General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

princess0fdiabl0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFleshRocket
My thoughts exactly. Stupid fucking bicyclists, they're like suicidal mobile chicanes on the roadway. When the speed limit is 45 and I come upon some pedal-biker doing half that and have to take evasive action, that just pisses me off.

I don't know what moron got the idea that bicycles should share the road with motorized vehicles. There are signs on interstate on-ramps that say "Motor-driven cycles prohibited". Well a bicycle on a regular street is akin to a moped on the interstate, and neither one of them makes a damn bit of sense.

Regarding sidewalks, a collision between a pedestrian and a bicyclist is a lot less likely to result in serious injury than a collision between a bicyclist and a motorized vehicle. Keeping bikes off sidewalks might be saving a few pedestrians from some scraped knees or bruises but it opens bicyclists up to worse stuff, like being dead.
whats worse are those gay biking groups that take up full twisty roads on a sunday morning with double yellow lines... i mean what the fuck, at least they could ride in a line on the side or something. At least im usually on my motorcylcle and can just slide through, if i was in my car id have to go all the way into the other lane

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

lopoetve

anyone know where I can get smaller than 31mm cheek pads for a shoei RF-1000?
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

MasterOfNone
Nice sack, May I gargle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve

Call wherever you bought the helmet from and ask them. Most of the time they will give you a huge discount because you bought from them. A good dealer would have fit the helmet to you before you left, at least that's what the local dealer around here (www.recleisure.com) does.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
31mm is the thinnest official ones the Shoei sells. I don't know if there are such things as replacement aftermarket cheek pads... maybe you need a bigger helmet w/ thicker pads?
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows
31mm is the thinnest official ones the Shoei sells. I don't know if there are such things as replacement aftermarket cheek pads... maybe you need a bigger helmet w/ thicker pads?

Bigger helmet is ~way~ too big. Even with bigger cheek pads, I can't stand it.

Sigh. What happens if you ride without the pads? I need a helmet that doesn't have as much drag/lift as my cheapo HJC CS-12, and the Shoei I just bought fixes that...

But after 30 minutes of riding, i can't stand the thing. Whoever thought of using your cheeks to hold the thing on was smoking something.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNone
Call wherever you bought the helmet from and ask them. Most of the time they will give you a huge discount because you bought from them. A good dealer would have fit the helmet to you before you left, at least that's what the local dealer around here (www.recleisure.com) does.

They fit it as best they could. They didn't have any smaller pads, and it seemed to fit ok. It's just kinda cumbersome.

I may just return it and buy a nicer HJC.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Bigger helmet is ~way~ too big. Even with bigger cheek pads, I can't stand it.

Sigh. What happens if you ride without the pads? I need a helmet that doesn't have as much drag/lift as my cheapo HJC CS-12, and the Shoei I just bought fixes that...

But after 30 minutes of riding, i can't stand the thing. Whoever thought of using your cheeks to hold the thing on was smoking something.
I've never heard of anyone complain about the cheekpads before. You deformity
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows
I've never heard of anyone complain about the cheekpads before. You deformity

lol. I've got a round head, not oblong What can I say?

Ah well. it's going back, helmet rec. thread opened
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

CanuckDave

Well I've wanted to start biking for ages, with my car being down right now I figure now is as good a time as ever. I've already got a helmet, I've been using it for Autocrossing and stuff, and I got a jacket off ebay for a good price.
I'm registerest in a rider training class at the local tech college (http://www.nait.ca/motorcycles) for the first weekend of september, I can't freaking wait.
As soon as I get through the course and get my class 6 I'm going to start looking for a bike, I'll most likely buy a late '80s or early '90s 600, I want something with enough power for highway riding, and I know I've got enough self restraint not to get myself into trouble.
I was thinking about getting a new Sv650s, but I want to start out on something older, then its not such a big deal if / when it gets dropped

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

even my ninja 250 has enough power for freeway speeds (i still have a permit as opposed to license and therefore can't legally do freeway, but that doesn't mean I haven't hit freeway speeds). something like an EX500 should have plenty of power for freeway.

CanuckDave

I'm not dead set on getting a 600, I'd like to get a ninja 500R or something like that, but I haven't had much luck finding one around here. The local used bike market kind of sucks.
I also want something that I can fix up and ride for a few years, that I can grow into and won't get bored with.

electric!sheep

For fixing up, start with a 650cc single-cylinder carbureted bike. For example, I can remove my carburetor and swap jets in under 20 minutes. If I practiced, I could get it down to 10. The amount I've learned about bike basics is incredible, and all that knowledge applies to other bikes as well (as a foundation, at least).

CanuckDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
For fixing up, start with a 650cc single-cylinder carbureted bike. For example, I can remove my carburetor and swap jets in under 20 minutes. If I practiced, I could get it down to 10. The amount I've learned about bike basics is incredible, and all that knowledge applies to other bikes as well (as a foundation, at least).

any particular bikes I should look for?

this is the kind of thing I want, I like to do everything that I can myself, so easier to work on the better..

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckDave
any particular bikes I should look for?

this is the kind of thing I want, I like to do everything that I can myself, so easier to work on the better..
he is talking about his KLR 650

CanuckDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie Mod
he is talking about his KLR 650

complely missed the single cylinder part

I really need to get some sleep