General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
Tex, i wish you'd do one mega-quote

and pics will be when i'm gluing it, at the very soonest, maybe when i complete the entire thing

, I'm too busy trolling your sorry thread, areg.

And I do not accept that answer  despite having 3 weeks worth of pics and commentary related to my as-yet unfinished radio install  , get to posting therad, .

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

SUCK MY DIIIIIIICKKKKKK
I'M A SHARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKK

SO SUCK MY DIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
SUCK MY DIIIIIIICKKKKKK
I'M A SHARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKK

SO SUCK MY DIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

digital matt

Quote:
I mean the damned things that let you mate two pieces of plastic together. I don't know what the fucking technical name for the tool is.

there is more than one way to weld plastic..... quit being a prick when someone is asking an honest question.

all the plastic welding i have ever seen done is not visually pleasing. it is messy at best, and needs a lot of touching up in various way. just use epoxy or a chemical adhesive for the type of plastic you want to bond. you should be able to find a plastic specific adhesive that will actually chemically melt the plastic a little and bond the pieces as one.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital matt View Post
there is more than one way to weld plastic..... quit being a prick when someone is asking an honest question.

all the plastic welding i have ever seen done is not visually pleasing. it is messy at best, and needs a lot of touching up in various way. just use epoxy or a chemical adhesive for the type of plastic you want to bond. you should be able to find a plastic specific adhesive that will actually chemically melt the plastic a little and bond the pieces as one.

--John Hobbs

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital matt View Post

we've covered this
also, that's domon being domon, my response was perfectly acceptable

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Tex Arcana

Quote:
we've covered this
also, that's domon being domon, my response was perfectly acceptable

Dude, I had this covered, kthx.

--John Hobbs

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

MEK will weld plastic.

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

use a solder iron

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
use a solder iron

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

You probably get high as shit and lose (-X)^t brain cells while doing it...

sneetch

I would have asked my pops, but it looks like you got your answer. Good luck.

Quote:
best check yourself, 'fore you wreck yourself

I haven't heard anyone say this in a really long time.

asa

so, i started this almost as soon as i found out about the acetone, used a new grill i picked up a while back from National Parts Depot (it was $25 or so, every junkyard i looked at wanted $30-35 for a used one )

for the goop, use some food-grade plastic, or a glass bottle as neither of them will react to the acetone. there is a slight exothermic reaction to this, but nothing to be worried about, the hot water from my sink gets hotter
i'd recommend more acetone than ABS, i filled the container with plastic, then put acetone over it until it covered it and that was it, it's slightly too thick like that, though, so once i use up some of it i'll add more acetone so it spreads and sinks in better

i would recommend you cut up the ABS scrap in a baggie or something, as that shit flies all over the damned place

i played around with a lot of different ways to get everything held in the right position, thankfully i spread the first layer in every piece in a very thin layer, so i was able to cut through it with just a razor knife and reposition it when i screwed up

as i mentioned earlier, not all plastics will melt with acetone, so i used a for-sale sign to prevent drips through, but the goop is thick enough that i really didn't need it, once i thin the mix i think i might need it though

Asa of the Infidel Crew

asa

i finally settled on this method of holding the replacement pieces, it seems to be the best way to ensure it stays level, and let you re-position everything to best hold it

i'd take pics of what i have completed, but i've got one bit still drying, and i don't want to disturb it
that's one thing that really sucks about this, it takes almost a full day for everything to dry to a good hardness, but once i get all the pieces where i want them i should be able to slather it on there and let it sit

for the finishing work, i'm thinking of sanding/filing down the excess, then taking a cotton ball or rag soaked in acetone and wiping it across it so it softens it and evens it back out, we'll see how it works

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Tex Arcana

Well, it's about fucking time, you slacker.

National Parts Depot? What else do they sell? I just tried hitting the site, but the fucks have a Flash-only site, the bastards.

--John Hobbs

acidfast7

$25 for a grille ... god damn ... what is it made out of ... plastic?

that's 10-fold less than I spend for a power window switch (185 €).