General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

KorruptioN

Cars that are designed by focus groups. Sigh.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
I love how everyone immediately assumes it is a piece of shit, yet hasn't driven it, learned anything of the chassis, suspension or drivetrain. A well-educated and open-minded lot you are indeed. It is a concept and as the snippet indicated, only one possible direction that they could take. Obviously there is some internal conjecture as to whether LR needs yet another high-priced and leather wrapped soft-roader for the well funded soccer mom or if they can fit a true to their heritage off-road utility vehicle into their fold while still being profitable.

Well, I can tell you right now it doesn't even have fucking axles, there is almost zero chance of an actual real transfer case (most jeeps haven't even had these since the '80's) and there is more sidewall on a GTO than that thing. So yeah, there goes your theory of not having a clue.

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

looks a lot like that Toyota piece of junk... but, tbh, i like it...

good luck trying to get a positive response in Automay where the majority of users are elitist pigs who think of themselves as the be-all-end-all of all things automotive who are above and beyond change and anything new.... trust me, anyone here who doesn't like it is a douche trying to look cool by promoting the old* (i.e. classic) and shitting on the new

*the same douchebags who think any mustang from the 80s and up is complete trash

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

news flash, unless you are a 50+ year old dentist you should love new concepts and designs

jaredballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
The old Defenders were awesome and I'd gladly terrorize the trails in one, until I got stuck and then used the awesome winch up front to pull myself out and rinse, repeat.

This concept looks like you'd expect it to with a fair bit more modern styling and adorned with the corporate attire that LR has been moving toward for the last several years. I like the styling and find it a bit more rugged-looking than the attractive and sleek Evoque; which makes no pretenses about being tailored to the city traveler. The Evoque and indirectly compared Ford Explorer both appear to have more city in their veins than trail, but articles about them seem to view them as rather capable, belying their unibody structures and heated-seats.

I love how everyone immediately assumes it is a piece of shit, yet hasn't driven it, learned anything of the chassis, suspension or drivetrain. A well-educated and open-minded lot you are indeed. It is a concept and as the snippet indicated, only one possible direction that they could take. Obviously there is some internal conjecture as to whether LR needs yet another high-priced and leather wrapped soft-roader for the well funded soccer mom or if they can fit a true to their heritage off-road utility vehicle into their fold while still being profitable.

Ladder frames, Solid Axles, LSD/lockers, Steel Bumpers/Bull Bars, Wide-large-tracked tires are foundations of a true off-roader. This looks like it would fall apart the moment it encountered a rock. People buy Defenders to drive off-road, not to prance around the highway in, for example a Toyota Highlander. Land Rover doesn't understand their target audience sometimes.

Edit: haha forget a second about their other product lines exclusively for soccer moms

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Evoque is far better, and according to TopGear magazine, is a killer offroader. If this thing is the real deal, the looks won't matter much (look at the cargasm paroxysms the Jeep fanatics have every time something that looks like Mickey Mouse just snorted some heroin hits the streets), the fanatics will just wet themselves every time the thing shakes it's tail.

I just had to google Evoque because I don't know shit, only to scroll through tons of pics of an Evoque cruising on highways and 1 pic of it going through a real puddle!

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiah View Post
I just had to google Evoque because I don't know shit, only to scroll through tons of pics of an Evoque cruising on highways and 1 pic of it going through a real puddle!

Same deal - about as off-road capable as a first gen subaru forester.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

If I wanted something that looked like that I would put giant wheels on a Honda Element and save about $25k. Seriously though, those huge wheels plus relatively low profile tires look ill suited to both off-roading as well as on road ride quality.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
If I wanted something that looked like that I would put giant wheels on a Honda Element and save about $25k. Seriously though, those huge wheels plus relatively low profile tires look ill suited to both off-roading as well as on road ride quality.

Well this looks a lot more capable than an element with tires and a lift would be to be honest. The tires look tall enough, the ground clearance is good for it's wheel base... I'm sure it's actually a fun little deal.

People are looking at it wrong. No it isn't a rock crawler. That's what a rubicon is for. This is the classic range rover spirit of being comfortable out in the middle of nowhere. None of them were honestly that impressive in stock form for any sort of hard core wheeling. This is a continuation of that using more modern technology.

someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Well this looks a lot more capable than an element with tires and a lift would be to be honest. The tires look tall enough, the ground clearance is good for it's wheel base... I'm sure it's actually a fun little deal.

People are looking at it wrong. No it isn't a rock crawler. That's what a rubicon is for. This is the classic range rover spirit of being comfortable out in the middle of nowhere. None of them were honestly that impressive in stock form for any sort of hard core wheeling. This is a continuation of that using more modern technology.

The defender was NOT a "comfortable middle of nowhere" type deal. The defender was the jeep or the fj-40. I don't have a problem with the car, seems pretty cool, but the name is all wrong for the vehicle, you know what I mean? its like calling the G6 a Firebird, that shit wouldn't have flown (HA HA PUN!)
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post
The defender was NOT a "comfortable middle of nowhere" type deal. The defender was the jeep or the fj-40. I don't have a problem with the car, seems pretty cool, but the name is all wrong for the vehicle, you know what I mean? its like calling the G6 a Firebird, that shit wouldn't have flown (HA HA PUN!)

I see what you mean, I wasn't thinking about that model specifically. Most rovers were definitely more about comfort and back roads than mud pits and telephone poles. Not sure about the defender I never had a chance to drive one.

Some kids in HS had those older rangerovers and they weren't super impressive. I could take a 2wd toyota pickup into places they had trouble with.

someone else

Quote:
I see what you mean, I wasn't thinking about that model specifically. Most rovers were definitely more about comfort and back roads than mud pits and telephone poles. Not sure about the defender I never had a chance to drive one.

Some kids in HS had those older rangerovers and they weren't super impressive. I could take a 2wd toyota pickup into places they had trouble with.

yeah, the defender was a stripped out truck. youre probably thinking disco or range rover.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post
yeah, the defender was a stripped out truck. youre probably thinking disco or range rover.

Which is why I mentioned the rangerover by name Discos are one step away from an escape imho.

someone else

Quote:
Which is why I mentioned the rangerover by name

well some people call all land rovers range rovers.

with the softness of your brain, i wanted to be clear.

(i've been drinking, thought you said land rover, not range rover)
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

[H]ard|On

Well everyone has soft brains. I thought mine were harder than normal according to several on this board