General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

u467

Clutch line woes

So I'm 3000 miles from home, trying to settle into a new one on the west coast; I ended up driving my H swapped accord across the continent in an epic road trip, didn't miss a beat.

Yesterday while in bumper to bumper traffic, I lost clutch pedal. It just stayed on the floor. I thought it was weird since my master and slave cylinders were brand new. Used the starter to bump it into a parking lot and waited for CAA.

Turns out the swapped motor intake's Helmholtz resonator rubbed a hole through the rubber portion of my clutch line :T

This all said, is it advisable to reuse the hardline and retrofit a braided stainless line inbetween? I was thinking of cutting and flaring the hardline and try to fit these on:

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc...niversal.shtml
ENDURA UNIVERSAL STAIGHT -3 AN TO STRAIGHT -3 AN HOSE
9" Endura Universal Hose 656012
12" Endura Universal Hose 656022

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

d114

seeing that you're stuck somewhere and needing to get the car home, can't you just go to cskauto and pick up a prelude or accord rubber line?

RazorWind

Is the hard line crimped directly to the rubber part on this car or something?

The MR2 community has a stainless one that's sort of the go-to replacement part when doing clutches, but our clutch lines have a threaded fitting for the rubber one to attach to, making installation really easy.

u467

It is crimped directly.

Forgot to add, my new work doesn't require me to have a car all the time, and I have one on loaner from family. Also I have a place to store and work on it for the time being.... although there's an autocross I want to make for Oct 30.

RazorWind

Cutting and flaring the hard line is what I'd look at doing, I think. NAPA stores seem to be able to make custom crimped lines; I think they make brake lines too.

u467

Do you think I can just pull the entire hydraulic portion, drop it off at NAPA and pay them to make it their problem?

OE Honda line from Pacific Honda is $207 + tax

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

so long as NAPA has the hose ends, they'll be able to do it pretty easily, if they weren't busy they'd be able to knock it out in about 15 minutes or so

make sure you explain what happened, and ask for either additional length to route it around, or something to protect it from rubbing

Asa of the Infidel Crew

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by u467 View Post
Do you think I can just pull the entire hydraulic portion, drop it off at NAPA and pay them to make it their problem?

OE Honda line from Pacific Honda is $207 + tax

I expect you just need to bring them the hard line, and the remains of the rubber one, if you want them to make you the replacement for that, too.

Getting the hard line out of an MR2 is a deal breaker, as it's eight feet long and buried inside the center tunnel, but I'd think it ought to be easy on a 90s Honda.

As I recall, the tool to flare lines yourself isn't that expensive, you might find that you can just buy the replacement stainless hose, and put the right end on the hard line yourself.

u467

Thanks for the info guys!

Hopefully I can make it out for some oct 30 funtimes.