General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

Socket Organizer

Since you guys know a thing or two about tools I figured I would start here.

I am in need of some socket organizers for a gauging car at work. Basically I need to mount sockets in a way that is permanent, but leaves the sockets easily identifiable. I was thinking of epoxying them to a socket organizer, which would work but I am not sure of the best type to use. I don't think the standard rail one is going to cut the mustard because the sockets would come off too easily. Need to keep people from using these for repairs/other purposes.

I have about 2-dozen sockets that need to be mounted on these kits. All the way from 2mm Hex all the way to 1 1/2 inch hex sockets. Including Torx, Torx Plus and Philips bits. We use these kits to make sure the tool engages the drive of fasteners when they come off the end of the line.

If anyone has a novel idea of how to arrange these things I'd love to hear it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

RazorWind

Can you not just get a strip of metal and weld the sockets to it?

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

most sockets have those holes through one side near the drive side, use a strip of steel with holes spaced evenly to bolt the sockets to the steel, and use a buttload of red loctite on each bolt so that someone fucking around can't get to them

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Can you not just get a strip of metal and weld the sockets to it?

Most sockets are chrome which does not weld well. Also some of them will be coated for rust prevention which will not allow them to be welded. Then there is the issue of the metal strips warping when welded since all we have is a MIG.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

doesn't have to warp if you use a MIG, you can do a series of tack welds all around

Asa of the Infidel Crew

uRizen

Drill a hole going through each socket at the base, run a smooth rod with threaded ends through the holes, drop some epoxy in a pair of acorn nuts and tighten on the ends.

Make the rod a bit longer than the combined length of all the sockets so they can wiggle around a bit and don't get in each others way.

princess0fdiabl0

get a washer that will fit in each of them and bolt them to a piece of wood/steel/whatever? The tiny ones would need some special consideration but not much.

pepperochini

just jb weld that shit right up.

RazorWind

What if you use one of those standard rail things, but drilled a hole through the base of the sockets AND the nipple things on rail, and put some sort of pin through the hole?

Forever Domon

to mount sockets (permanent or not) I always just drilled a hole in a piece of wood the size of the base, and stuck them in there.

If you needed it to be permanent, just toss some epoxy in the bottom of each drilled hole before sticking the socket in there.

edit: if these are purely for gauging, will they need to fit in tight spaces, etc? If so, a lot of the ideas in this thread wont work, including mine. In that case, id recommend drilling a hole in them and putting them all essentially on a bike lock type chain.