General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karax
Hey so I figure I might post this here:

my bike has developed a flat spot in the throttle, like I can make about 1/8th of a turn and it works fine, then from like 2/8-3/8 it just dies, and then from the rest of the turn it works fine again. I really have no idea what might be causing this so I thought I might as well throw it up here.
Include specs on the bike? EFI or Carb?
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

karax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNone
Pull one of the bowls off one of the carbs while it is still on the bike and check to see if there is some sediment in the bottom of the bowl <--Make sure you have the gas off, or at least not in the "Prime" position, and that you don't lose the float or the needle since they may come off with the bowl. If there is something in there, like red sediment, you'll need to seal your tank because it is rusting and they aren't cheap to replace. You'll have to pull the carbs after this to clean the jets.

If there is dirt in the bowl, get a decent fuel filter, pull the carbs and clean the jets. They're probably clogged.

You'll clean the jets with carb cleaner only, Don't use wires or picks or anything because you'll change the sizing and have to replace them.

Oh, how mechanically inclined are you to do this?

ok I'll take it apart this weekend, I was thinking it's the carb. I havent done too much mechanically, but I do all work on my bike myself. Sounds like a good weekend project (hopefully it wont be too bad )

Its a 96 GS500e sorry for not saying that before.

MasterOfNone
Nice sack, May I gargle?

Quote:
ok I'll take it apart this weekend, I was thinking it's the carb. I havent done too much mechanically, but I do all work on my bike myself. Sounds like a good weekend project (hopefully it wont be too bad )

Its a 96 GS500e sorry for not saying that before.

If you don't have a shop manual, get one. They're worth their weight in gold when problems come around...and regular maintenance. Take a few pics of the carbs and cables before you take them off too, so you don't have any problems with cables binding when you put them back on.

karax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNone
If you don't have a shop manual, get one. They're worth their weight in gold when problems come around...and regular maintenance. Take a few pics of the carbs and cables before you take them off too, so you don't have any problems with cables binding when you put them back on.

I have the haynes manual for my bike, I might go to the suzuki dealership though and see if they have an official shop manual I can buy. Thanks for the advice, and will do with the pics

princess0fdiabl0

get the gs500 clymers manual, it has everything you need, and dont forget to sign up at gstwin.org.

karax

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess0fdiabl0
get the gs500 clymers manual, it has everything you need, and dont forget to sign up at gstwin.org.

I read gstwin every so often, and ya Ive heard the clymers is good. Im pretty much just trying to get it running well so I can ride it a bit more and then sell it in the beginning of next years season. Its done me good for the last 3k miles

Detman101

Quote:
Hey so I figure I might post this here:

my bike has developed a flat spot in the throttle, like I can make about 1/8th of a turn and it works fine, then from like 2/8-3/8 it just dies, and then from the rest of the turn it works fine again. I really have no idea what might be causing this so I thought I might as well throw it up here.

Disassemble your carbs and clean your needle jets.
Get a piece of piano wire and poke out all the holes in the emulsion tubes so that the fuel and air mix correctly for your mid-range.
Also check that your main jets are clean and clear....no sediment or crud in them or in the bowl at the bottom of the carb getting sucked up into your jets.

Go by this guide to dissasemble your carbs since you're riding a Suzuki too.
Yours will only be 2 carbs though. Mine's the 4 shown in the guide but the parts will be the same.
http://www.thegsresources.com/files/...g%20Series.pdf
a76c8ac1161d68bd4ae415f5eb7cf3f4

Last edited by Detman101; 08-04-2006 at 12:14 PM..

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Last edited by Junkie Mod; 08-04-2006 at 07:57 PM..

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detman101
Disassemble your carbs and clean your needle jets.
Get a piece of piano wire and poke out all the holes in the emulsion tubes so that the fuel and air mix correctly for your mid-range.
Also check that your main jets are clean and clear....no sediment or crud in them or in the bowl at the bottom of the carb getting sucked up into your jets.

Go by this guide to dissasemble your carbs since you're riding a Suzuki too.
Yours will only be 2 carbs though. Mine's the 4 shown in the guide but the parts will be the same.
http://www.thegsresources.com/files/...g%20Series.pdf

Hrm, I don't like the idea of poking anything metal in the holes. Just spray some B12 Chemtool and it'll blow out any gas deposits or dirt. It's the shit, just make sure to use nitrile chemical gloves (thin disposable gloves like latex, find 'em at kragen) to keep yourself cancer-free.

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
Hrm, I don't like the idea of poking anything metal in the holes. Just spray some B12 Chemtool and it'll blow out any gas deposits or dirt. It's the shit, just make sure to use nitrile chemical gloves (thin disposable gloves like latex, find 'em at kragen) to keep yourself cancer-free.
i hope it isn't too carcinogenic, I definitely got some on my hands when I was cleaning out my gas tank yesterday

Mandres

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep

The tingle lets you know it's working!

electric!sheep

Smoking deal on a nice dual sport bike, for you bay area folk:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/188868956.html

mrcalkin

Anyone mind posting some motorcycling forum links? I found a couple of sv650 forums that were sort of small, but I was wondering if there was some definitive resource for motorcycling, or even just for particular brands?

edit: Just saw gstwin.com further up the page, something like that for sv650's or ninja 500's would be great

Last edited by mrcalkin; 08-05-2006 at 12:40 PM..

lopoetve

ok guys, I need advice. Bike shopping, and here are my options:

1996 ZX9-R, $3800 (after trade), 20k miles, aftermarket (muzzy) pipe, new front/rear tire, new fork seals.
1982 Suzuki GS650l, $1250 (after trade), 20k miles, new front tire, carbs cleaned, new fork seals. Great condition
2003 Suzuki SV650, $3800 (no trade), 2k miles, would have to fly to illinois ($200) and then drive it back to colorado (15 hours minimum). Would try to sell the Nighthawk I currently have.

I've got the cash for any. Which would you all do? All are in great shape, clean, etc.

Edit: links
http://www.rockymountainkawasaki.com...0R0&veh=338563

http://www.rockymountainkawasaki.com...0R0&veh=368803

The price on the GS is wrong.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Last edited by lopoetve; 08-05-2006 at 04:00 PM..

MasterOfNone
Nice sack, May I gargle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcalkin
Anyone mind posting some motorcycling forum links? I found a couple of sv650 forums that were sort of small, but I was wondering if there was some definitive resource for motorcycling, or even just for particular brands?

edit: Just saw gstwin.com further up the page, something like that for sv650's or ninja 500's would be great

http://www.svrider.com/