General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berticus
1987 CBR 600 = too powerful for a 260 lbs rider as a first bike?

With you I would say no. Have fun

Before you take the dive, do acknowledge that you are buying a 19 year old bike. You will probably be replacing some parts.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Berticus
SGT. GRUUUMBLES!

what about a Suzuki RF600R 96'

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Quote:
100hp = way too fast for a beginner.

McKnight

Quote:

Cant say ive ever seen one on the road. Seems cool though. If you like them both id get that.

Detman101

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess0fdiabl0
Me and a female friend are going to be going through the process of getting permit, msf, liscense etc soon, but im still having trouble finding that many options for a motorcycle. A rebel 250 would be better for the friend since she is tiny (5'4'' or 3) and ill be looking at a ninja 250 with a klr650 in the near future.

My newspaper has jack and shit. Craigslist only goes so far. Cycletrader is worse than craigslist.

Where are these bike dealerships everyone is speaking of? The only places i know of are in the new bike business, i have no idea where to find a used cycle dealer. Any other options or listings you guys can think of? or any recomendations for San Diego County?

You could do what I did and go to the junkyard and put one together yourself...
It may take substantially longer that way tho...

As an alternative you may want to go to a few bike shops and see what they have "out back". I've found a LOT of hidden gems that way. A LOT!
People bring bikes in to get fixed then don't want to pay the bill and just leave the bike (since they weren't serious about riding anyway) and the shop has to sell the bike at a loss. Great chance to pick up an almost freebie bike.
I got my Vulcan 750 for 800 dollars and my Rebel 250 for 1000 that way. It happened in the opposite order that I posted but you get the gist of it.
a76c8ac1161d68bd4ae415f5eb7cf3f4

Soapbox Exile

By the by, another question...

Are leather type pants really a must? Or will I be okay with thick jeans, an appropriate riding jacket, helmet, gloves, and my boots? Thing is, I'll hopefully be riding this to school and work and I won't have an opportunity to change before my classes, so sitting in a hot room with 100 other people wearing leather pants, the same pair every day, doesn't seem like something I'd be enthusiastic about.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Edit: How many miles will the average bike get on it with proper maintainance before it goes absolutely kaputt, by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detman101
You could do what I did and go to the junkyard and put one together yourself...
It may take substantially longer that way tho...

As an alternative you may want to go to a few bike shops and see what they have "out back". I've found a LOT of hidden gems that way. A LOT!
People bring bikes in to get fixed then don't want to pay the bill and just leave the bike (since they weren't serious about riding anyway) and the shop has to sell the bike at a loss. Great chance to pick up an almost freebie bike.
I got my Vulcan 750 for 800 dollars and my Rebel 250 for 1000 that way. It happened in the opposite order that I posted but you get the gist of it.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask... is motorcycle repair insanely complex or is it reasonable for someone like myself who has significant handy-work type experience to take up a project. I'm hoping to possibly learn more and if it's feasible try a summer and winter project to repair an old bike or put one together. I'm the type that does as much as possible by hand and I'm a quick learner, but I'm not even going to try it if it's going to be something that'd be an impossible task unless you've been doing it for 10+ years or something.

Last edited by Soapbox Exile; 04-05-2006 at 08:44 AM..

Psilocybes

They dont make jeans thick enough to save your legs in a crash. You dont need leathers but look into knee pads and/or hip armor that can be worn under jeans.

I wear textiles, but i'm in an office and just stash them under my desk.

As for the miles and maintiance... There is no average bike so this question is hard to answer. More than likely you will trade in or crash your bike before you ride it into the ground. Maint (again) depends on the bike. I have an air cooled 95 xj600. Its a simple bike to work on and with no fairings its easy to reach every part of the bike. Newer bikes have fuel injection, water cooling, computers and shit. I'm not sure about you but thats outside my skill set.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilocybes
They dont make jeans thick enough to save your legs in a crash. You dont need leathers but look into knee pads and/or hip armor that can be worn under jeans.

I wear textiles, but i'm in an office and just stash them under my desk.

As for the miles and maintiance... There is no average bike so this question is hard to answer. More than likely you will trade in or crash your bike before you ride it into the ground. Maint (again) depends on the bike. I have an air cooled 95 xj600. Its a simple bike to work on and with no fairings its easy to reach every part of the bike. Newer bikes have fuel injection, water cooling, computers and shit. I'm not sure about you but thats outside my skill set.
They do make jeans designed specifically for riding that have armor integated into them, but I agree that textiles that fit over your normal clothing is a better idea.
And if you wanted to, you could probably do a full rebuild of an old (ie /6 or before) BMW airhead in your garage with a manual, but newer bikes are a lot harder to work on than that.

im2smrt4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapbox Exile

Are leather type pants really a must? Or will I be okay with thick jeans, an appropriate riding jacket, helmet, gloves, and my boots? Thing is, I'll hopefully be riding this to school and work and I won't have an opportunity to change before my classes, so sitting in a hot room with 100 other people wearing leather pants, the same pair every day, doesn't seem like something I'd be enthusiastic about.
After going down wearing only jeans, I'd suggest wearing something more. Personally, I wear chaps over my jeans and stash them in my saddlebags when I get where I'm going, but unless you a riding a crusier chaps would be a bit odd.

McKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapbox Exile

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Edit: How many miles will the average bike get on it with proper maintainance before it goes absolutely kaputt, by the way?

Oh, I've been meaning to ask... is motorcycle repair insanely complex or is it reasonable for someone like myself who has significant handy-work type experience to take up a project. I'm hoping to possibly learn more and if it's feasible try a summer and winter project to repair an old bike or put one together. I'm the type that does as much as possible by hand and I'm a quick learner, but I'm not even going to try it if it's going to be something that'd be an impossible task unless you've been doing it for 10+ years or something.

People who say they wear leather pants are also the people that wear racing boots to work. Its really unnecessary. does it. Do you really want to be a goon like him?:P

Milage isnt too different. If you treat it like it wants to live forever it can. I talked with a guy that put enough miles on a 95 something that the odo started back at one and it still had life left in it. something like 130k. BUT do people buy bikes to treat them that way? Nah. They are generally crashed, or parted out by soo many miles.

As for doing it yourself.... You could do all of it except the vavle work which needs to be done every 20k miles. Pretty pricey too. Thats good because its going to save you a lot of money doing it all yourself.

As for why people are suggesting you do a complete overhaul of some old and busted for your first bike...I dont know

Last edited by HunteR; 04-05-2006 at 11:01 AM..

Berticus
SGT. GRUUUMBLES!

is it uncomfortable to ride a streetbike for hours?

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

depends on how well you fit on it and what sort of surface you are riding on. If its on smooth roads and you fit well on it, you should be fine.

electric!sheep

Quote:
is it uncomfortable to ride a streetbike for hours?

Sit on one and see how you feel. From what I hear, riding a real racebike would be crucifying after a couple of hours. On the other hand, there's a crazy fuck who's taking an R1 around the world, though with ergonomic improvements no doubt.

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunteR
As for doing it yourself.... You could do all of it except the vavle work which needs to be done every 20k miles. Pretty pricey too. Thats good because its going to save you a lot of money doing it all yourself.

WTF are you talking about? Maybe I'm missing something, but the only "valve work" that needs to be done is adjusting the clearance, which is a stupidly easy job if you have a few hours, and should not be left to the dealer or bike shop. Stealerships are notorious for "adjusting" your valve clearance, and upon inspection it's clear that none of the valve cover bolts were ever touched.

I adjusted the valve clearance on my Yamaha XT600 in 15 minutes due to the nicely placed valve portals in the head, along with the screw adjusted tappets. My KLR took more like 3 hours, but that was because it uses shims. I'm not sure what most sportbikes use, but I'm guessing they're adjustable.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
Sit on one and see how you feel. From what I hear, riding a real racebike would be crucifying after a couple of hours. On the other hand, there's a crazy fuck who's taking an R1 around the world, though with ergonomic improvements no doubt.
yeah, it depends on what kind of bike it is. if its an R1 or R6 or something, it isn't going to be too comfortable. if its on a GS500 or some other naked bike (or something with a similar seating position), you might get a lot of wind buffeting you but you won't be too cramped up.