsepower isn't a fair comparison. There are a lot of hills and bad roads here, and cars bouncing up and down with HID's is the same as having really bright strobe lights coming at you.

Eh I take it you haven't really driven a car with good HIDs

Maybe good handling is a better comparison - once you've driven a car that handles really well, you sort of miss it while driving a regular boat. Same with lights. I get a nice contrast whenever I drive my GF's '06 gallant. No HIDs and the difference is huge.

gribly

I've driven around in many different cars with HID's. Sure, they light up the road more, but my point is, my regular headlights in all my vehicles have always been more than sufficient at anything remotely close to the legal speed limit. Hell, I rarely even turn my high beams on!

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

im thinking about using HIDs for fog lights

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Idk if I believe the p/o about the motor having ""60k"" on it.. timing belt is actually looking pretty healthy but the vc gasket is like mummified dried semen

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

grjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post

gaskets are old man, doesn't matter if they have 60k on them if they're 20 years old.. .and where did you steal that cooker from?