General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2smrt4u
Well, without knowing more about the bike, I'm not sure, but smashing a faring would be so much better than cracking a case.

If you hit the case hard enough to crack it, your standard streetbike fairings would have been of little help. Plus, it's rare to hit the case unless you're riding an opposed twin like a BMW.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triden
I can't see road skills being too much different than dirt skills besides the watching for gravel, oil patches and that stuff. Either then that the basic concept is the same. So you figure I buy this one or try for something else?

The main difference is that you only THINK the trees/rocks are out to get you (sometimes), whereas on the street, other drivers really ARE out to get you. You have to be much more attentive on-road, but otherwise the basic concepts hold.

Anyway, if you ride dirt bikes now, why not look at a dual-sport?

Triden

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
The main difference is that you only THINK the trees/rocks are out to get you (sometimes), whereas on the street, other drivers really ARE out to get you. You have to be much more attentive on-road, but otherwise the basic concepts hold.

Anyway, if you ride dirt bikes now, why not look at a dual-sport?

I thought of a dual sport but then I was thinking if I wanted to really ride on dirt I would just use one of my dirtbikes. Might as well get a bike that is good a both jobs.

Ya, I don't think my local shop will let me test drive bikes. They wouldnt even let me testride my last dirtbike..but thats mostly because it's a 2 stroke. I'm going to be looking around for some deals and see what I can afford. Does buying a bike that has been layed down affect anything badly that I should know of? AFAIK when most slides occur it just scratches the body panels, but anything specific on street bikes that I should check to see is in working order before I buy? I'll do the usualy routines like wheel bearings, tires, fluid smell and colour, and things like that.

Cheech

it's mine!!

2002 Suzuki GSX600F Katana:

Took it out Wednesday for my first (ever) ride around a parking lot. My roommate is very experienced on bikes, and he was showing me different things to do. Walking alongside and working the clutch helped a LOT. After about a hour I was doing laps around the parking lot, and rode the 30ft. of road back to my house across the street.

I will be taking the Ohio equivalent of the MSF course next week, need to get my temps first.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detman101
Having dirtbike experience will only enhance your street ability.
Though it's not the same as dirt, the street experience can be dirt-like if you like kicking out the rear end and powersliding in turns.

I don't even know of anyplace that lets you testride a bike. Probably why I haven't gotten my SV-650 yet. Sitting on it in the showroom just doesn't get me addicted enough to buy one rather than rebuild a crashed one.

Colorado Powersports lets you test-drive bikes. you sign a waiver for insurance and stuff, and hand over your MSF cert, and off you go.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

electric!sheep

Quote:
I thought of a dual sport but then I was thinking if I wanted to really ride on dirt I would just use one of my dirtbikes. Might as well get a bike that is good a both jobs.

Who said anything about dirt?

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
Who said anything about dirt?

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Quote:
I've been riding dirtbikes all my life...started when I was 10 and now I have a yz250 that I beat on all the time. I consider myself a pretty good rider and very confident with many biking skills...slides, etc (and wheelies ). I've been wanting a road bike for a long ass time and am going to get one this summer. Basically my road bikes experience only includes riding my uncles old 500cc suzuki road hog for about an hour. I was sooo awesome and not hard to drive at all. Lately I've been looking at a 2003 r6 600cc bike. Do you guys think this will be 2 much for a beginner road bike? I'm sure I can probably handle it but seeing as how you say its a death warrent I have been wondering. I can't see road skills being too much different than dirt skills besides the watching for gravel, oil patches and that stuff. Either then that the basic concept is the same. So you figure I buy this one or try for something else?

Yea you could probably handle it but a lot of dirt bike riders go in thinking they already know everything since they rode in dirt their whole life, and end up hurting themselves. Badly. You sound like you could become that. Dont be that guy. Please please dont be that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess0fdiabl0
Hey quick question, my female friend purchased a ninja 500, brand new 2006 model. Lets get past the buying a new bike as a first bike stuff as i already tried as much as i could to talk her out of it but to no avail.
Obviously the fairings have a good chance of getting damaged if she drops the bike. Would it be safe for the bike to remove some of the fairings to make it look more like a naked bike for the first few months that she is learning on it? or are the fairings more than likely protecting vulnerable parts?

Plastics are purely for looks. they dont help crap.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunteR
Yea you could probably handle it but a lot of dirt bike riders go in thinking they already know everything since they rode in dirt their whole life, and end up hurting themselves. Badly. You sound like you could become that. Dont be that guy. Please please dont be that guy.
Plastics are purely for looks. they dont help crap.
i agree that he could easily end up hurting himself, but at least he isn't getting a literbike or something crazy like that.

and the plastics can be there to protect stuff from grime, but in a crash they won't do shit.

princess0fdiabl0

I posted in the other bike thread but then i got my gear on and attempted to run it around my small back patio. I suck at it so far but oh well ill get ze skills in MSF.

Pics:

soot!

mattress

hey! nice bike!

I'm looking at getting an 01 here within the next month:

Quote:
2001 Suzuki GS500 $1950, just in time for this great riding weather

Dark Blue, looks good, Brand new battery and rear tire, runs great, reliable, 55 MPG. Aftermarket can and bars.
Makes a great first bike- light, fun, quick, easy and cheap to work on. Very cheap to insure.
here's my thread on it when i was uber excited on my find:
(picks & more info)
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=636918

Last edited by mattress; 04-22-2006 at 03:43 PM..

Psilocybes

a trip to the 'wall' above Berkeley on thrus.

Last edited by Psilocybes; 04-23-2006 at 10:21 AM..

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

its always great seeing places that you recognize. whyd you de-image tag it? i hope posting it as a link to make it easier for people is ok: http://x002.uploaderx.net/x/test.JPG

Psilocybes

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush
its always great seeing places that you recognize. whyd you de-image tag it? i hope posting it as a link to make it easier for people is ok: http://x002.uploaderx.net/x/test.JPG

oops thx.

alphaivt

with gas prices rising dramatically, i've been considering a bike as a daily driver to work (25 miles one way) and my accord for everything else.

what expenses should i be looking at when considering a bike?
-bike
-helmet
-gloves
-pants?
-boots/shoes?